“If I could only stay longer!”

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
Ranked #37 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed here for a night in April 2014. Got a room upgrade as a Starwood Preferred Guest. My room was at the 52nd floor facing the People's Park. It was a great view but I guess the better views are on the other side as you will see The Bund from there.
The hotel location is superb which is just a few steps away from Nanjing Road. Service was great.
I just love the room and the view. It was very cozy and relaxing. I was not able to enjoy the breakfast buffet as I was in a hurry to catch my flight but they have a very good food selection.
I wish I could have stayed longer. I will be back in Shanghai this year and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Whitney35, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Ryan G,
We are so pleased to receive such positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! The greatest advantage to the design of our building, and to it’s location in the city center is that you have a beautiful view no matter where your room is located! Next time, let us know you’d like to experience the bund facing rooms! We hope you have a little bit more time during your next visit to Shanghai as our breakfast selection includes something for everyone! We look forward to seeing you soon!

Until then,

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

We loved this hotel from the minute we stepped into our room on the 55th floor! As Starwood Preferred Guests, we provided our membership number prior to arrival and think we received an upgrade as a result as we were in a Club room on the higher club floors but without the additional club benefits but the room was amazing! We had a gorgeous and stunning view over People's Park and the city. The room was amazing - huge room with a sofa/ sitting area at the bottom of the bed area. We also had a wet room with huge bath and shower which had a glass panel looking into the bedroom and out over the city if u left the blinds open - stunning! We had free bottled water updated daily which was fantastic. However you were also able to get a tasty apple water in the main reception area. We had a room rate including breakfast which was fantastic - the buffet was spread all over the breakfast area with endless choices, this must keep all guests happy! The hotel was in a perfect location for getting around and seeing the sights. If you enjoy to walk, which we do, we walked daily down to the Bund. There were also plenty of taxis available at the front door and concierge can provide a card with the hotel address for any return journeys due to local drivers not always able to speak any English. However there are also local metro spots at people's park/ square if you prefer public transport. Basically the room and stay has just spoiled us for future stays elsewhere... We had a wonderful visit and would definitely return to Le Royal Meridien if returning to Shanghai.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear LEHF,
We greatly appreciate the time you’ve taken to leave us so many positive comments following your stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! As a loyal SPG member, it is extremely important for us to offer whichever benefits possible for you upon your arrival! We are happy to know that you enjoyed the upper level room! We will share your praises with our culinary team as they work very hard to insure our breakfast has a wide variety and is always at the highest quality. We look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai in the very near future!

Safe travels,

Reviewed 27 April 2014

The rooms at this hotel are nice but not super upscale however when booking I think location is the prime consideration and this one had a great location. You're really right in the center of the action. East Nanjing road starts outside the door and it's always bustling, it's about a 12 min. walk to the Bund and peoples square station can get you anywhere quickly. It's the tallest hotel on the Puxi side of the river and there is a bar on the 65th floor that does have great views (smoking section has Pudong view). Also, if you're there on a Sunday and you're willing to splurge the Sunday brunch is very good and very fun. The brunch has unlimited champagne and lots of high end foods like oysters, lobsters, foie gras and a whole slew of other stuff. It has a theme and with that theme comes some colorful characters such as a woman rolling around inside an inflatable ball, and some women dressed as nurses that give men syringe shots of bloody mary, expensive but I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear jrs576,
We are happy to hear from you following your recent stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! Our location is extremely central and it is always wonderful to learn that this is an advantage to our guests, both leisure and business alike. Our Sunday Brunch, La Vie en Rose, is one element of which we are most proud! It was wonderful that you had the time to join us for this unique experience! We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed here when I first came to Shanghai in the summer of 2013. The service was incredible and the location is in the center of everything in Shanghai. The breakfast buffet has a very, very large number of choices. If you stay in one of the higher floors you get some really great views of the city. I was very impressed with the overall quality.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Dear Matthew R,
We are so happy to hear such wonderful reviews following your recent stay with us at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai! It is always great to receive feedback that we can pass on to all our hardworking associates. We hope to see you again in Shanghai very soon!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I read reviews that service in this hotel is below expectations of an SPG hotel- I simply shrugged off those comments as guests not understanding the language or culture. But I was proven wrong.

