“Good hotel for the area ”

The Longemont Shanghai
Ranked #100 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for the last three months and found the hotel to have some faults .Rooms are clean as expected . However my AC control unit was useless , it didn't bring down the temperature at all and the only fix was a fan without even an apology. Also I had a bad experience with a front desk member where he was being very rude . Breakfast is bland. But the quality of room service was good. Overall this was the best hotel in the area but that isn't saying much.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed at the Longemont 3 nights over a weekend in Shanghai. It is a nice hotel, for those who do not fear very high floor rooms, with a modern decoration and a pleasant lobby. It also offer good rates compared to other 5 star hotels in Shanghai. However, I have the feeling that this hotel has seen better times. lt has several flaws and I was not terribly satisfied with my stay. In the main lobby there are several staff looking at who gets in and out, but at the reception desk at 8.00 pm there were only two girls working under pressure. So I had to queue for check in. I asked for a non-smoking room, but when I got into the room there was a distinctive stench of old tobacco. I was assured that this was a non-smoking room and could not change, as other non-smoking room where not available. The breakfast buffet is just OK, but not up to the standard of what the hotel would like to be: poor selection of fruit (only papaya and water melon) and poor service with coffee and tea (I had to help myself with the kettle, for no waiter was around). Did not try the Italian restaurant, which was closed at lunch time, found the diner buffet is nothing exciting and pricey. Instead the small japanese restaurant on the second floor offers a very reasonable and good set lunch menu. On the 26th floor there is a big gym with a 25 mt. pool. However, on a weekend the pool gets quite crowded with local people who are not guests but probably have a separate membership. Finally, also the location is not so convenient: easy access by car from to Hongqiao Airport, that's it. It is far from all the rest and the nearest subway station is a good walk away. So one has to queue for a taxi to move around. Next to the hotel is the Yan'an elevated expressway, not very pleasant for a stroll out of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I've stayed at this hotel for a dozen nights or so during multiple trips, and I am always happy with the consistency. The staff is always very friendly and helpful....on 3 different occasions I've been upgrade to Studio rooms for minor inconveniences...not because it was necessary or that I complained...the staff just went out of their way to make to make things as pleasant as possible. The rooms are great...even the standard rooms...very clean, with usable space. The sheets, pillows and mattresses are all very soft, and I sleep great. The Studio rooms are very spacious...I think I could live in one...and have lots of windows to enjoy views of Shanghai. The gym is clean and uncrowded, the location is fine, but not necessarily ideal for tourist, and the pastry shop in the lobby is very good and very reasonable. The Italian restaurant is not very good....but who cares, you're very close to 3 excellent Italian restaurants....besides that, it is very hard to find anything to complain about...this is just a comfortable clean hotel....and good by any standard.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DSTSS
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed at the Longemont on a business trip to Shanghai. Had an excellent stay without any of the inconveniences some other reviewers mention in their reviews.

Checkin was fairly fast (its China, it will never be as fast as in the US but it was ok), got a room somewhere around the 40th floor with a good view of the city. The rooms as modern and spacious, wifi is free and wifi speed is ok. The health club and especially the pool at the 26th floor offer a great view of the city and the gym is fitted with modern equipment. For breakfast the quality and range of choices are just excellent, no matter from which region of the world you are from you will find plenty of good quality food to try.

In my view the only slight downside of this hotel for some travellers could be the location; you won't get anywhere without catching a taxi so try to travel outside of rush hours and check if the hotel is not prohibitively far from the other locations in Shanghai you have to get to during your stay.
(did not have lunch or dinner at the hotel)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Reinier S
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is a great hotel although the service is a bit lacking. We had expected better service for a 5 star hotel although it is important to remember that this is China. When we arrived to check in the reception staff were moody. The Italian restaurant in the hotel is terrible, we ordered pizza and when it arrived dry and severely lacking cheese, we sent it back. It was then delivered back to us with some burnt parmesan on top. When we requested the uneaten pizza to be removed from our bill, we had to argue with the restaurant manager for 10 minutes before he sulkily agreed.
While there my boyfriend broke his arm close to the hotel, we called the staff who arrived at the scene with a casual saunter and smoking. The staff then proceeded to argue over who should accompany us to the hospital as none of them wanted to. When I had to return to the hotel for passports, the concierge who had accompanied me to the hospital as a 'translator' refused to come back to the hospital with me. During this traumatic experience it would have been helpful to have had someone to translate but they did not seem to care. After the incident two particular members of staff (receptionist staff Shiori Kiyono and concierge Jerry) were very friendly and helpful and constantly enquired after my boyfriend's health. On a positive note the staff let us stay in the same hotel room when we had to book extra nights because of the broken arm. And when they would lock us out of the room, a quick visit down to reception would solve the problem.
We were on the 42nd floor and had a great view. The rooms are lovely with sliding doors between the bathroom and bedroom. The swimming pool is also very nice and modern. The tennis courts were not available when we visited. The breakfast buffet is great with a variety of foods all of which are constantly replenished - the pancakes in particular were delicious.
Overall if you can avoid any encounters with the staff you will have a pleasant stay as the facilities are clean and modern and the view is amazing.

Room Tip: Request a high room to have the best view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mieux69
Reviewed 7 March 2014

During a bussiness trip we've stayed in the Longemont Hotel (54 floors) in Shanghai for 2 nights. Marvelous view from rooms to the centre of this mega city. Great reception/lobby, bar/restaurant, swimming pool/sauna, tenniscourt/fitness and so on. Excellent breakfast with a broad variety of Asian and Western food (e.g. croissants, brown bread, eggs/bacon)! But terrible hot rooms (26 degrees / 80F). In most of the rooms the cooling down button of the airco panel doesn't work!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I've reviewed the Longemont before and always stay here when on business but its had a couple changes. I know they have changed Managers and although the room and overall service is still excellent the check in/reservations, Lobby Bar and Italian Restaurant have gone down. its disappointing.
Reservations - i had sent in a request for booking rooms, responded to the usual requests and asked for confirmation. Pity on me for the confirmation never came. We got to the hotel after the usual 14 hr flight and they had no reservation. The hotel had plenty of rooms, i asked the check in staff, ok didn't get my reservation confirmation, how about a room... it took 30 minutes to get checked in. un acceptable. I got an email from the duty manager but he's failed to follow up. i sent the e mail showing that i had responded to them.. i'll take the hit for not following up and getting a confirmation but having gotten to checkin... they could have easily fixed it.

Lobby Bar - used to have a nice selection on wine and you could get food from one of the many restaurants on property. The wine list is now pathetic. 3 selections, all of which are bad, the Shiraz price at over 750 rmb per bottle was a $10 bottle and not very good. Only one wine available by the glass. I complained to the bar manager and lets wait to see if anything happens but for a really nice Lobby bar full of business people, its a complete FAIL.

Italian Restaurant - we usually dine there on return from inland China. I again sent my food back as the Veal was inedible and maybe not even Veal. We ordered the one decent wine on the list and they did not have it. We will not go there again.

Sushi - This place rocks. food is always good and service excellent.

its a pity that it seems like some of the amenities are at the Longemont have dropped in quality. I have made comment to the management, lets see if they step up to the challenge.

Room Tip: '07 rooms are good. Demand non smoking.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business