“Location Location Location”

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
Ranked #37 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Right in the middle of the bustling City lies this beautiful hotel. Rooms are fabulous, hotel is spotless and very smart.

The swimming pool and fitness centre were first class with a lovely terrace for sunbathing.

My only criticism is that the staff were not very child-friendly, much more of a commercial hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 January 2011

This hotel has an ideal location in Shanghai, right next to Nanjing Lu shopping street. The hotel itself is a magnificent building, although the inconvenience of needing to catch one lift to the reception and then separate lifts (not well signposted) to rooms is annoying. Food in the restaurants is of good quality, although the restaurants are busy at times and service then suffers. However, the big drawback of this hotel is its staff. Having stayed in many hotels in China, I know that hotel staff can be helpful, efficient and polite. Unfortunately, that has not been my major experience here.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Le Meridien Shanghai really is a place I would never forget. It was my first time to Shanghai and really had no idea where to stay so jumped on tripadvisor and searched around. After reading some reviews and looking at photos we decided to go with Le Meridien. This hotel is in such an awesome location we absolutely made a good decision. You walk out of the hotel and you’re right on the pedestrian part of Nanjing Rd. It’s so close to everything – cafes, bars, restaurants, shopping! The atmosphere just outside the hotel and around Nanjing Rd was truly a beautiful Shanghai experience.
Inside the hotel itself is stunning. Just look at other travelers photos to see yourself. The rooms are large and well designed with plenty of room for hanging around and for storage. The bar on the top floor is really nice with views over all of Shanghai and at the time of our stay had a very corporate international feel as I think there were a few conferences on.
I have two negatives to share. Firstly the design and layout of the elevators was annoying. I suppose you need to get used to which elevator to take to your floor. We only had 4 days here and still struggled to find the right side of the elevators to go straight up. Not a major problem but annoying all the same. Secondly we had a few rude encounters with one of the (of maybe the only) guys on concierge. He was rude, impatient and condescending. We would ask directions to somewhere and he’d sigh and write something down on a card and not say anything to help just to name one example. Apart from him and the elevator issues the place is flawless.
Finally, If you like Italian food and an AMAZING pizza I suggest going to ‘The Kitchen’ restaurant which is located on the other side of the Bund just a 2 min walk from the Pearl Tower. It has an open plan kitchen so you can watch the chef and it’s owned and operated by Italians so it really has the authentic touch… Look it up its worth it!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2011

For my first trip to Shanghai I was pleased that I chose the RM. It was close to the Bund, and surrounded by wonderful areas within walking distance. The staff was terrific and the room was really nice. I even thought the pillows were comfortable! I'm going back in the fall and plan on staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Had an absoluetely amazing stay at this hotel. The room was exceptional value and was upgraded to a Starwood Preferred Guest room upon arrival. The room was incredibly modern, very well maintained, and had a huge LCD TV. Along with a couch and study desk, one of the most awesome perks was the automatic curtains! They were really great. The breakfast was also SPECTACULAR. I have had lots of free breakfasts around Asia and I must say that this breakfast was one of the best I've ever had. Location was also incredibly perfect - right above 2 subway lines and exiting out onto Nanjing Rd. Very impressive overall and will definitely return again!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2010

I stayed here for two nights before a cruise to Japan in late April 2010 with my friend and we were upgraded to a club level room due to my Platinum Starwood status, when I had already used points to book the hotel. The hotel is located at a busy intersection (read, loud and crazy), but what can one do. The lobby was clean and well maintained during my stay. The room had an amazing view of The Bund, as we were on the 54th floor I believe. You can walk to The Bund easily from the hotel as well. I actually ate in the Club Lounge every meal ... as I'm not an adventurous eater. They had a great mix of Chinese, Japanese, and English/American foods. There was something there basically at all times of day. The Lounge attendants were always around and very helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will definitely stay there the next time I find myself in Shanghai.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 December 2010

After arriving in Shanghai to discover we had been booked into the wrong hotel, my daughter and I leapt online to find an alternative place to stay for our very first visit to Shanghai.
We are starwood members and usually prefer to stay at The Westin, however The Westin was full, the location of Le Meridian looked great as did many of the reviews on Trip Advisor, so off we went.
Arriving at the downstairs entrance, we were underwhelmed by the staff and service. They looked shabby, switched off and I was nervous my bag would not turn up!
Being a bit of a traditionalist, I have always found hotels that share entrances with office blocks a bit diappointing on arrival, however nothing prepared me for the next shock. When we exited the elevator at the reception level, the place was just a total mess - there were childrens toys everywhere, chairs all over the place, it looked like a dishevelled kindergarten (this was the main reception I am talking about!), the bathroom at the reception level (when i finally found it) was dirty and unkempt. I have no issue with hotels using their facilities to host events, and I have children myself so understand children need to be included and like to play, however when you are paying $600/nigh++t for a room, I do not need to look at a mess.
Initially we opted for a suite with a fold-out bed for our daughter as there were not two-adjoining rooms available. Our daughter's complaints that the bed was like a block of concrete turned out to be well justified - we were reimbursed by the hotel for the extra cost of the bed after complaining and were told that the staff knew this was an issue and agreed the beds were ridiculously hard and very uncomfortable...what sort of hotel knows about these problems and does nothing about it?... sort it out Le Meridian?
Due to the bed issue, we moved to two rooms the following day. There were no club rooms close so we were given two normal rooms - which were ok. However getting to the rooms or anywhere else in the hotel is a huge problem.
The lift system is complicated beyond belief and every one of us ended up going up and down many times (along with other guests) whilst trying to work out how on earth to get to the floor we wanted.
To go to the gym/pool etc you have to change lifts and walk through the reception area - highly inappropriate in a 5 star hotel.
There were so many small issues in the end, we checked out early and left Shanghai 2 days before our scheduled departure. We just did not enjoy our stay at all and frankly attribute that to Le Meridian.
If it is the little things that count, Le Royal Meridian don't count at all. AVOID AVOID AVOID - there are WAY better places to stay

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family