“Seredendipity”
Review of Sun Island Resorts

Sun Island Resorts
Ranked #496 of 5,138 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had no expectation when going to Sun Island. Sun Island was my D plan and I had never heard about it after the usual family resorts of such (Sheshan Meridien and Sofitel). I prepared myself for the worst but at least my friend owns the Italian restaurant there so worst case I would have spent the weekend enjoying the food. It is actually him whom recommended me Sun Island. Now I regret that I didn't stay one more day. Staff was unexpectedly very friendly and professional. The environment is clean and shows that it is well managed; it is a perfect resort for some staycation away from the centre, for families and friends that need a break from the busy Shanghai.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Charles B

Reviewed 27 April 2014

The hotel is located on a green island, about 45 minutes drive away from Shanghai. It is a great getaway for a weekend, either with family or friends. They have plenty of fun activities to fill up a day or two, but it will also cost you a lot of money. Excellent breakfast buffet included. The rooms are a bit small but clean. The italian restaurant is also very good but make sure to get there early: they take the last order at 7:15pm. Didn't try the pool but it looked very nice. The go-karts are fun but overpriced. They also have horse riding, ping-pong, billiards, bikes to rent and a small playground. I didn't like that they use petrol-powered shuttle buses. On such a green island they should adopt electric vehicles.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ffrige
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed at this resort for a team building activity and concluded that this is an option if You want to escape from the noisy Shanghai and get som relative quitness. The room I rented was relatively average ok, the villa other members rented was not ok, quite worn out and my suggestion is that these needs to be refurbished.
It seems to be plenty of dining options, but we barely were able to book a table, we needed to wait outside the restaurant for one hour until we eventually got a table.
I can only recommend You to stsy here if You want to escape Shanghai fir some reason.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Peter_Pe
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My wife prepared a surprised for our Wedding Anniversary and we were excited to get out from the noisy Shanghai. That´s true, the environment itself is nice, full of peace, little birds chirping and green areas, but that´s all!

From outside was nice, but then you have to face the reality. We were welcome at the reception by a girl with a sad face, non-English speaking, although we don´t mind as we can speak Chinese. We were asking her about the activities at the resort, but she was lack of information saying that "go upstairs and ask there". Same when we asked for having lunch, "go there and ask, maybe it´s opened now!" so we thought, come on let´s give another chance!. We had an average lunch in the café and then we headed to the room.

They offer us to pay a little more and have of what it seems a cottage. My God I do not want to see the basic rooms. The worst was the bathroom, smelly, not well clean and we were scared about the bathtub. Please you cannot say this is a luxury resort! We called the reception to complain, but they said that they coudln´t change the room as the other room were not available. How is this possible, as in the complex we were 1 Chinese family, 2 foreigners and us? They wrote that the bed is slightly harden: the bed was like sleeping in a rock! We are used to sleep in hard matress but this was too much. The next day we had to find a good massage as we had the back and the neck like a roller coaster.

"Do not let this ruin our celebration!!" So we decided to go the wave pool. What a surprise, we had to pay 80rmb per person to get in! This detail they don´t tell you. We could just use the indoor swimming pool for free. Ok, we decided to go in. Outside food or drinks were not allowed to take in! This is absurd, as in the inside you couldn´t buy any water or food. We needed water, so we had to leave to the creepy room.

We stayed there until dinner, so we went to the Chinese restaurant, as was the only restaurant open at that time. Nobody was there, all the waiters playing games with the mobile. The food was average and very expensive for what is was. We asked for a watermelon juice, but they were out stock. What a surprised us when they brought us the dessert and it was only watermelon. We complained, but they said this was a leftover from the tables before!! How can you say that??? Amazing the look on our faces. Maybe the noodles were from a street vendor.
We were thinking to leave to our home in Shanghai, but finally we slept there. We woke up and went to have breakfast, walking in the morning to the main building.

Workers were fumigating the trees so we end up full of this toxic liquid, as the liquid was droping from the leaves. Why they didn´t told us? We came back to the room to get a shower again, we had the breakfast and we left this place quickly to never come back!

Sun Island Resort, thank you for ruining our Wedding Anniversary!

Room Tip: Choose the house from the Manager! It is the best.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank UnderWater888
the_mahota_family, General Manager at Sun Island Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear UnderWater888,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us regarding your stay at our resort.

It is indeed regrettable that you did not enjoy your stay. We value your feedback, and would like to address your concerns as quickly as possible. Hearing your frustrations, I would like to, on behalf of my team, apologize for not being able to serve you better.

Sincere apologies for the service lapses you encountered in our Chinese restaurant and Front desk. Whilst uncharacteristic, this is not an acceptable attitude here at our resort, and your feedback is being followed up by our Front Desk and F&B Managers who will share your review with their teams so they better understand the consequences and impacts on our guests and patrons of less than service.