1. Front desk staff do not accord recognition to SPG Platinum. In fact, I had queued at the SPG Platinum queue and all the times, guests queuing in the normal queue were served first and even though they came much later than me.

2. Why I had to queue at the front desks a few times? Because the key cards failed to work, not once but twice. Not one card but 2 cards - and the front desk staff had the cheek to tell me that it was because. I had my mobile phone too close to the key card. The same key card issue also happened to the guest next to my room - and also twice.

3. Breakfast at lobby area closed precisely at 1030am, in fact 2 minutes before 1030am on one occasion. And the reception just simple refuse to let me in although I told here I will be quick.

4. Evening cocktails at Club Floor were often not replenished - it is simply embarrassing to open the covers of the trays to find them empty, not one but almost all.
Is this Shanghai culture not to provide good service - No. I had stayed at lesser known hotels with multiple times better.

5. Pillows are very soft. if you like soft pillows, that's great. however, I need better support for my neck and asked for firmer pillows - 2 new pillows were delivered to the room but they were not much help as they were only slight firmer.

Room Tip: If you want a central location with good access to the subway lines - this would be a good choice bu...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Merpati88

Dear Merp,
We greatly appreciate the feedback you’ve provided for us following your recent stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. All comments are constructive for our team! Our loyal SPG members are of utmost importance to us and it is essential that all our associates recognize SPG members and provide for them the deserved benefits. We apologize for your experience at the front desk. Please rest assured that we have communicated this feedback with our reception team and that we are doing everything we can to prevent this lack of recognition in the future. It is true that our breakfast ends at 10:30AM and this punctuality stems from our need to both clean the breakfast areas thoroughly while also preparing the lunch buffet which begins at 12:00PM. Nonetheless, our team could have explained this to you while also helping you find a solution for you to have some breakfast. We have shared all the comments you’ve left with us with our respective teams around the hotel and we are working to better train our associates so they are prepared to handle any small situation that might arise with our guests. The time that you’ve taken to share these experiences with us greatly aides us in identifying the areas in which we need to continue to work. So again, we thank you! We do hope to see you again in Shanghai very soon!

Have a wonderful day,

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have stayed in this hotel many times over the last few years. I stay there now often.

It is an amazing Exec lounge. In my complaints to Marriott (lifetime elite platinum member) I have used this hotel as an example of "how to do it right".

The front desk is always amply staffed, (different than many other hotels), is EAGER to upgrade to suites and treats us like returning family.

The rooms are good, would be excellent but I don't like the big huge pillows, would like more small ones instead….but I should ask, I know that they would accommodate me pronto.

Ben Zahn (Hotel Manager) has introduced himself (along with Ashley, Food & Bev manager) and when in need, he arranged to have my passport/visa shipped personally to him. So he could make sure it was forwarded to me. Amazing Service indeed. I could go on and on but this is a very fine hotel and the best SPG day in /day out that I stay in.

Additionally, when my bags were stranded at the airport because of a schedule change, Ben offered his concierge service to me, who promptly offered to go to the airport, pick up the bags and store them for me until my return? Amazing service.

This is the best service and most complete package I have found at any hotel change. Their Exec Lounge is beyond compare. My home away from home.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear harry c,
It is so wonderful to hear such positive feedback from your numerous experiences with us at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. We are extremely proud to have both Ben and Ashley on our team and we will most definitely share your comments and praises with them! Be sure to let us know what we can do in the future to make your stay more comfortable, even if it’s simply to ask for smaller pillows! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Travel safe,

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

The le royal meridien is ideally located and is a really lovely hotel. Rooms are great and breakfast variety is huge. However I should say that the bathroom area isn't that nice.it is more like a 3 and half star. Besides that everything was great under all categories.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Moey V,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback following your stay at Le Royal Méridien Shanghai. We are pleased to know that our city center location was of convenience to you! We will share your praises for our breakfast selection in Le Bistrot with our culinary team! We look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai soon!