“Wrong choice”

Ranked #218 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
BS
“Wrong choice”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

Unless you're here to engage in sports, you should not be paying for the facilities. Definitely not for the budget conscious. It just does not make sense that this is a four star hotel. The toiletries, service and food does not reflect this. It's frustrating that the staffs are not well trained to converse in English - for a hotel of this class. Breakfast is included but food is pathetic. We had to get out to eat another decent meal. Staying there for 4 days, house cleaning does not clean up the room thoroughly, eg: replenish toiletries, change sheets, if they know you're there for a few days more. This place is definitely not for me!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Czech first
Guangzhou, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

Reference: I stayed here for a conference and gave training in one of the conference rooms.

Pros:
-Quiet night's sleep.
-Free internet.
-Box lunches were pretty good. Veggie buns were excellent.
-Good location for shopping and getting a quick bite to eat. Enough amusement for a business traveler.

Cons:
-Satellite TV had some problems in my room.
-Internet must be connected by cable. Come on, get some WIFI.
-Needs overall remodeling of bathroom and carpet replacement.
-Breakfast included but poor quality.
-Staff help for setting up conference room projector and audio were not prompt, on-time.
-Lighting in room for projector wasn't very good.
-Check-in is slow.
-Staff has very limited English.
-Security could be improved for guest room access.
-My room was "no smoking" but I could smell smoke from the neighboring room.

Neutral:
-Hotel is pretty busy with many people visiting for their pool and other sports amenities.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Bangalore, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

We booked in this hotel as we had to visit a trade fair in the nearby Hotel - Shanghai - Everbright Exhibition center. The Cost of the Hotel was very well in our budget - but the food choices left a lot to desire. The Dining area closed at 9.00 pm - which is a disaster for business travelers. But that gave us a reason to go out and explore - we did visit 3 different and excellent restaurants in Shanghai.

My colleague - was a egg eating vegetarian - but we did not have any problems whatsoever finding good places to eat.

The Hotel staff was very helpful - in writing down the restaurant names in the Local Chinese language - so we had the minimum problem in telling the Taxi drivers for finding the right restaurants.

The Lobby is small - but functional. The rooms did not have a wi-fi - that was a let down.

Then - looking at the cost we paid, the hotel was worth every cent !! The Rate we got over the Internet was 700 RMB - double occupancy B/B.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2008

This is an excellent hotel in Shanghai! Everything you need is within walking distance. The hotel is extremely clean and the rooms were a great size. I had stayed in other hotels in China that said 5-star, and it seemed more like a 2-star USA rating, but this one is by far the best that I stayed in during my 2 week visit. The staff was extremely helpful and luckily they all spoke good English. There is a GREAT massage place just around the corner that is not to be missed!!! I would recommend this hotel for those looking for a great place to stay and a great price!!

• Liked — Location, Price and Cleanliness
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank CarolinaGirlinParis
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2007

This is a hotel that doesn't even have a website but it's worth recommending.
First of all, this hotel claims to be a 4-star hotel, so my first night was very disappointed because: the shower water went down very slowly in the tub, very icky feeling; there was practically no closet space and it was awkwardly laid out. The next morning, I called and asked to have a new room but I told them I enjoyed the view from my room. The (asst) floor manager called back rather quickly and apologized profusely and gave me another room right under the old one. When we moved in, I realized that it was a newly renovated room and the old room was from years ago. I was very happy with my new room. So make sure you ask for the new floors.
Also, my Mom and I had breakfast (complimentary) every morning in their dining room. I am a vegetarian and I find the vegetarian buns really delicious. The next morning, I was disappointed that the buns were not offered. After I asked one of the waitresses, she actually brought us the buns from the kitchen and continued to do so the next morning when she saw us. Bravo!
I will certainly return to this hotel again because even though it didn't start out as a 4-star hotel, they won me over with their great attitude and effort and now I am a happy customer.
ps. the massage place is called Jin Yuan Bau (excellent)

• Liked — They strive to serve their customers
  • Disliked — the bathroom floors are a little dirty and should have offered the newer floors sooner
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family