We sincerely regret that you have been disappointed in your accommodation on this visit. While most of our rooms have been newly renovated, we will be continuing to upgrade bathroom facilities for the older room types and to place mattress pads for our guests’ maximum comfort. A vending machine will also be placed within the Wave pool to provide simple drinks and snacks.
We will pay special attention to all the details you have kindly pointed out. Your feedbacks in this regard are well taken and completely understood. We have been reviewing our service procedures to ensure our guests a relaxing stay with us.

We understand how important special occasions together are in everyone’s busy lives these days, and we would love to celebrate these dates with you. I, on behalf of our team, extend our warmest invitation to you to spend meaningful days with us at Sun Island Resorts.

Yours sincerely,
Carrie Tan
Sun Island Resorts, Shanghai

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Just about an hour from Shanghai airport and from the city itself, surrounded by lush countryside is this idyllic resort with golf course, health spa, organic farm and lovely rooms. I attended the Mahota Symposium here, hosted by Sun Island and this year's topic on Business Families was extremely well done.
The opening banquet and all buffet meals and tea breaks were satisfying and delicious.
Everything is fine without going over the top which suits me perfectly well.
I used their indoor swimming pool and loved it. I tried a Chinese massage and herbal facial which were fine. The massage or tui-na was especially good, I felt, especially at 2-for-1 promo price. Otherwise, one could say they are a tad on the pricey side for Shanghai.
I was here for 2 nights and if I lived in Shanghai, I'd be getting away from it all here.
The highlight was a buffet dinner by the water side at the organic farm section of the island.
Wisps of mist hovering over the water (essentially an aquaculture pond), soft lighting, a over the water walkway plus another fabulous buffet made it a perfect night. The owners of the farm and resort are of Swatow descent, from southern China and they put on a great evening of Chinese classical operatic renditions and folk music. While it was not a bright moonlit night, it was still a magical unforgettable evening with gentle breezes. I kept reminding myself how close I was to one of the world's major metropolis' and enjoying sunny blue skies by day and starlit splendor at night!
When you try, take a deep breath and release the city pace and lights to take in all this place has to offer!

Room Tip: Bring books and magazines to chill, really chill. Nothing much commercial here but that is the beaut...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank EuForia_01
Reviewed 16 September 2013

It's a very lovely resort with lots of activity to do. the location is nice and not crowed at all (have to remember you are in shanghai and no crowed places are a dream!). totally immerse in green, you can feel relax. it seems to be in another word. attractions can be consider expensive as non-guest, but maybe this is also needed to prevent caos. my family and I highly enjoyed the outdoor wave pool and its slides. it's so much fun, but unfortunately ticket lasts after 3 hours.
what I believe was missing in this pool is a bar (don't know if in high season it is open). a cool drink would have been highly appreciated.
As we stayed one day only and activities are many, we will visit them soon again, eager fro more.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tizianashanghai
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We spent a week at this resort.
The sun island itself is a isolated island. So you can escape from the Chinese town/village and/or people.
As we are members of the Interval International, we can use outdoor wave pool and indoor pool. They were great. When we use the wave pool, we were the only guests. But they operated the wave machine just for ourselves!!
There are restaurants. The main Chinese restaurant seems to be great, but we had difficulty of the communication. The restaurant staff did not understand English. So we have to estimate the food. Yes there are English words on the menu, but, most of them were difficult to understand. Fortunately, the most dished we have ordered were very nice.
The Italian restaurant was good. But it closes 7 p.m. We think it is tooooo early.
The next day of your check-in, the hotel staff (She speaks fluent English), brought us to the local supermarket for shopping. You can buy glossary there.
And the room for us is a separate two-sory-cottage. There were two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a big living room. and a full-kichen including a fridge. Wi-Fi worked very well (except twitter and Facebook, they are blocked in China.) The rooms were comfortable for us.
Within the island, you can freely use the shuttle bus. Just dial 4, then the bus immediately (at most 3-5 minutes) comes to the door.
If you want to visit downtown Shanghai, there are two options.

1. Easy and expensive way:
There is a limousine service to/from Shanghai Indoor Stadium Station.
RMB 100 (round trip / one way is the same)
9:30 am from Hotel
9:00 pm from Shanghai

2.Cheep but advanced route:
The local bus (No.3) station is located just outside of the resort.
The resort shuttle bus driver will show you the way.
It is very easy, you will never lost.
The bus time table was provided by the resort staff.
(It is punctual)
The bus fare is just RMB 1 to ZhuJiaJiao bus station. (about 20 minutes)
(ZhuJIaJIao itself is a good destination for the tourist.
Just walk out from the bus station to the canal and bridge
(about 10 min.)
From the ZhuJiaJiao bus station to the Shanghai is
only RMB 12 by the express air-condition bus.
There are several routes to the Shanghai downtown.
But I recommend the express bus to the Puanlu bus Station.
(Chinese: 普安路)
The bus route is called Hu Zhu Expressway (Express)
The bus travel is about 60 to 80 minutes.
They are very convenient.

We enjoyed very much.
Please enjoy the magical city!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family