“Up and down experience”

Ranked #77 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Up and down experience”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This hotel was recommended but from the first I was not impressed. It is really geared to business travellers so if you are not in Shanghai on business, think twice about staying here. Whilst there are lots of shops and eating establishments in the near vicinity, the location is far from a metro station, at least 20 mins walk to line 9, even further to line 2. The room itself was good, comfortable bed, spacious bathroom, well equipped, good wifi. The decor is something else. All the black in the corridors and and lift lobby was too much and the carpets.....Breakfast was very expensive for a tourist so did not partake, instead went to a local cafe (very good and much more reasonable).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stephanie991181
GERFA, General Manager at Grand Mercure Shanghai Century Park, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Stephanie,

Thank you very much for your feedback.
Great reading that the room, wi-fi, bed and amenities met your expectations and that you overall have enjoyed your stay even if not very happy with the design of certain areas and the distance to metro lines.
In case any BUSINESS brings you back to Shangahi another day, we would be more than happy to welcome you once again.

Gerhard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Good service, nice rooms, and clean. Rooms are easy to work in, wifi is good. Good breakfast although made-to-order omelets were undercooked. It is better to get to breakfast early- more selection and better service (6:30-7am). Last day, omelet chef could understand more english- good omelet. Over years- breakfasts have gone down a little, but still a high point. Dinner Buffet was ok, not great- better to go out, many options within walking distance- especially behind hotel. About 1.4 mile walk to subway station, underground fake goods market and Century Park (worth the 10 rmb (<$2us) ticket price for a walk around the lake. Concierge was helpful. Leave a little extra time for getting taxi in the morning,

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the street in front and take the highest floor you can get- a little noisy a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear KarlJ S,

Great, receiving a feedback from you about your most recent stay at Radisson Blu Pudong and thank you very much that you stayed with us.
Your feedback definitely will help us to improve the service points you were not fully satisfied with and to become better in terms of consistency over time.
It was very nice to read that you like the room, wi-fi, breakfast generally as well as the concierge service.
If you are back again in Shanghai for business or leisure, I would be very delighted to welcome back.

With kind regards,

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I'm currently one week into a two week stay at this hotel with my husband, who is here on business with a large group from a high tech firm.

We checked in on Saturday May 24. Check in was very smooth and we were settled into our room quickly. The first sign of trouble came on Sunday, when a large ceiling panel collapsed in the bathroom into the back of my husband's head as he brushed his teeth. The hotel quickly sent up several employees who packed our things and moved us to a business suite. An hour later a woman appeared at our door with a handful of plastic clothes hangers. She was going to swap out the wooden ones that the men had carried our clothing to the new room on. She walked into our room and opened our closet without even asking, saw the clothing all hung up, and simply left the plastic hangers and walked out. Who does such a thing? This entire incident was extremely unnerving. My husband suffered mild whiplash as a result and has had a stiff neck all week. Despite promises by a hotel employee named Jimmy that he would check on my husband the next day and assist with a doctor if needed, nobody, not even a manager, has checked in to see if he is ok. This is simply an unacceptable response to a potentially serious issue.

Other issues we've had are staff who seem inexplicably confused by my using the free breakfast that comes with the room rate rather than my husband on most days, because they are being given breakfast at the office. After my room key stopped working as I attempted to get breakfast, an employee at the front desk accused me of attempting to 'steal' a second breakfast. My husband had to make a trip to the front desk and set them straight that we weren't 'stealing' anything; that we were not both dining each morning.

Other issues have been an argument between a staff member and my husband over the amount of bottled water they will provide. We went to the lounge for a drink one afternoon and it took them 15 minutes to find an employee to use a cheat sheet to serve us tepid piña coladas with no ice in them. The pool is still closed despite very hot weather and nobody seems to know when it will open. We ordered a medium rare ribeye steak through room service one night and were given a tough, terribly overcooked poor quality piece of meat - for close to $40.00 USD. On two other occasions both our first AND second meal choices were 'out of stock'. Newspaper delivery is spotty; some days we get one; some days we don't.

