Asset Hotel Shanghai
  • Restaurant
Nandan Hotel(Shanghai)
Fengyuan Hotel(Shanghai)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsling lingsouth roadcorn flakesthree starmini fridgerooms are clean and comfortableminutes walkingshopping districtwestern stylemetrointernetenglishtaxichinacongeexujiahuisnoring
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 March 2008

We booked the hotel through our travel agent about 2 weeks before our trip. We were throughly happy with our stay. The hotel was clean, safe, and quiet. The hotel is located on this one way street, although very easy accessible from the other streets surrounds it. The hotel is done similarly to the Travel Lodge in the US. The room has a fridge and a safe deposit box inside, and all the little things that comes with regular rooms. The hotel also has complimentary breakfast that has coffee, milk, orange juice, fruit, eggs, various Chinese style foods, toasts, and fruits. The hotel also has 2 computers for guests to use. The hotel is within 10 minute walking distance to various popular locations and underground stations.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank babyoscar530
Reviewed 5 February 2008

I spent last weekend in Shanghai and found the Asset Hotel on the booking.com website. For a traveller exploring the City by Metro and walking it is a good choise. Just 5 minutes walk to Shanghai Stadium (circle line), approx 30 minutes to the Bund by Metro . Heng Shan Lu with its bars and restaurants is also not far away.

The staff was very friendly and at least at the front desk English speaking. The rooms are not very modern equipped, but cozy and clean. And also a simple western style breakfast was available.

All in all I was satisfied and can recommend this hotel for budget travellers. I paid only 208 RMB (approx 20 EUR) per night, that is a very good rate in Shanghai and valid up to the End of February 2008.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank rko_traveller
Reviewed 4 February 2008

Before I arrived I was worried about a sub-$100 [USD] hotel in Shanghai. Having to cut through a parking lot and up between some tall buildings to find the entrance did not ease my worries either... but..

This hotel is really a gem. By Western standards, I would say it's a 3 star hotel. Not many amenities, the rooms are a bit plain, some rooms are small.

I chose to upgrade [why not, the price was right] and found myself in a 2-room suite with a large living room and bedroom. Rooms are very plain [now I'm repeating myself, so, it must be true]. I commented to the hotel manager as I was leaving and she said they were working with a consulting company on updating the colors and furniture.. Honestly, this would be a awesome place to turn into an art-deco-style hotel... Lots of potential.. I'm looking forward to seeing what they turn it into..

On the plus side, the hotel staff is excellent... Very excellent. Warm and friendly. Rooms were very clean. Beds were comfortable [not hard!]. The internet connection was speedy [not always the case in China hotels] and there were some good places to eat [local food] nearby.

Check out the location carefully before booking. If your business in Shanghai is on this side of town, this hotel is highly recommended. If you'll be heading to do tourist stuff on the Bund, this is not a good location as the direct subway line around the south side of the city (between here [Dong An Lu station] and the Bund) is not yet completed. You'll need to go way around through the city center if you're riding the trains.

Shanghai is one of my favorite cities in the world and this hotel is a very nice bargain if you find it to be in a convenient location. If you want a more central location, check out "The Bund Hotel" for another great bargain.

• Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank Ramblin66
Reviewed 3 February 2008

Sitting in the hotel now, and I have to say its very comfortable. The rooms are small so if thats not your bag dont come but if you can deal with it everything else is top noch including the service which is priceless and anyone who's been to China knows good service is priceless. (hard to come by sometimes).

Its geared towards foreigners with a directory in English and Mandarin. Because the room is small its quick to heat up or cool down. Comes with a mini fridge, even an electronic lock box. The shower is nice but no bath tub. They serve breakfast in the morning which is nice if your trying to save money.

The hotel is hidden between buildings but very close to the street, you wont hear loud honking cars going by.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2008

If you want to have a cheap, clean hotel then I would recommend this one. Yes it is 3 star, but for 200RMB it is great value- clean, healthy breakfast and a good place to stay for a few days. We ended up using the metro to do some sightseeing- about a 10 minute walk and of course the metro is easy to use. Only problem might be for your taxi driver to find the hotel- as others have said. Although I printed out the address and instructions from sinohostel ( the booking agent I used) I also printed out instructions from other web sites- eg shanghaihotels- which the taxi driver ended up using. A good base for sightseeing.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple