“A Mix of Good and Bad”

Ranked #161 of 5,032 Hotels in Shanghai
Tauranga, New Zealand
“A Mix of Good and Bad”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

When we opened the door to our room (#24) on the 21st floor - first thoughts were WOW!!
The decor on first glance was stunning - for a low cost hotel.
However on second glance the carpet was old, worn and dirty and there was a large dark stain right in the middle of the seat on the arm chair. These two things really spoilt the awesome decor.
The bathroom was large and all marble.
The view was absolutely incredible as we looked straight out over a stunning view of the inner city which at night was awesome!!!!!!!!! Great for photography!
We enjoyed the location as we had come to see how China really is without the facade. The old markets were wonderful and you can witness how China is and has been for hundreds of years.
Breakfast was okay. Local restaurants have good food - although all Chinese.
The room was very well equiped - even with bath robes and slippers.
Very few people understand or speak any English.
The staff were efficient but surly and cold - no smiles from anyone. But this is common in China.
I would advise all travellers to give the 'steamed buns' (which are the staple diet) a miss. Western stomachs cannot digest these and my friend ended up in unconcious in hospital with blocked intestines! NOT nice :(

Room Tip: Get a room on the uper stories overlooking the city centre.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Staying a week in this hotel has motivated me to actually join tripadvisor to leave a review / warning.

Beware room 1003, even the dust was filthy.
(Possibly the most disgusting room I have ever experienced, and I have experienced a lot of hotels worldwide.)

All I ask from a hotel is that the windows close, the doors lock and the room is clean, not much to ask really. This hotel failed on two of these three simple things.

It took 3 days to get the hotel to actually hoover the floor which was covered in dust, hair, crumbs etc when I checked in... (Ended up leaving notes on the floor for housekeeping in english and chinese as the front desk, despite saying 'yes yes yes', did nothing about it.)

I ended up cleaning the bathroom myself.

The single glazed windows didn't shut properly. They also rattled rather alarmingly in high winds. (I was hoping one would fall out as they would have had to move me to a new room.)

There was also an inch gap where one wall met the window which gave clear space to the room next door. Thankfully I only heard the TV playing next door one night, you could literally hear everything going on.

The lobby is run by a shouty man who won't let you sit down unless you buy something from the bar. Weird.

The bathroom amenities kit includes a condom and a plastic sheet (?!) which kind of sums it up really.

Prostitute cards were pushed under the doors one night. I was even accosted in the lobby buy an old lady one night, (in full view of hotel staff,) offering 'young pretty girls for best price'.
(And no, it was not a traditional massage service she was offering.)

One good point to mention, I put some laundry in and it was returned on time with everything sealed in little bags which was quite sweet. But then again the laundry is outsourced so has nothing to do with the hotel, so they get no credit for this.

Beware room 1003.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1003. Corner rooms may have a small hole covered in thick bars that is loosely described...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank redpanda20132013

Travellers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 November 2013

As a "4" star hotel it is average, as a"3" star hotel it is very good. Advertised room rates are misleading and in house prices are high, For example cans of beer ranged from 35 RMB to 60 RMB each, for comparison the world wide index of McDonald big mac is about 15 RMB

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Rugby
Reviewed 17 November 2013