The worst service I've experienced however is the utter disdain of the front door men, who on two occasions now have stood at the front desk chatting with employees while I struggled to enter the front door with multiple shopping bags, a purse, and an umbrella. They seemed very irritated with me just yesterday for requesting a non-private taxi (which are notorious for overcharging laowai).

The bright spot has been the housekeeping and room service staff, who have all been very friendly and attentive. Our room has been beautifully clean and meals served promptly since our arrival. The hotel itself is lovely and in a beautiful neighborhood. It is kept very clean and there are many amenities close by.

This is clearly a property that caters to the business traveler, but once those shuttle busses leave in the morning, the service comes to a halt. I've been treated quite poorly during the day while here and this has certainly colored my impression of this hotel. The fact that a manager has not followed up with my husband to see if he is ok after being injured by a large piece of fallen ceiling panel is quite a huge pockmark in terms of care or concern for its guests' safety and well being.

We have another week of our stay here and should it improve I shall happily report this. As of now, I cannot recommend this hotel for anyone other than a business traveler who leaves early in the morning and come back late at night. Their staff is simply NOT trained in proper hospitality.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Michelle S
Dear Michelle S,
Thank you very much for staying with us but most importantly, for taking the time writing a very detailed and very valuable feedback about your two weeks stay together with your husband.
I understand that you have experienced a large number of problems which is not acceptable at all and very disappointing indeed. I totally agree with you that all this problems were easy to avoid, should not happen generally and doesn’t show the standard we are following as Radisson Blu Team.
After I have conducted an investigation of all points I was sitting together with my team of managers, shared your feedback, analyzed each problem and created a plan of actions for resolving and eliminating every single problem.
While investigating these problems I found also that our duty manager tried to contact you several times and sent written message directly to your room for following up on the situation and offered assistance directly to your husband on May 25th.
However, it didn’t resolve any of the problems.
We as a team will be making sure that no of the points you have mentioned will be repeated in future and I sincerely apologize for the problems your have experienced.
At the same time I would appreciate if you would give us a second chance showing that we are very much able to deliver a much better service and we all looking forward welcoming you back again.

Stellenbosch, South Africa
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed at the hotel recently on a business trip. It is a very nice hotel with lovely spacious rooms and wonderful breakfast selection. The bathroom was always clean and had everything you needed. The room is equipped with everything you need, ironing board, safe, bar fridge, tv, adapter plugs, hairdryer etc. I did notice the furniture in the rooms, mostly white is not cleaned properly at all. The tub was not working (water running out) and the housekeeping/plumber was sent out immediately to come and fix it. The next morning the water shut down just as I got under the shower. It was a complete disaster as I was ice cold and waiting for 40 min with shampoo hair to get back in the shower. The housekeeping lady was very sweet and handed me a robe and tried towel drying my shampood hair! Because of this I missed breakfast and missed the shuttle bus to the Expo centre. The hotel did nothing to compensate for the inconvenience with something like a complimentary meal or discount. They did arrange the hotel car to take me to the Expo after making a fuss. The shuttle service to the Expo is great, but it does not leave always on the time they say it will. Traffic and Taxis in the city is a nightmare. They try to overcharge you with every opportunity they get. Ask the hotel to give you the card with rates you should be charged to get the places like the Expo, because you will need this. I tried out the Metro, but the nearest station is too far from the hotel. 20 minutes walk at least.
The most frustrating thing about the hotel is the language capability of the staff. Even the ones who can speak English - very poor & a hotel like Radisson should at least employ someone who will be able to assist International guests. All said, I would stay there again. It is a very nice hotel all things considering.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GERFA, General Manager at Grand Mercure Shanghai Century Park, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Christa,

Thank you very much for your stay with Radisson Blu Pudong and for taking the time sending us a very detailed feedback.
It was a pleasure to read that you overall have enjoyed your stay even if you have faced some problems in certain areas like cleanliness of furniture, water running out of the shower/tub as well as the problem communicating with associates in English language and how we responded to the problem overall.
These are very disappointing points indeed and not reflecting our standards of our hotel.
Please accept my sincere apology for this experiences.
I am very certain that your feedback will help us to work harder on improving our service

Again, thank you very much for your feedback and I am looking forward welcoming you back again and showing that we can do better than you have experienced at this time.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Near to the exhibition center and the damuzhi square, i cannot complain anything about the hotel. There was a renovation going on as of August 2013, and i was accomodated in a room at another wing which was just inferior to the room at the main building, at the same price i used to pay. I was not given any notice in this regard beforehands.

