“A real gem in Shanghai”

SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund
Ranked #47 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This is a great 4star hotel in a fantastic location - 2min from Yu Yuan metro station ( intersection of 2 lines ), 5min from Yu Gardens, 15min from the Bund. Direct access to Hongqiao Airport and train station ( do take a 30min G train trip to Suzhou to see the Humble Administrator's Garden - it's fantastic! ).
We stayed in the King Executive City View room the 11th floor and it was beautiful with great views towards Pudong in the east and city centre to the north ( Renmin Rd ). It was very nicely furnished, with huge soft bed, separate sofa/sitting and desk area, free wi-fi, free minibar with soft drinks and cookies, espresso coffee maker, bathrobes, slippers and a very nice strong rain/dual shower in the bathroom ( plus a circular bath ). Breakfast was included in the rate and it was very good with excellent choice of both western and chinese food. The breakfast room is a bit small but very elegant and there is a nice terrace outside where you can eat as well. The lobby is small but classy and the check-in/out was smooth and non-problematic.
If I ever visit Shanghai again, I will definitely consider staying at SSAW again. It's was a great experience.

Room Tip: If you can, book the Executive King with city views ( there is only one such corner room on each flo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay with us.
I hope you had a pleasant trip back to Poland.

We are very thrilled that you enjoyed your stay here at SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Our location is unbeatable since we are in the heart of this interesting city.
In addition, we are glad you liked our breakfast buffet. This is a very important aspect within our hotel. During our next meeting I will forward your comment to all relevant departments.

In name of the entire team I would like to thank you again and hope to welcome you back to Shanghai. Please feel free to contact me directly by e-mail if any further assistance is required.

All the best,

There are newer reviews for SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund

Reviewed 14 October 2013

The room is incredible nice and with a very good value for money for its huge quality. It is a really confortable room with all that stuffs that turn your journey more pleasant.
Terrible bad isolation, or even NO isolation from the street’s noise. The front street has a lot of traffic and you can clearly hear the cars noise like they were inside your room. I asked for another room in the backside of the Hotel, but they were completely full because being Saturday of the happy New Year season. If you stay here and you do not like street’s noise then ensure that they give you a quiet room.
Nevertheless, at the night the front street calms down and I did not hear more cars. Yet, and as happened in all my stays in different hotels of China, I was always being waked up with the guys of other rooms beating their doors closing. And the worst thing is that the doors do not close by themself and then they start beeping a very loud alarm. One of my neighbors let its door opened beeping and I had to stand up of my bed to close his door. It was really boring.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Welcome to our SSAW Hotel Tripadvisor page.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

We are pleased to understand you enjoyed the quality of the room.
Our modern rooms are all equipped with comfortable interior.
However, I do apologize for any inconvenience regarding the street noise.
I understand the situation and we are sorry there was no other room available during the Chinese festival. Please contact me again in case you would like to stay here again, I will make sure we will offer you a room according to your preferences.

Once again, we all appreciate your time and efforts and do hope to welcome you back soon.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We were there for approx. six nights in late Sept-early October. I can't believe we stayed in such a great place for so (relatively) little money. We're not terribly demanding guests as we leave early to explore and come back late. All we really need is a clean, quiet room and we're happy. We were on the 8th or 9th floor looking out the front, a room with an excellent view.

We never did try the hotel restaurant, so obviously offer no comments in that regard, other than it looked impressive. We did ask the front desk about directions, activity suggestions and the like and they were very helpful. They also got us tickets for a local acrobat show

I can't recall reading in other comments that south of the hotel is an old market area, proof that Old Shanghai hasn't died yet - see it while it's still there. Some stalls sell live chickens and pigeons who you can watch meet their respective makers, if you catch my drift.
Also, north west of the hotel (on the way to the Shanghai museum - free admission and good) is Yunan Street, which has lots of Chinese restaurants. English will be a problem for most of the servers but most of them have menus with photographs. We ate most of our meals there and all but one or two were quite good, and none of them were abysmal.

Should you require beer/soft drinks etc. at inconvenient hours, there's a little corner store next store. It was there we learned, with some amusement and help from an English speaking customer that the standard North American sized beers can be more than twice of prize of the huge Chinese bottles that are regularly sold here. In other words less costs more.

Room Tip: A room on the front side has an excellent view. Construction noise can be avoided (or at least redu...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Thank you very much for your review concering your recent stay with us.

We are always pleased to read about our guests enjoying their stay at our hotel.
I do agree the old part of the city is still there with many interesting places to visit.
Since we are located in the heart of this metropolitan city, our hotel is perfect for business and leisure. We do hope you had a pleasant flight back home and hope to welcome you back soon.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights, it was a pleasant and enjoyable stay, only we stayed at 2nd floor, which was quite noisy when some people passing by outdoor (the hotel massage is located at 2nd floor, which makes it noisy)

Breakfast was ok, choices were wide and looked decent and clean. Only the staffs weren't really helpful and not initiative enough to speak English... They would be friendly enough to smile to you though, just prefer Mandarin instead of English... would be nicer if they could speak up English, as most of the tourists weren't Mandarin friendly.

The location of this hotel is good. It is like 5 mins walk to Yuyuan Garden Metro Station. This hotel is also closed to Yuyuan Garden, where is a famous Chinese garden in Shanghai. It worths a visit. Nearby also got lots of street markets for souvenirs. It is just a busy and fun district to check out.

Last but not least, I would still consider to come back, but next time I would def. request to stay at higher floor to avoid the noise.

Cheers

D

Room Tip: request to stay at higher floor and say NO to second floor, in order to avoid the noise
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DominiqueUltee

Dear valued guest,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Please allow me to thank you for your time and efforts to share your experience with us.

I am of course saddened to read that we fell short of your expectations regarding customer service during your stay. During our next meeting I will forward your comments in order to improve our service in each department of our hotel.

On behalf of the entire SSAW Hotel team I do apologize for our any inconvenience due to our staff performance. I am glad to understand you would like to stay here again next time. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any assistance in order to offer you a high floor room.

Once again, thank you very much and I do hope we have the pleasure to welcom you back soon.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed six nights in the hotel, and this was a very nice experience. Good location, bund and shopping on walking distance. metro near the hotel. Breakfast was correct, and the breakfast terrace is a lovely place. Rooms were beautiful and large, especially the executive type.
Good wifi, clean bathroom.
Staff at the hotel were very friendly and did their best to speak english, but we were lucky that there was even a dutch speaking guest manager (Mr Taal), who helped us with touristic tips, maps, and transport.
When we had a problem about the price with a driver he intervened or took the necessary steps to excuse when it went wrong. My daughter is studying in Shanghai, and will certainly recommend the hotel to her friends.
Philip Vanassche Belgium

Room Tip: Upgrade for executive room with breakfast included is worth the price
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank philipvanassche
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Mr. Vanassche,

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your most recent stay at SSAW Hotel Shanghai. I do hope you had a pleasant and comfortable flight back to Belgium.

All staff members are doing their upmost best to offer the best customer service and I am glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally in order to make a new reservation for friends of your daughter, I will be glad to assist you further.

Once again, thank you very much for your comment on our Tripadvisor page. We do appreciate the time and efforts to share your thoughts with us.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I was there 2 weeks ago, with my family. It was the first time we visit Shanghai so we were looking for a good hotel, not very expensive and with good communications.
This hotel was a really good choice. If we go back, we won't doubt to stay in the SSAW again!
The service is so good, but the most impressive thing are the rooms! They are so cozy and comfy. It makes you feel at home!
You have your own coffee machine and all the mini bar for free.. absolutely delightning!
If you are foreigner, like our case, all the front desk staff is always willing to serve you.. restaurant recommendations, buying tickets, anything..
The same for the restaurant.. for beeing a chinese hotel, all the western food was good, and the same with the breakfast. Good coffee and good service.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear guest,

Greetings from Shanghai today.
Thank you very much for your comment regarding your recent stay with us.

It is such a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay with your family.
During the next meeting, I will proudly share your comment with the entire team.
We are delighted to know that you consider SSAW Hotel as your hotel of preference in Shanghai.

Thank you again and I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

i stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and i greatly enjoyed my experienced there. it is quiet, nice, ina tropical balinese design and the location is simply unbeatable...you can walk to Bund - 10 minutes walk, you can walk through the best shopping centers, just take opposite direction and it includes Parad, D&G, Gucci outlets, as well as Marks and Spencer, Zara etc...just the names of few. the rooms looks nice and clean, reasonably sized, they provide any toileters you need, sleepers etc...check in and check out process was very quick and professional too...5 minutes and you are there. the personaell speaks good english, taxis are waiting for you during the day in front of the entrance. pharamacy and eateries are just 5 mins walk away. i plan to stay there again in November.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear valued guest,

On behalf of the entire team at SSAW Hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We really appreciate your time and efforts.

We are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and are planning to return this November. I will be glad to assist you with your new booking. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly by e-mail.