“Shanghai's getaway secret Sun Island”
Review of Sun Island Resorts

Sun Island Resorts
Ranked #495 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Just about an hour from Shanghai airport and from the city itself, surrounded by lush countryside is this idyllic resort with golf course, health spa, organic farm and lovely rooms. I attended the Mahota Symposium here, hosted by Sun Island and this year's topic on Business Families was extremely well done.
The opening banquet and all buffet meals and tea breaks were satisfying and delicious.
Everything is fine without going over the top which suits me perfectly well.
I used their indoor swimming pool and loved it. I tried a Chinese massage and herbal facial which were fine. The massage or tui-na was especially good, I felt, especially at 2-for-1 promo price. Otherwise, one could say they are a tad on the pricey side for Shanghai.
I was here for 2 nights and if I lived in Shanghai, I'd be getting away from it all here.
The highlight was a buffet dinner by the water side at the organic farm section of the island.
Wisps of mist hovering over the water (essentially an aquaculture pond), soft lighting, a over the water walkway plus another fabulous buffet made it a perfect night. The owners of the farm and resort are of Swatow descent, from southern China and they put on a great evening of Chinese classical operatic renditions and folk music. While it was not a bright moonlit night, it was still a magical unforgettable evening with gentle breezes. I kept reminding myself how close I was to one of the world's major metropolis' and enjoying sunny blue skies by day and starlit splendor at night!
When you try, take a deep breath and release the city pace and lights to take in all this place has to offer!

Room Tip: Bring books and magazines to chill, really chill. Nothing much commercial here but that is the beaut...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank EuForia_01

Reviewed 16 September 2013

It's a very lovely resort with lots of activity to do. the location is nice and not crowed at all (have to remember you are in shanghai and no crowed places are a dream!). totally immerse in green, you can feel relax. it seems to be in another word. attractions can be consider expensive as non-guest, but maybe this is also needed to prevent caos. my family and I highly enjoyed the outdoor wave pool and its slides. it's so much fun, but unfortunately ticket lasts after 3 hours.
what I believe was missing in this pool is a bar (don't know if in high season it is open). a cool drink would have been highly appreciated.
As we stayed one day only and activities are many, we will visit them soon again, eager fro more.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tizianashanghai
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We spent a week at this resort.
The sun island itself is a isolated island. So you can escape from the Chinese town/village and/or people.
As we are members of the Interval International, we can use outdoor wave pool and indoor pool. They were great. When we use the wave pool, we were the only guests. But they operated the wave machine just for ourselves!!
There are restaurants. The main Chinese restaurant seems to be great, but we had difficulty of the communication. The restaurant staff did not understand English. So we have to estimate the food. Yes there are English words on the menu, but, most of them were difficult to understand. Fortunately, the most dished we have ordered were very nice.
The Italian restaurant was good. But it closes 7 p.m. We think it is tooooo early.
The next day of your check-in, the hotel staff (She speaks fluent English), brought us to the local supermarket for shopping. You can buy glossary there.
And the room for us is a separate two-sory-cottage. There were two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a big living room. and a full-kichen including a fridge. Wi-Fi worked very well (except twitter and Facebook, they are blocked in China.) The rooms were comfortable for us.
Within the island, you can freely use the shuttle bus. Just dial 4, then the bus immediately (at most 3-5 minutes) comes to the door.
If you want to visit downtown Shanghai, there are two options.

1. Easy and expensive way:
There is a limousine service to/from Shanghai Indoor Stadium Station.
RMB 100 (round trip / one way is the same)
9:30 am from Hotel
9:00 pm from Shanghai

2.Cheep but advanced route:
The local bus (No.3) station is located just outside of the resort.
The resort shuttle bus driver will show you the way.
It is very easy, you will never lost.
The bus time table was provided by the resort staff.
(It is punctual)
The bus fare is just RMB 1 to ZhuJiaJiao bus station. (about 20 minutes)
(ZhuJIaJIao itself is a good destination for the tourist.
Just walk out from the bus station to the canal and bridge
(about 10 min.)
From the ZhuJiaJiao bus station to the Shanghai is
only RMB 12 by the express air-condition bus.
There are several routes to the Shanghai downtown.
But I recommend the express bus to the Puanlu bus Station.
(Chinese: 普安路)
The bus route is called Hu Zhu Expressway (Express)
The bus travel is about 60 to 80 minutes.
They are very convenient.

We enjoyed very much.
Please enjoy the magical city!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank macuser1958
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We are in the midst of a 7 night stay in a 2 bedroom villa. So far, everything has been good. The management and staff have been accommodating and helpful. We are interval members so we get free access to the wave pool daily, but only 3 hours. We also get discounts off the FnB, go kart, horse riding etc.

For a resort that is almost 20 years old, the general maintenance is not too bad. We love the villa, the air con works great and especially with this extreme heat. The wave pool is pretty nice but no waves the past two days...repairs they say.

Since we don't have a car, the complimentary shuttle service is very useful. Plus the one time free trip to a nearby local supermarket and wet market to do some shopping. Since we cook all meals with 3 kids to feed, this is useful but expect local stuff mainly.

We came without very high expectations after reading some of the not so good reviews but have been pleasantly surprised. But I do have to say the value of being a club member in this resort helps a lot. Also because we work and live in Shanghai we understand how things work in China. However those who are new to China may find this resort sub standard. We have learnt to take things with a spoon of salt, have lower expectations and you will be fine.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ShanghaiGourmet
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Spent a week at Sun Island and was pleased with the service level, accommodation and meal quality. It was March in Shanghai so a little chilly but the area around Sun Island more than compensated for the temperatures. Lots to see and do both in the resort itself and in the nearby neighbourhood. The old village is a must. I was especially impressed with the willingness of the staff to assist in what ever way was needed and in particular by Steven Lin. In an unfortunate accident in a crowded Shanghai walkway my camera lens was damaged. Steven located a shop that could repair my lens, wrote careful directions for the subway in both English and Chinese so I was able to show a passerby once I reached the sidewalk. Just one of many ways Steven was helpful during our stay. I would go back.

Room Tip: Avoid the river side rooms if your a light sleeper. Sometimes they dredge the river at night.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Scott S
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Took a short trip to Shanghai and picked this hotel as a hideaway for two nights. As I'm not a golf player there is honestly not much to do, especially when all amenities are monopolised and overcharging, and location of this hotel quite remote. Rooms are spacious, basic and clean.

Went to the spa for their buy one get one free 80 minutes massage for RMB 680. Lucky enough to run into this lady 'Chen Chen', in Chinese 陳陳. Told her about my lower back pain and she took it unbelievably seriously, dealing with my back inch by inch. She is the best massageur I'd ever had, you can tell she really cares about how you feel, unlike most others who are only interested in you the moment you tip them. I'd promised to write about her so here I am. Returned to the spa for the second night and let my friend tried her service and I had another lady, who is just so so.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Cindy K
Reviewed 24 July 2012

When we arrived at the resort, the driver took us to a wrong entrance and when we asked the staff, they could not even understand us or tell us anything. The facility was really old. The only new part is the reception area. The rooms had dirty spots and there were some hair left in the bathroom... it was really gross....... not well maintained or cleaned. The swimming pool was out of service and you can't enjoy some activities stated on the website - what a rip off!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Jana D
Sun Island Reso... S, General Manager at Sun Island Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Dear Jana D,

Thank you for your feedback and it is regrettable that you did not have a satisfactory experience with us this time round. Hearing your frustrations, I would like to, on behalf of my team, to apologize for not being able to serve you better.

Our geothermal swimming pool has been undergoing upgrading and maintenance to ensure quality and safety for our guests. It is indeed a pity that you did not get to enjoy a swim at the pool. However, we offer a wide range of other activities such as cycling, horse riding, yachting and go karting. We warmly welcome you to enjoy them for your next stay.

It is our duty to ensure that our rooms are clean and comfortable for all guests on the resort so I will look into the issue and make improvements.

Please visit us again and allow me to personally see to the arrangements of your visit to ensure that you will have a great stay.

Yours sincerely,