“No hospitality”

Green Land Jiulong Hotel , Shanghai
Ranked #166 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This hotel gets a 2 star for its appearance, and that alone.

This 4 star hotel lacks in hospitality. The staff was rude and not accommodating to our needs, at all. My friends and I had perpetual issues getting into our rooms due to faulty key cards. For those who have occasional trouble adjusting to foreign chinese cuisine, as it was for me, it would have been ideal for our keys to work every time we used it. We also had to beg to get a new roll of toilet paper every day. The bedrooms had no wifi. Wifi was only available in the lounge area where there was more people using the wifi then there were chairs. Lastly, when we tried to check out, the desk clerk almost didn't allow us to use our credit card for no valid reason that I can imagine, other then to save the hotel on credit card costs. We had limited cash and questioned the desk clerk on what their policies against credit card transactions were before he decided we could carryon the transaction with our credit card. These were just a couple of small occurrences that normally wouldn't have been a big deal amongst my friends and I, if it weren't for their unremitting resistance to assist us the way that you would expect a hotel of this "stature" should. The hotel staff offered no apologies or extra assistance for any problems that arose.

All of this being said, I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone. Could probably get better service at a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank dinah w
There are newer reviews for Green Land Jiulong Hotel , Shanghai

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Spoken english is a problem with the front desk staff, not understanding.
Rooms were adequate, i had a room on 20 floor, window on my room was so small it made it feel like a prison cell. at frist impressions the room looked fine, looking closer it was very dirty around the edges.
Also go a phone call on the room phone in the early hours of the morning from a person looking to offer either a message or a massage, NOT GOOD!!, as it is obvious my details had been passed over by the front desk.
Restaurant was typical chinese, make sure you look at the pictures on the menu very carefully.
There are much better hotels in Shanghai to choose from, i would not recommend this place unless there is nothing else.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Chrismuir
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Poor english you will never get what u need. The water pressure in the toilet was so poor and we had to shower with cold water!!The room was full of dust and the bedsheets we very dirty. No wifi in the rooms. Breakfast was poor with limited choices. First night i was called back to the restaurant where i had dinner to ask me if i took the dinner spoon!!
Will never go back and will not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 29 July 2013

As I already mentioned in another review on Singapore hotel, I have sometimes the feeling that a new (or refurbished) hotel just popped up out from nothing, but a highly undertrained staff just does not know what to do with it, and does not know what new western tourism expects.

The building itself is OK, if you start looking into minor details you sense this could have been an old hotel that has been entirely renewed - except for the carpet which in both rooms I have staid had clear marks of an iron burn. For the first room I had been told I got an upgrade to floor 23, and yes the room looked luxurious yet squeezed in a long shape. all I needed was there. I had to interrupt my stay for one day and came back to another room without upgrade, 21st floor, which happened to be bigger than the other and much more comfortable. So globally the room was very clean, comfortable, and silent.

Wifi wireless.... well, it just does not exist. Although they tell you you have cable Internet in your room which I could not test with my tablet, you are proposed to use the lobbies connection - and when I mean lobby it is a 2 square meters restricted area at the entrance - which happened never to work during my 5 days stay. And no solution is proposed and of course no discount icon the rate due to this lack of service which is part of the package. I ended up buying a China Unicomm tablet SIM card for 300RMB with 3Gb of 3G Internet.

Inhouse restaurants close 20:00, 25th floor is western food (Italian!) and lower floor is local. Breakfast in 2nd proposes a fair mix between some western and local varieties. I tried the Italian because the other one was already closed, I have to say staff is very slow (trainees?) but food was excellent.

Fitness center was closed for renovation.

Staff is mainly very rude, and they are not able to focus on one single customer at one time. But I suppose it is cultural, no Asian customer waited their turn and just kept interrupting you. Always ended up with 3 people trying to tell me "no not possible", and learned that you have to shout and insist to get something. Pity. Far away from a smooth customer oriented experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank StylishBackpacker
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Staying in this hotel for 3 nights at the end of our Wendy Wu tour, we found the staff to be unfriendly & rude. The housekeeping left much to be desired. The rooms were dirty, I don’t think the room had been vacuumed ever, there were nail clippings on the carpet near the bed. After complaining to reception, I was told that it would be cleaned that day. NO! When we got back that night the nail clippings were still there in the same place. The shower was mouldy and needed a good clean.

Some floors were closed for renovations so maybe they are going to upgrade the rooms. However the housekeeping staff needed to be replaced by some that wanted to work.

Breakfast was good, and there was free Wi-Fi in lobby only.
Bar prices for drinks and coffee in the lobby was very very dear. Avoid buying drinks there if you can.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brandiii
Reviewed 1 June 2013

They started renovating some of the floors hence some of the reviewers may had experienced to be checked-in in old rooms.

I find the hotel decent. Near the office I need to go to every morning.

The room is cleaned every day. Toiletries and towels are replenished as well.

However, I find the lighting in the room a bit insufficient. I find it too gloomy since I need to work a bit after office hours.

The morning buffet breakfast is great on the first day. Dull and boring the next few days. Same food throughout my stay.

Elevators can be crowded at times. And the 4th/5th floor videoke/games floors are funny during late night.

One complaint I have to note here is that I need to get my keycard activated. Everyday. I will go up to my room only to find out it is not working and then every time, I will ask at the front desk to make it work for my entire stay. To no avail. I have to do it for 6-7 times.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jaysantos_dot_ph
Reviewed 27 April 2013

The stay was acceptable and the staff friendly, some of the staff on the front desk were English speaking to a certain degree and did there best to help us.
The room that we had was almost on the top floor and the traffic noise was not a problem. We were unsure if the air con was operating or not but the temperature in the room ok for us.
The bed was spacious and clean as was the bathroom/shower, housekeeping did a very good job of keeping the room clean and tidy.
We found the taxis very good and were always given a receipt upon payment, also the cost to the Bund(near the ferry terminal) was about 16 Yuan.
The breakfasts were alright with European and Chinese food available, I preferred the Chinese as I think that the selection was better, at least to my taste. The restaurant in the hotel that we used served some excellent food, Chinese and Italian, there was a slight communication problem, but the menu did have English on it and the waitress did her best to understand us.
We did manage to find a small convenience store about 5/10 minutes walk away, towards the overhead pedestrian walkway, at a main road intersection.

Room Tip: As high as possible as the windows seem to be single glazed.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple