“Beautiful Boutique Hotel in fantastic location”

Pudi Boutique Hotel
Ranked #200 of 5,205 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and loved it.
The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. We had booked a Deluxe-Room online and got a room on the 6th floor overlooking the entrance of the Fuxing Park.
The whole design is very fancy with curious details such the clock display to the ceiling. Our room was very spacious with a big comfortable bed, a chaiselongue at the window for relaxing, a desk with a printer in the cupboard, tea making facilities with a sink and a microwave. The bathroom is very big and had a bathtub with a Jacuzzi function and a separate shower which was great. Bathrobes, comfortable slippers and all toiletries were provided as there were plenty of towels. Complimentary water was provided each day.
The free Wifi worked well in the room.
Location: just next to the hotel is a Starbucks and some restaurants as well as a convenient store across the street. The entrance to the Fuxing Park is just around the corner. The big shopping street Huaihai Middle Street is also in walking distance and you are in the heart of the French Concession.
Before checking out, the reception called us to ask if we needed help with our lugguage and whether we needed a taxi.
We were very happy with our stay and would choose this hotel definitively again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Grabbed some last minute offer that was well worth it for the size of the room (massive - more like a suite) and location, which is unbeatable. Very poor reception but I am not a demanding type. Still recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2014

For the most part, the hotel is nice. The AC is centralized in the winter, so don't make the mistake of turning it on...or you will heat your room to a mild swelter. The layout of the room is a bit odd...still haven't figured out the TV Stand/ Bar in the middle of the room...not sure what that is all about...The greatest advantage of the hotel is the location...but that's really its only advantage, when compared to similarly priced hotels in Shanghai.....All in all, this place is pretty average.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Room
The room is beautiful and big! Huge paintings on the wall. I love the long sofa by the window, which I can chill and read books after work. The room is also equipped with a DVD player. The A/C is also good, strong enough for a hot day in Shanghai, but you can also successfully tune it down when you feel cold at night.

I particularly love the bathroom, it is huge and it is separated into 3 zones - toilet, jacuzzi bath tub and shower. The bathtub looks clean and new to me. I personally find the water pressure ok.

One complain I have about the room is that the room is quite dark at night. In the daytime, it is ok since it has a huge window.

Building
The moment I step into the hotel and the elevator, I feel like I am in a scam. The lobby looks a bit old with that weird fish tank and the elevator looks tacky with the mood lights. But my impression changes totally when I step into the room. The size and decoration of the room certainly makes it worth the price.

Location
The hotel is located near Xintiandi - about 15 minutes walk. You will need to cross a bridge and then keep walking straight. Taxi is cheap in Shanghai, but the traffic jam may sometimes make walking even faster than commuting. I haven't taken any subway in Shanghai, so I am not sure if the hotel is near to any subway station. There are few local restaurants and café near the hotel too (5 minutes walk), and the food is cheap and good.

House-keeping did a good job, room is clean. They are also the most generous hotel I have ever been - they give you 4 big bottles of water every day! If you need to call a taxi, the hotel can also help you with that.

The gym room is quite disappointing. It is extremely small, and you need to find a staff to turn on the light and AC before you use the room (cause the room is unused and closed most of the day). However, the staff is very friendly when I want to use the room, he even shows me around the rooftop garden.

I never try the hotel breakfast, as the restaurants and café nearby are much more attractive to me.

Price
It is a bit pricey in Shanghai, but compared to other boutique hotels I have been to, I actually think it's worth the price. I will definitely come back again when I visit Shanghai!

Room Tip: The gym is located on the rooftop garden. The rooftop garden has a beautiful bar as well with some o...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel is ideally located from the main shopping street and we found that almost all cab ride ended up costing 14 RMB (a couple dollars). We discovered that Uber was available in Shanghai, so we just ended up calling a private car with our app. It was worth the extra fee, since we often had a hard time getting cabs to stop for us. I believe the metro station is short trek, but we never ended up using mass transit.

Rooms are very nice, clean, and huge with blackout curtains.

There is basically no concierge, so don't arrive expecting the staff to help you book anything. They are nice and try to be helpful, but they're not concierges. There is also no room service.

Water was shut off midstay on my floor and we were moved to another room. This was frustrating and ended up going to front desk, since the luggage cart they promised never arrived.

I would definitely stay here again during my next visit to Shanghai.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank carlosgW1688IY
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Dirty air co. Dusty rooms.
If you played Bioshock then you might like the decor and feel - if not you won't.
Air conditionings a pain - in smoggy city's it's important and when not cleaned it adds to the misery.
Nice staff and cool rooms but ultimately not great. Won't stay again.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank FreezingIrish
Reviewed 20 October 2013

A city hotel in a great location (close to Huai Hai Rd, Xintiandi & right next to Fuxing Pk), this boutique hotel is at first charming & decked out in an east meets west style. Its fairly new yet shows signs of wear & tear (wood panelling peeling, bathroom tiles cracking). The hotel is dark & after a while, the mood lighting & fishtanks outside each room seems a little kitschy. Check in was smooth, staff were friendly (some limited English) - you definitely get more out of them if you speak Mandarin. Service although not lacking is efficient but definitely not 5 star standard (no automatic greeting or smiles, bell boys are fiddling with their mobile phones in the lobby). But when you do ask for assistance or help, they are on hand & willing. We were upgraded to a corner room which is larger & had 2 outlooks (one outlook overlooking Fuxing park was refreshing). The blinds were difficult to adjust and very dusty.

The room is large but I found the switches confusing & locating the masterswitch to turn of all lights at bedtime was quite a task. I liked their bedside clock which had a mechanism that projected the time in red light on the ceiling so you could tell the time while lying on the bed & looking up. The bathroom is large but found the water pressure for the shower weak. The toiletries were Locitane. No pool facilities but a small often unused gym. Breakfast is not good. Limited selection & unappetizing. Not your typical 5 star international hotel offering. As I was staying a week, I stopped eating there after the 3rd day. Staff were efficient and helpful when you approached them but overall were indifferent in their attitude.

If you are looking for a business hotel in a convenient location - this hotel is a good option. But I wouldnt stay here unless there was a special promotion (which on this trip - I booked a promotion deal via Travelzoo). Overall I had a pleasant stay - this hotel has the potential to be great but misses the mark.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends