“Luxury next door to a great university”

Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan
Ranked #102 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was dubious about the CP as the conference hotel for a conference at Fudan University, which is across the street. It turned out to be elegant and comfortable, equal to any international five-star hotel with very few glitches. I was surprised and impressed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Robert S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear guest,thank you for your review and your recent stay with us.We are pleased to know that you appreciated the hotel environment and amenities. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

about 1 km to the nearest metro station and about 15 minutes walk to big shopping mall.

Atmosphere outside the hotel is nice and relaxed due to lot of Fudan university students.

Hotel itself is great as well with spacious rooms and great breakfast. The gym is ok, but quality of massage poor.

Room Tip: ask for a room from high floors with city view. Wondeful views from such rooms, especially in night...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Robert S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear guest,thansk you for your stay at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan and taking time to post comments on Tripadvisor,coM. We are very glad to know that you appreciate the atmosphere,room and breakfast. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future!

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

It takes only 30 minutes from downtown and near to Fudan University. Buffet breakfast is good too. You should consider Crown Plaza Shanghai Fudan to avoid the traffic during working hours in Shanghai.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear guest,thanks so much for your comments in Trip advisor.com.we were pleased to note that you appreciated the breakfast and environment of our hotel. Your encouraging review will help us constantly improve our service and quality, and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I am just finishing up a week long stay at this property. It is beautifully furnished and well maintained. The rooms are quite large and comfortable. The staff is extremely efficient and helpful. The location is somewhat removed from the main attractions, but there is a large shopping and dining area within a 15-20 minute walk and the nearest Metro station is only about 15 minutes away as well.

The food in the restaurant and the bar is good, but not great ! I had the dinner buffet one evening and was a bit underwhelmed. That might be due to my more Western tastes, but I also questioned the quality of some of the dishes. For breakfast, there were plenty of choices both Asian and Western and was on par with what I would expect.

My only primary complaint is the Internet. They offered Wireless and Wired connections in the guest room. The wireless was painfully slow and not evenly distributed within my room. I often found myself sitting on the floor near the door to get a decent signal. The wired option was better but still very slow.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Paul F,

Thanks for taking the time to share your staying experience with us at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan. We are delighted to know that our environment and service made your staying more enjoyable.About the food quality you mentioned, we want to learn more details from you so we can clear it out and monitor the standard. If it is convenient,please send mail to reservations@crowneplazafudan.com and we will take care of it. Besides that,About the internet,we have passed this issue to IT,sorry for any inconvenience we may cause. We hope this would not alter your decision when you choose us next time! Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed as part of a tour and thought this hotel was easily a solid 5 star favorite. While the location is away from central Shanghai and close to Fudan University the luxury and comfort was worth it, e.g. value for money.

The rooms are large and beautifully furnished, everything worked as it should, an added plus was a seprate shower and bath. The buffet breakfast was superb with a huge variety of fresh foods, likewise for dinner.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Larry R
Robert S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear guest,thanks for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan.We are delighted to know that our room ,environment and breakfast made your stay experience more memorable.Looking forward to your next stay with us! Thank you! :)

Reviewed 9 April 2014

About Hotel
This Hotel is a group of IHG and mentioned as a Green Hotel as I saw at the Entrance.

Location & Nearby:
Hotel is around 50 mins drive from Pudong Airport and Located just nearby to Fudan University. This Hotel is located on the Handan Road ,Corner adjoining the Guoquan Road.
Nearby and Surrounding you find mostly the Fudan Universities various department Entrance Gates and some Eatouts.
Just come out of hotel walk for 2 mins you will find a Lawson and Family Mart Departmental store for your daily needs.
And rest of all are Chinese Cuisine Hotel, Hard to communicate what u want in English.
If you further walk down the same road (just ignore left/right) around 10-15mins you will come to an End where Big Road crosses and same junction you will find the Guoquan Subway line. If you want to move to any other Attractions you can tell the Concierge to arrange a Taxi.
When I walk down road outside hotel in the evening after 7pm, I find its deserted and hardly few people outside.

Rooms:
I was staying at 14th Floor, Since I was about to stay for a Long duration they upgraded my room to superior and provided free Wi-Fi/Lan Internet at Room. Otherwise its of Charge. Rooms are spacious, and overlooking the Fudan University Auditorium and can also view the Pudong Oriental Pearl TV Tower , And some skyscrapers of same region but from a far view. You can see my Pictures of View From Room

Food & Buffet :
There is a restaurant at the Ground floor called Café Mix. Dinner Buffet have okay selection and free beer (can) as well cost you around RM 298/- and Buffet Breakfast is chargeable around RM 130/-. Food is good and have a choice – but not a wide range. I got a free drinks voucher also, so had a free wine at first floor bar.
Overall Food is good.

Staffs: Staffs are polite, courteous and helpful. They understand my requirement and serve accordingly. Like for Taxi, once I told my office location and next few days whenever they call taxi – don’t bother me again explaining the address.

Overall, the Experience was good in all aspects.

Room Tip: Higher Floor is better
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Robert S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Guest,thanks for sharing your staying experience at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan with us.We are delighted to know that you are satisfied with the hotel room and environment ,and the staff made your staying more enjoyable.We will continue to strive in delivering quality services,allowing our guests' to indulge in the best they deserve. Looking forward to your next stay with us and continuous support in the near future.Thanks!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I made a reservation for my daughter, for one night at Crowne Plaza Fudan in Shanghai China.

My daughter was to stay one night at this hotel, Wednesday February 26, prior to her moving into student accommodation at Fudan University. The rate was 850CNY/night plus 130CNY for breakfast and wi fi access for a total of 990CNY plus tax.

Due to some unexpected issues at the university, she was unable to move into her dormitory and returned to the Crowne Plaza Fudan the following day to stay another night. The front desk advised her, that only ONE room was left in the whole hotel and it was a more expensive room at a rate of 1300CNY/night plus tax, and another 130CNY for breakfast and wi fi.

She sent me an sms, I am in Australia, advising me of this increase. I immediately checked the hotel's website. There were at least SIX non smoking rooms available at the lower rate of 850CNY/night, as well as numerous, less desirable yet still available smoking rooms at the same rate.

I then called the international reservation call centre and spoke with Angel. She was very helpful when I explained the situation and told her I felt my daughter was being taken advantage of by the Crowne Plaza Fudan staff. I said it was very deceitful of them to ‘rip off’ a young girl.

Thankfully Angel immediately called the hotel and using my credit card, was able to secure another room, at the lower rate.

My daughter then contacted me, telling me that the front desk had miraculously ‘found’ a cheaper room and they would move her there. This response indicates to me that the front desk knew they had been caught out.

This is probably not the only hotel to falsely escalate prices of rooms to people who walk into a hotel needing immediate accommodation. Where possible, check online for room rates beforehand.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank tessybear15
Robert S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear tessybear15,thank you for the review.we are very sorry that you experienced inconvenience due to the staff.We have looked into the issue you mentioned and found that our staff misunderstood your daughter's request and did not provide her the best offer.We would like to assure you that we have communicated your feedback with concerned department and corrective actions have been taken. We hope this would not deter you from choosing Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan again in the future.Looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again.Thank you!