First let me mention the name: We booked into the Greenland Jiulong (the name on their card at the front desk) and it was this hotel at this address. Rating. 3 was average and 4 very good. I think good would be fairer but if I have to pick it is 3.
I enjoyed all our hotels and in many ways this was the best, so why does it get a 3 when the others will get a 4? First impressions were of a good hotel. We liked room 2017 but it had a faulty door lock. Leave the room. Come back – key doesn’t work. Go to the reception. Key recoded. Back to room. Still doesn’t work. Back to reception and insist someone comes and gets us in. This was repeated every time you left the room. Once you are a day into a 2.5 day stay you do not want the trouble of changing room - not that it was offered. On checking out we had booked the room till 6pm and they let us have it till 7pm due to the lock problem. Pick up should have been at 8pm. One hour in the lobby. Very few seats in the public area. Lots in the bar area but the bar manager would not let you sit unless you bought a drink at expensive prices. He was almost goosestepping marching up and down, making sure no one sat on his chairs. If the bar was full, I could understand this - it was empty. If he had not taken this attitude we would probably have bought a round of drinks! Our transfer was delayed due to a traffic accident – not uncommon in Shanghai. The guide spoke to the floor manager who asked/instructed him to let us sit. I thought the poor man might have a heart attack! It is a shame – sort the keys, sort some seating for people waiting for their transfer and you will have a good hotel.
Breakfast was fine and we never had a problem. However, there is a temporary breakfast room and some said that they had to stand. I did not see this.
We never had to wait too long for a lift. Good view of the city lights and traffic from the room. You can even see the Pearl Tower if you look sharp left. Not noisy comfortable room and the best beds we had in China. Reception staff were always polite - even though they did not remedy the key issue. Got the usual card from reception with the hotel name in English and Chinese. We wanted to go to the Bund Sightseeing Tunnel and reception wrote this in Chinese for the taxi driver. The taxi cost 14 yuan total for 3 of us. The tunnel is as others describe but I'm still pleased we took it. It also got us to the other side so we could go up the Pearl Tower (a real wow). We then took the tube to the copy market. Well worth a visit. We also did the Yugarden (really liked), Jinmao Tower (good but not nearly as good as the Pearl), night cruise on the river (excellent experience), maglev (340+ km/h - if you visit you should do it), silk factory (surprisingly good - educational and we bought silk sheets ++ (not cheap but excellent), museum was fine, the only thing that was a waste of time was a visit to the French Concession (I really don't know why we went and it made the rest of the evening rushed.)
We found the people in Shanghai, and all China, friendly and helpful e.g. we took the tube back to near the hotel and got lost (2 maps with different names for the same street - well that's our excuse) - locals down back streets were really friendly and got us back). I never saw a visitor pushed, although we were warned it might happen. On two occasions I saw Chinese pushed by visitors - embarrassing.

Room Tip: Don't use 2017 - unless they have sorted the lock. It is otherwise a good, quiet room with a goo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mike37
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The room rated a 4. It was spacious with a comfortable king size bed and a good shower. The breakfast the next morning was also very good. Unfortunately, there is no wifi except in the lobby, and the staff would not let us sit in the lobby bar to use the wifi; we had to perch on a couple of benches by the front door. Our keys didn't work and I had to go back TWICE to get ones that would work. The staff was not friendly. It's a shame, because the rooms are really nice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Manitoba
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Our room on the 20th floor of this modern hotel had a spectacular view towards the Bund. The room was spacious and well equipped with two large single beds, large desk, bathtub and separate shower and lots of closet space. There was one curious arrangement that I have never seen before: the bathroom was separated from the sleeping area by a wall of clear glass (see picture) that provided next to privacy. There was a set of drapes that could be closed over this glass wall to provide the required privacy but those drapes could only be closed from the bedroom side. Breakfast was served buffet style on the 25th floor and featured both Western and Chinese food. Omelets were prepared by a chef. The one downside of the hotel was that it only had three elevators with rather low weight restrictions (this is the first time in memory that the combined weight of the guests in the elevator exceeded the capacity of the elevator!). Consequently, there were long waiting times to get to and from the lobby. Wifi was only available in the lobby but this is not unusual in Chinese hotels. The poor elevator service is the reason why I gave this hotel only four stars.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Liyang Road provide a good view of the Bund area.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This hotel gets a 2 star for its appearance, and that alone.

This 4 star hotel lacks in hospitality. The staff was rude and not accommodating to our needs, at all. My friends and I had perpetual issues getting into our rooms due to faulty key cards. For those who have occasional trouble adjusting to foreign chinese cuisine, as it was for me, it would have been ideal for our keys to work every time we used it. We also had to beg to get a new roll of toilet paper every day. The bedrooms had no wifi. Wifi was only available in the lounge area where there was more people using the wifi then there were chairs. Lastly, when we tried to check out, the desk clerk almost didn't allow us to use our credit card for no valid reason that I can imagine, other then to save the hotel on credit card costs. We had limited cash and questioned the desk clerk on what their policies against credit card transactions were before he decided we could carryon the transaction with our credit card. These were just a couple of small occurrences that normally wouldn't have been a big deal amongst my friends and I, if it weren't for their unremitting resistance to assist us the way that you would expect a hotel of this "stature" should. The hotel staff offered no apologies or extra assistance for any problems that arose.

All of this being said, I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone. Could probably get better service at a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends