“Perfect location, amazing price & staff !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shanghai Narada Boutique Bund

Shanghai Narada Boutique Bund
Ranked #42 of 4,969 Hotels in Shanghai
Singapore, Singapore
“Perfect location, amazing price & staff !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We recently stayed at the SSAW Shanghai and WOW what an amazing hotel. The staff are so friendly and helpful and can speak excellent English which is a great comfort when travelling in China.

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel at home. A welcome drink, quick efficient check in, and our room available at 9am an added bonus..... you couldn't ask for more, especially after an overnight flight.

Our room was well appointed with all the standard amenities you expect from hotels these days. The coffee maker, free drinking water and unlimited free mini bar ( non alcoholic) are nice added touches along with the free wifi which worked very efficiently.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the room nice and quiet. The bathroom has shampoo/conditioner/soap dispensers and a box full of all the things you need when travelling..... and if its not there reception will organise to get you what you need.... no questions asked.

The staff will go the extra mile to make your stay in Shanghai a pleasant one. We used them to book our acrobat tickets and our train tickets to both Suzhou and Hangzhou, saving so much time and effort for a nominal fee.

Niels , the manager, is always on hand too to answer any questions you may have or help give advice on where to go and what to do. Even on his day off he is happy to have his staff call him in need to help make your stay comfortable.

We used the Maglev to go to the hotel from the airport and then the Metro the last little way. It saves the hassle of getting in a traffic jam and with the metro only a few minutes walk away from the hotel it really made arriving and leaving quite easy.

The location of the hotel is perfect. Its inbetween the Bund and Peoples Park and right next to the old city. You can walk to all these areas easily, including Nanjing Road shopping district.

Many other hotels cost so much more and are in very busy areas. The SSAW hotel beats them all hands down for value for money, location and friendliness.

If your looking for a home away from home you cant look past this hidden gem in one of Asia's remarkable cities. Book SSAW you wont be disappointed.

1 Thank sandmriley
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at Shanghai Narada Boutique Bund, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear valued guest,

Please allow me to thank you for such a detailed comment regarding your recent stay with us.
Besides this comment is very important for us, I am sure all future travelers will be glad to read your review in order to plan their stay in Shanghai (location, transportation).

During our next meeting I will share your kind words to show we are 'on the right track'.
As a foreigner in China, I absolutely understand the difficulties you may encounter due to language issues. I am very satisfied to read you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope to welcome you back soon.

nielstaal@live.nl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed at SSAW Hotel, Shanghai from 19th October 2013 till 22nd October 2013 in Executive City View Room. It was our pleasure to mention that we were very satisfied staying with SSAW Hotel.

This was our first visit to Shanghai and we received unprecedented hospitality, friendliness and tenderness of the people in Shanghai especially from the SSAW Hotel Staff. They enquired of our day’s planning and guided us. On several occasions, they wrote in Chinese for the destination so that we can show it to the Cab Driver for our hassle-free and safe movement.

Thanks to Mr. Niels Taal, Guest Service Manager of SSAW Hotel Shanghai we got a room at 17th Floor with beautiful City View. The location of the Hotel is just perfect, few steps from Exit-4 of Yuyuan Garden Subway and very near to People Square.

We would also like to mention about stupendous Breakfast arrangement at the Hotel. Special mention for the mix of Western & Eastern dishes with changing menu.

We will definitely visit at least one more time to Shanghai and also love to stay at SSAW Hotel.

We wish all the best to all the members of SSAW Hotel.

God bless all

S. N. Bose & Saswati Bose
27th October 2013

1 Thank SNBose
Dear Mr. and Ms. Bose,

Greetings from a sunny Shanghai today.
After our contact by e-mail prior to your arrival, I was very glad to welcome you at our hotel recently. Thank you very much for your review on our Tripadvisor page.

I will surely forward your kind comment to all relevant departments and I am sure all staff members will be delighted to welcome you back in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me again for any further assistance.

Warmest regards,
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I loved this hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. Some were able to speak 4-5 languages which helped. The hotel was clean and quiet. It was near the subway and the Yuyuan Garden. The food in the hotel was good. The patio was peaceful with a great view of the city. One of the better hotels I stayed in in China.

1 Thank rai473
Dear valued guest,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
I do hope you had a pleasant flight back to the US.

We are all doing our upmost best to let all guests enjoy our welcoming service and unbeatable location in the very heart of Shanghai. I am thus satisfied to read that we, according to your experience, are one of the better hotels in China.

Thank you very much for your comment and I do hope to welcome you back soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights .. When we arrived we have been upgraded to a suit room .. Amazing room with amazing view, such a nice touch, the staff were very friendly and could speak English , they were very helpful! The location of the hotel is
Absolutely perfect it a very close to
Main attraction,10
Minutes away from the bund, 10 minutes away from
People
Square , 10
Minutes away
From
Naijing road , and the line10 of the subway is literally 3 minutes away!just perfect !!!
The only raison why I did not give five it s just for the breakfast, my partner loved it but me not!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FranLondoner
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comment on Tripadvisor.com.
We are glad to read you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed our free upgrade to our suite room. In addition, since breakfast is very important for daily functioning, we are doing our best to let all guests enjoy our intercontinental breakfast buffet in the Four Seasons restaurant. Please do not hesitate to contact me privately to give us any suggestion in order to improve our breakfast.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your time for sharing your thoughts with us.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Just came back from Shanghai and stayed here for 4 nights.

The location of this hotel is unbeatable, within 5 mins walk from the nearest subway station Yuyuan Garden and most of the tourist attractions such as Yuyuan Garden, The Bund, Nanjing east road walking street etc can be reached by walking.

The room is bigger than expected, clean and tidy rooms, comfy beds, big toilet. But the shower room has an unpleasant smell, do keep the toilet's door closed most time. Do expect noise from the road in the morning as it's located by the main road, especially rooms facing the main road. Wifi works fine in the room.

It was a pleasant stay but the staff's attitude and poor guest service have minus all the merit point for the hotel.

We're not demanding guests but we found that the attitude of front desk staff is bad. We can't felt any warmth/friendliness from the front desk staffs. We're not sure if this only occurred to us, we can't feel friendliness/warm hospitality from them, even we're speaking Mandarin to them. We don't even hear any greetings from them, neither nihao, good morning or even a smile when approaching the front desk. The doorman is much more friendlier and polite than the front desk staffs.

We felt there's a double standard when they're serving an English-speaking guest and Mandarin-speaking guest. They need to improve their hospitality/service attitude, and to give the same treatment to every guest, no matter what languages you're speaking to them.

Also, when we called for the pillow option service, the staff who answered the phone had told us that there's no pillow option, they only have one type of pillow available (which is the soft pillow on bed), and we confused. As we read the service guide in the room, we saw there's pillow option service available which is actually provided and stated on the guide. So, we called for the second time and told the staff that we saw it on the guide, but the staff still told us the same answer, and we asked them to check their guide. And finally they realized that they have other type of pillow, and sent us a firmer pillow. The guest service is poor, the staff is not familiar with their hotel's available services and told the guests off without checking, this is unacceptable!!

And there's a day where the hotel left us a note to inform us that there will be water supply disruption during the night. This note should be left in every room with guests, but they didn't. There's no note left in our friend's room and they only realized when we told them about this.

Awesome hotel but terrible guest service. Seriously, we think that the attitude of the front desk staffs & guest service quality need to be improved.

Room Tip: avoid room facing the main road for better sleep
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank aikawayen
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at Shanghai Narada Boutique Bund, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear valued guest,

Please allow me to thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.
Each and every comment is very important to us and we take feedback seriously in order to improve our product and services.

Firstly, we are pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel location and rooms.
In name of the entire team I do apologize for any inconvenience during your stay with us.
Additionally, I would like to inform you we reviewed certain areas with team members at SSAW Hotel Shanghai.

All guests may choose a different type of pillow and I apologize for the fact my colleague was not informed well about this option and did not check this. I will make sure the front desk staff will be informed again about this issue in order to avoid this situation in the future. Also, I am very sorry you had the feeling that we have a double standard for serving foreigner and Chinese guests and I will surely forward your comment to all departments within our hotel. Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly by e-mail to discuss this further, I will be glad to assist you.

Warsaw
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

This is a great 4star hotel in a fantastic location - 2min from Yu Yuan metro station ( intersection of 2 lines ), 5min from Yu Gardens, 15min from the Bund. Direct access to Hongqiao Airport and train station ( do take a 30min G train trip to Suzhou to see the Humble Administrator's Garden - it's fantastic! ).
We stayed in the King Executive City View room the 11th floor and it was beautiful with great views towards Pudong in the east and city centre to the north ( Renmin Rd ). It was very nicely furnished, with huge soft bed, separate sofa/sitting and desk area, free wi-fi, free minibar with soft drinks and cookies, espresso coffee maker, bathrobes, slippers and a very nice strong rain/dual shower in the bathroom ( plus a circular bath ). Breakfast was included in the rate and it was very good with excellent choice of both western and chinese food. The breakfast room is a bit small but very elegant and there is a nice terrace outside where you can eat as well. The lobby is small but classy and the check-in/out was smooth and non-problematic.
If I ever visit Shanghai again, I will definitely consider staying at SSAW again. It's was a great experience.

Room Tip: If you can, book the Executive King with city views ( there is only one such corner room on each flo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay with us.
I hope you had a pleasant trip back to Poland.

We are very thrilled that you enjoyed your stay here at SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Our location is unbeatable since we are in the heart of this interesting city.
In addition, we are glad you liked our breakfast buffet. This is a very important aspect within our hotel. During our next meeting I will forward your comment to all relevant departments.

In name of the entire team I would like to thank you again and hope to welcome you back to Shanghai. Please feel free to contact me directly by e-mail if any further assistance is required.

All the best,
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

The room is incredible nice and with a very good value for money for its huge quality. It is a really confortable room with all that stuffs that turn your journey more pleasant.
Terrible bad isolation, or even NO isolation from the street’s noise. The front street has a lot of traffic and you can clearly hear the cars noise like they were inside your room. I asked for another room in the backside of the Hotel, but they were completely full because being Saturday of the happy New Year season. If you stay here and you do not like street’s noise then ensure that they give you a quiet room.
Nevertheless, at the night the front street calms down and I did not hear more cars. Yet, and as happened in all my stays in different hotels of China, I was always being waked up with the guys of other rooms beating their doors closing. And the worst thing is that the doors do not close by themself and then they start beeping a very loud alarm. One of my neighbors let its door opened beeping and I had to stand up of my bed to close his door. It was really boring.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Welcome to our SSAW Hotel Tripadvisor page.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

We are pleased to understand you enjoyed the quality of the room.
Our modern rooms are all equipped with comfortable interior.
However, I do apologize for any inconvenience regarding the street noise.
I understand the situation and we are sorry there was no other room available during the Chinese festival. Please contact me again in case you would like to stay here again, I will make sure we will offer you a room according to your preferences.

Once again, we all appreciate your time and efforts and do hope to welcome you back soon.

Warmest regards,