Otherwise rooms are clean, and free minu bar was just lovely. I just wish that the renovation was successfully completed.

• Stayed August 2013
GERFA, General Manager at Grand Mercure Shanghai Century Park, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear dage x,

Thank you very much indeed that you have chosen Radisson Blu Hotel Pudong Century Park as well as for taking the time reviewing your stay and sharing your feedback online.

After the renovation was completed in August 2013, our guests are enjoying the fresh face of our rooms and and we are receiving many good feedback especially about our buissnes class rooms.
Since you have stayed with us last year, we also have done serveral face liftings of public spaces and improved continue our service side in order to make the stay for our guests even more comfortable and enjoyable.
That we have missed to inform you in advanced about our renovation project, is indeed not good and i do apologize for this.

Again, thank you so much for your kind feedback and our entire team is looking forward welcoming you back again soon.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Fantastic hotel very well decorated lovely carpets most unusual design
Bedrooms lovely and big and compeer table
separate desk /reading lamp plenty of sockets for recharging phone etc
Excellent breakfast and dinner
Very friendly German Chef and Scottish Dining room manager
Shopping centre within very easy reach of hotel

Room Tip: Great hotel to stay in
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
GERFA, General Manager at Grand Mercure Shanghai Century Park, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear JOANce,

It was great to read that you have enjoyed your most recent stay with us and I do appreciate that you have posted and shared your experiences online.
That you have rated the room and its amenities, the breakfast and dinner as excellent is a very nice feedback for us and we are doing our best to meet and exceed the lodging and culinary expectations of all our international guests.
I may thank you for staying with us and looking forward welcoming you back again soon at your next business or leisure trip to Shanghai.

Suzhou, China
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I spent only one night at this hotel, and picked it as it had good reviews and is only about 30km to the airport. The decor of the entrance and restaurant area was modern and fairly modern. However, the room decor was cold, made up of white and an olive green colour.

The room itself was was very spacious, and the first thing you notice is a price list on the bed for buying pillows and sheets, which is very strange. I was told that the room had a good view of Shanghai, and disappointed to see that I only saw blocks of apartments. (Maybe that is the view of Shanghai??) The warm was very warm and the air conditioning did not seem like it shifted even though we turned it on.

We booked the hotel without breakfast, and decided to have breakfast in the hotel in the end. It was fairly expensive, but the selection of food was good, one side for Western and one side for Asian and the middle being continental. There was a lovely selection of fresh juices and homemade yoghurt. However, the hotel was very busy and breakfast was very noisy and crowded.

I was told by a friend to add to my booking that we were celebrating a birthday (which we were), and the hotel did nothing to acknowledge that at all. The overall service we received from the hotel staff was good.

I believe the hotel is a good location for business people, but for a traveller needing to use the metro it is about 20minutes walk.

Overall, I would say the hotel was average. Nothing really stood out, besides really comfy free slippers. Compared to other five star hotels I have stayed in Shanghai, this one does not compare.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear missmcheng,

I appreciate very much indeed your very detailed feedback about your stay with us in March.
It was a pleasure reading that you like the decoration of our lobby, restaurant, space of the room and its city view as well as the breakfast food selection.
Regarding the missing birthday treatment, I regret very much that the department you have booked with, didn’t communicate this properly to our guest relations team and I apologize for this experience.
On behalf of the entire Radisson Blu Team, I may wish you all the best to your birthday afterwards.
I do hope that you overall have enjoyed staying with us and if I can be of any assistance to you for future visits please do not hesitate to contact me personally.