Jinguang Express Shanghai Nanjing Road Pedestrian Street Fujian Middle Road
Ranked #2,040 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore
“Great Location”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Based on some comments elsewhere about the price of hotels in Shanghai (esp the ones near Nanjing Road) - if it is cheap, most likely it is very old, I had expected the hotel to be old.

This probably used to be a decent hotel in Shanghai, but it is now very old. I can see some work being done, e.g. new "fake" wood flooring, a fresh coat of paint, I see some work being done whilst I was there on the ceiling, and also work done on the room bell whilst I was there.

Seing as this hotel is located in a fairly noisy (all the roads in China are noisy), we had requested for a room at the back and it was duly granted. Thank you :)
So, noise wasnt an issue at night. Besides, the whole roat at the front is really quiet at night (when we walked back at around 10pm - it was already quiet)

The room is what is expected of what we had paid for - RMB240 per night in prime location of Shanghai.
It was fairly clean, no dust and thankfully no cigarette smell, no foul toilet smell either.
The beds could use changing. You can literally feel the spring on the mattress.
Since we had the triple room (one double bed and one single bed) for the 2 of us, we used the duvet of the single bed as an additional bedsheet to cushion us from the mattress spring. It would have been tough if not for this.

Nothing beats the location. 5 mins walk from Nanjing Road, about 2 mins walk to the metro (Nanjing Road East), and about 10mins walk from eateries (behind Howard Johnsson hotel). There are many eateries around Nanjing Road, but we'd like to sample local food - so these are about 10mins walk away.

I'd have to add though that the hotel does look shady, i.e. like one of those that could be rented on an hourly basis (though I did not see any of this sort of activities on the 2 nights i was there).

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TinTinTin

Business
Hong Kong
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel on the 30 Aug. My friend from Shanghai booked this hotel for me. I was shocked when I walked into the room. I could basically smell the bathroom when I entered the room. The room looked very old in general. It wasn't really that clean as well.

Since the hotel is right next to the road, it was very noisy at night. I could barely sleep. I paid 230rmb to stay there for a night. My friend helped me booked another hotel for the rest of my trip. I went to another better hotel for around 280rmb/ night. I would say there are better choices in Shanghai, if you were looking for budget hotel below 300rmb.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

Daet, Philippines
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We had the mistake of booking a room in this hotel online without checking its reviews.

Upon our arrival, this hotel is hard to find, especially with its obscure entrance. It is on a minor street amidst a neighborhood of hardware shops. The facade is particularly ugly and looked rundown. The taxi cannot get us off in front of the hotel because of parked vehicles. We had to get off at some distance. The sidewalks are littered with hardware materials and dog droppings and dirty puddles. We had to gingerly lift out suitcases to avoid the filth. This is an exceptionally bad part of an otherwise clean city.

At the front desk, there is only one girl who had the slighted ability to speak English. The rest had zero English.

The inside of the hotel is a dump. but that did not prepare us for our room.

The second floor hallway was narrow, dim, and dirty. The cheap vinyl tiles are already damaged. with piles of dirty linen at the far end.

Our room was an absolute dump. It was small. Peeling paint. Thin beddings. Badly lighted - some of the lights do not work. The air-con had exposed ducts, and its remote control is difficult to use. The TV is an old vacuum tube with VERY BAD reception, like a 60s TV set! The floor is cheap vinyl and heavily damaged.

Every noise from the street and the adjacent rooms can be heard in our room. The walls are made of thin plywood.

The WORST PART is the toilet. There is sewer odor emanating from the floor drains. All the fixtures are rusting away. I could not put my soap on the soapdish for fear of catching tetanus! The faucets and flush button are very dirty. The floor drains do not seem to have a p-trap, as we could hear the flowing sewage from the next room. There are tiny flies flying around in the shower enclosure. The bowl does not flush well. There is exposed piping under the sink that is obviously a bad repair work.

There was not enough toilet paper in the toilet. in the middle of the night I had to go down to the reception to ask for a toilet paper. There was nobody at the front gate. there was only a night watchman, with whom I had to desperately do a charade of a toilet paper to get 1 roll, and run back to our room.

The management are very dishonest by claiming in the websites that this is a business hotel, when in fact it is one of the worst hotels you could find.

Even at $69.00/night in the EXPO season, the price is still a ripoff. We tried to look for another hotel, but they were all full.

It was a very bad experience for us.

Please consider this a warning to other travelers to stay away from this horrible hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank islandfern
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Even before I stepped into this hotel I was creeped out. The location looks nice on a map, but the surrounding neighborhood is run down and full of aggressive street vendors. The lobby is extremely cramped, hot, and has a terrible odor. The staff at the front desk spoke about three words of English and were not able to help me whatsoever.

I arrived after booking my room via a very reputable online travel agency but was told upon my arrival that my credit card was no good. However, a charge from the Chenglong Business Hotel was already on my credit card statement and my first night had already been paid. At this point the "manager" came out and asked me to pay 700 RMB ($115 USD) in CASH and we would work the dispute out in the morning. At this point I collected my bags and went out to the airport to stay for the night.

All-in-all this is a shady operation and not a place I would recommend to my worst enemy. Do your research and find a better place. I found a gorgeous little hotel in the North Bund area for a slightly higher rate, but it was worth every penny. I am writing this review as a warning; please heed my advice!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank dunning630
Koroit
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Very good value accommodation for the budget conscious traveler, I paid just under $Aust.60 per night, which was great value considering the price hikes and general lack of available accommodation in Shanghai during the World Expo.

Motel is in an excellent location, just a couple of streets off Nanjing Road, 10 minute walk to the Bund and close to the underground Metro. No other motels near it , it is surrounded by small hardware stores and is bright orange so it is hard to miss!

Rooms are small but very clean with a comfortable bed, it is fairly quiet considering its downtown location, I had a very large bathroom, counted 107 TV stations but only one English speaking channel.

Cons: would not accept my Australian Master card. Pros: one computer with free internet in the lobby, perfect spot to shop for that hard to get nut and bolt set you have always been after!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Scotland
Reviewed 11 June 2010

The description of the hotel as a business one is somewhat misleading. The hotel is very shabby looking and in definite need of a refurbishment. Things got off to a bad start . The lift doors opened to reveal 2 cleaners carrying bags of rubbish, which had leaked all over the lift floor. Then the keycard didn't work. I had booked a "deluxe double". The room turned out to be a very scruffy looking twin. I complained and we were moved to a double room but there was nothing deluxe about it. Cracked walls and a musty smell. Also situated on a noisy side street. We couldn't get the internet to work and the staff admitted the cable in the room didn't work and sent up a handyman to enable us to use the wireless network instead. Luckily we only stayed here one night. I wouldn't have stayed any longer. Staff were grumpy and spoke little English. Although close to Nanjing Road there are far better and cheaper places to stay in Shanghai. Give it a miss.....

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple