“Great budget hotel”

Ranked #676 of 5,104 Hotels in Shanghai
Manila
“Great budget hotel”
Reviewed 15 November 2008

Asset hotel is one of the best budget hotels my girlfriend and I have ever stayed in. They were easy to contact via email, the hotel itself is a great value for money, and it's near enough to two train stations that it's very easy to get around shanghai. Convenience stores and some restaurants are located nearby in case you want to step out for a quick snack, and overall their staff were very polite (a rarity in the chinese service industry, as far as our experiences have shown).

The room was large enough and tastefully decorated. The bathroom worked excellently and was restocked everyday. The breakfast buffet was satisfactory, if a little same-y (not much variety over the 3 days we were there), mostly scrambled eggs, vegetables, meatballs, congee and dimsum, with cereal and bread for western diners.

However there was one issue we had that keeps me from giving it 5 stars. We requested a hotel pickup , which cost 250 RMB. Upon arriving in Shanghai's pudong airport at roughly 12am, we could not find a sign with my name on it. We walked around for 15 minutes before eventually calling the hotel and asking if the pickup had arrived. Unfortunately the girl on the line didn't speak english very well, and she told us to "just take a taxi to the hotel", which we did. 3 days later, on the day of our departure, Mr. Reynold the hotel manager approached us and informed us that the pickup was there until 1 and since the hotel had already paid for the service, he asked (in a very polite manner, I must add) if we would be willing to pay half of the original charge (125 RMB) to over the cost.

I felt that this was quite unfair to us as we had walked the length of the airport already at 12am and were told by his own staff that we should take a taxi there. He explained that his night staff weren't very good with english, and while I understood his side of the story ultimately I felt that the hotel should take the hit for the misunderstanding. Eventually I offered to use the advance deposit we made upon check-in to the hotel (worth 100RMB) as recompense, and mr. Reynold, while he didn't look too happy about it, agreed.

I think that Pudong airport's procedures with regards to waiting for arrivals were the main cause of this problem, as upon our departure we saw a sign that said "meeting area". Perhaps the taxi was there, and yet when you exit the bagage claim area there are already numerous people with signs of hotels and guest names, so it can be very confusing.

I would highly recommend staying at the Asset Hotel if you visit Shanghai, but it would probably be best to take a taxt (or an airport car as we did) to get to the hotel. We paid 200RMB for the airport car, which was lower than what asset hotel had to offer, though I think if you bargain enough you can get it even lower.

• Liked — Great value for money.
  • Disliked — Problems with airport pickup.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ryansumo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore
Reviewed 21 September 2008

Instead of our usual choice of international hotel chain in Shanghai, my friend and I decided to save some good money for our shopping this time round. We spent a total of five nights in Asset Hotel in Sep 2008, and were happy with our decision. We chose to stay at Asset Hotel after having seen the hotel management's response to a bad review on tripadvisor.com. We took it as an indication that the hotel takes a serious view about their business and indeed, it turned out to be quite true.

Shanghai city maps, metro maps and tourist information were made readily available near the hotel's entrance. This had not been the case for some of the five star hotels which we had previously stayed in Shanghai - we have to ask for them. The counter staff also attended to our queries patiently and took efforts to find out for us if they did not have the answer at hand. The good service attitude have compensated for the lesser aspect of the hotel - the location, breakfast and some of the room fittings, which are not very big problems that can be overcomed quite easily.

Taxi drivers generally do not know Asset Hotel. Some of them took a long time to locate the property even when we furnished them with the exact address: 590 Wanping Road South. Hence, it is important to further tell the taxi drivers that the hotel is located near, or more specifically, diagonally opposite Longhua Hospital. However, if one does not mind taking the crowded subway and doing with a 7 to 10 min walk, one can alight at Dongan Lu station (Line 4), get out of the station at exit no. 2 or 3, walk straight until one reaches a cross junction (where a "Guci Cafe" is visibly situated), the hotel is only a stone throw from there. We also found the hotel breakfast to be rather inadequate, in terms of both quality and quantity. The staff had appeared rather hessitant, or unsure of whether to replenish the food when they ran out (usually by 9am). Hence, we spent most of the days taking our breakfast outside as good food are very affordable and easily available in Shanghai.

We stayed in a junior suite on the second floor and found the room to be on the whole very clean, though we observed that paint on some parts of the wall are peeling off. We have also observed that hooks for hanging clothes are not available in the bathroom and it was a hassle to take hangers into the bathroom. Given that the entire bathroom was tiled in white ceremics, brown stains in between the tiles were also quite visible.

Nonetheless, on the whole it has been a pleasant stay. The free internet access is a big plus point. It has allowed us to do some last minute planning and facilitate our change of travel plans. We did not encounter any slowness or difficulties when accessing the net.

• Liked — Free internet access
  • Disliked — Location and breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank Zauber
Palatinate
Reviewed 4 August 2008

I stayed at the Asset Hotel for 19 nights last month, and I can recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good hotel at a good price.

The staff from door keepers/security over front desk personnel to room maids and breakfast service is very friendly , helpful and establish a good atmosphere, so that you soon feel at home.

My room (superior single) was clean, air conditioning, LCD-TV , refrigerator all working well. The breakfast buffet offers a vast variety of Asian and Western style food: scrambled egg, spinach, sweet and meat-stuffed dumplings (baozi, jiaozi, mantou), fried noodles, croissants, toast, jam, peanut butter, rice/ soup, corn flakes, melon/apples, milk orange juice, tea, coffee, water etc.., all very tasty and hygienically presented by the staff who wear masks.

Two subway stations (Line 4) are located within a 7 minutes walk from the hotel, Dong An and Shanghai Stadium, also supermarket, local convenience stores and restaurants are nearby.

As mentioned in an earlier review, there are problems with the speed of the internet connection, but since my friends told me this is rather common in all Shanghai, I can't blame it to the hotel.

To sum it up, good value for your money!

• Liked — Good price, friendly staff, breakfast, location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
5 Thank yancie
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 30 May 2008

This is my second review of the Asset Hotel. The first was after a stay last October when I unexpectedly checked out early from another hotel because of very poor customer service. Now, after many others have “discovered” and reviewed the Asset, I returned for two separate stays of two nights and six nights in May to see what has changed.

In January I had the two-room executive suite, not as preferable as the Junior Suite. The room is not as sunny and the bath is considerably smaller. The furnishings for each are about the same. If you really want a separate sleeping room and two TVs, then go for the executive suite. Otherwise, I think you will enjoy the junior suite more.

The rooms all are being refurbished and I stayed in a newly redecorated junior suite at a rate of around US$75 for promotional low-season. I have attached a new picture of this room. The brown toned décor is restful and classy. There are sheer Roman blinds along with room darkening drapes. New brown carpet is on the floor, and the rooms on the west side are very sunny most days.

You get what you pay for at the Asset. If you pick the lowest promotional rate room, you get a small room, paying around US$30 or so for western-style accommodations in Shanghai. (I passed by and peeked into several types of rooms during remodeling.) The rate you are quoted is the final rate, with nothing added at checkout. Everyone gets the free limited breakfast and China Daily newspaper at the front desk.

The hotel enjoys its high ratings based on its commitment to customer service. All the front desk personnel, as well as housekeeping, are so cooperative and willing to help. They smile all the time, and seem genuinely happy in their jobs. Although most do not have a conversational use of English, they try hard and get help so they understand your needs. There is always one person on duty with knowledge of English.

On the negative, the free in-room wired internet was terribly slow this time, equivalent to dial-up speeds. The TV cable has CNN back on as well as ESPN, Star movies and National Geographic.

Perhaps the biggest drawback has been the location in the XuHui district, near the Xujiahui shopping area, and that now has a nice resolution. The missing link to the Inner Circle (Line 4) and Line 8 of the Subway are now open, so within five-seven minutes you can enter the subway station (Shanghai Stadium) and get to most tourist areas in the city, including Pudong and the Longyang Station (Line 2) for connection to the airport Maglev. The standard fare of about 4 yuan (US 60 cents) gets you everywhere downtown quickly with very clean and bright stations and cars. I took the completely bilingual subway a lot this time because of the new convenience and Shanghai's traffic gridlock from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Subway to East Nanjing Road was quicker by five minutes and cheaper than a taxi. See subway map at [--]. Even in heavy daytime rains, the hotel was able to summon a taxi for me in several minutes.

As prices rise all over Shanghai, and the American dollar continues to slide versus the RMB (yuan), this value-oriented hotel continues to provide great rooms with friendly helpful people.

• Liked — Newly refurbished and improved subway service to almost everywhere
  • Disliked — Slow internet
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
8 Thank SoBeSparky
Japan
Reviewed 23 May 2008

I stayed at the junior suite by taking up a recommendation from one of the suggestions I've read. At first I was sketchy about the quality of the hotel so I placed a reservation for only a night through the hotel website for less than UDS 80.

The quality of the hotel exceeded way over my expectations, the room and area was quiet, and I felt like I really got the relaxation I've been wanting. Instead of staying for a night, I changed my mind and stayed the rest of my trip. The hotel even offered free transportation to the airport for me because of my extended stay in the suite and that really made me enjoy my stay even more. I felt like the hotel treated me very kindly and the staff couldn't have been friendlier and helpful about my questions.

Some things that could improve was that the hotel didn't provide any foreign exchange, so that was not convinient because I had to go to the bank. Also, it was not as near to some tourist spots therefore I had to go by taxi but luckily the taxi fare was cheap, but there were lots of great shopping spots and restaurants near so that was good! I enjoyed my stay very much!

• Liked — The kind staff that really took the time to accomadate all my needs.
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was an absolute pleasure to stay at the Asset Hotel.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank k105169
Taipei
Reviewed 14 May 2008

My friend in Shanghai booked the hotel for me. I'd say the hotel exceeded my expectations in its rate-range. To me it's a good bang for the buck.
Besides my nice clean room, it's the staff that impressed me most. they satisfied my requests quickly. That's the main reason I'm writing this review, with the breakfast (yes, hot food and complimentary!) and the free shuttle bus being the bonuses.
With so many hotels to choose from, I'd say I'll stay with Asset again the next time I'm in Shanghai.

• Liked — Helpful staff.
  • Disliked — No pool, but it's ok.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank AlvinChao
Beijing, China
Reviewed 13 April 2008

After reading reviews about this hotel, I thought it would be a nice place to stay, but I got disappointed.

Arriving at the hotel, the first impression was real good. On the outside it looked real nice and even the entrance was quite impressing. After a quite speedy check-in, we were brought to the room and from there on I'd rather forget what I saw.

The room was Small, capital S. The window couldn't open, the curtains were dusty, the sheets on the bed felt like they were put on there still wet, the size of the bathroom was kinda okay, but the shower was real dirty. There were some kind of brown stains in the corner; it just looked like it hadn't been properly cleaned for months! Next to that, we had a room which was on the end of the hallway, which was, I thought in the beginning, kinda nice. But after spending just a couple minutes in the room, I changed my mind. Right outside our room was a staircase for emergencies. Since they were painting the building and all people were running up and down that metal stairs all the time. What a noise! And besides that noise, there was all sort a noise coming from outside, even though it's not located right next to a road.

And by the way, the breakfast is horrible. There was not much to choose from and the orange juice is just aweful.

Luckily we stayed there for just one night!!

• Liked — free internet
  • Disliked — that it was just dirty
  • Stayed April 2008
1 Thank Linda_in_China
lai-taipei, general manager at Asset Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, 5 May 2008
Greetings from Shanghai!

We trusted that you had a wonderful time attending the Celine Dion concert. Unfortunately we also learned that you were not that satisfied with your stays at our hotel.

We took your comments seriously. All defects you pointed out were reviewed personally by myself and the related staff. Solutions for fixing the problems and preventing them from happening again were raised. Two management meetings were held specifically for your case during the past weeks. Our goal was to assure that no similar issues would happen again. All possible disturbances to our valued guests must be ruled out. We simply do not want to lose any valued guests.

We have pretty much covered all your comments. Hardware problems were easier to fix. Staff training will take time but we are working on it. We didn't response review immediately because we took time to examine our property and our services first. Now the management and the staff at Asset Hotel would like to extend our sincere appreciation to your comments. For you have pointed out some shortcomings that we have neglected and that is truly helpful for improving ourselves.

Finally, I would like to thank you again for staying with us and giving us constructive comments. If you plan to travel to Shanghai again, please be sure to visit us. We would like to hear it from you on how you like our improvements and what else we can do to outdo ourselves.

Once again, thank you very much.

Sincerely