“Great value in awesome location”

SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund
Ranked #46 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Manchester
“Great value in awesome location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

This hotel is excellent value and close to a tube station. The reception and hallways are in a traditional south east asian style which gave the hotel character which we really liked.

The rooms were large and comfortable. Loved the free soft drinks and biscuits in the mini bar! Not many English TV channels but that wasn't really an issue. Similarly, breakfast had some 'western' options but it probably isn't on par with other hotels. Nevertheless, the choices were sufficient and I loved being able to eat on the terrace.

Reception staff spoke excellent English and were really helpful in giving us advice and booking some circus tickets. Top tip - take a business card from reception to give to Taxi drivers, we had issues trying to explain where we wanted to go.

Overall a great option for a stay in Shanghai!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MitchManchester
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear guest,

In name of the team, I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback following your stay at Narada Boutique Hotel Shanghai- I really appreciate your efforts.

I have noted your comments regarding our TV channels and breakfast dishes. At this time, we offer intercontinental breakfast which includes pastries, fresh fruit, egg station, salads, cheese selection and more. We are always willing to improve and it would be fantastic if you could let me know what you were missing during your breakfast. Please do not hesitate to contact me about this by e-mail.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

ssawsh@outlook.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the ssaw hotel shanghai. Quality hotel, the staff couldn't have been more helpful. The rooms were exceptional. We booked the deluxe. With the bath over looking the city. Well worth the money. We also thought the breakfast (choice) and location of the breakfast room was superb. ( 4th floor. Access to a little roof garden) The hotel is very well located, close to the bund. A 10 mim walk. And also very close to yuyan gardens. The staff were very helpful and polite. Top hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Steelman14101
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for staying at Narada Boutique Hotel Shanghai and for writing such a lovely review on Tripadvisor.com. I am glad to read you enjoyed the quality of our rooms, helpful staff and our centralized location.

We hope to welcome you back if you ever visit Shanghai again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly by e-mail for any enquiry, it will be my pleasure to assist you further.
Once again, we certainly appreciate your comments and wish to be at your service soon again.

Warmest regards,
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

The good news is that this hotel is located near a Metro station and has English speaking staff there. It is also less than 30 minutes walking to the Bund and other places in the area. Taxis are easy to find because there is usually one or more parked in front of the hotel.

The bad news is that this hotel is in need of remodeling. The hallways have dark panels and dark lighting and that makes it hard to see where you're walking and putting your card key into the door slot.

Once inside the room some of the walls needed a new paint job and there were stains on the seat cushions. Along the window sills was just dirty and some of the curtains were dirty as well.

The breakfast buffet was ok. There was a mixture of Chinese and western foods there.

At check out one of the western staffers (I suppose the manager) asked if there was anything that could be improved upon. I told him about the dark hallways and he wrote it down. From what he replied to me made me thing he gets a lot of complaints about this problem. Hopefully, they will be able to do something with it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StickyGlue62
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear valued guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your opinion with us. We appreciate your time and efforts to write down your experiences on TripAdvisor.com.
I am very sorry that you was not satisfied with our hotel interior and cleanliness of your room.
We take pride of being the home away from home for many types of travelers.

Our hotel lobby, guest rooms and hallways are designed in a South East Asian style, which makes the hallways a bit dark. We have thus introduced some atmosphere lights near all doors to make it easier to open the doors. I regret you had these difficulties during your stay. Kindly note that after your check-out I have forwarded your suggestion to all relevant departments.

However, I was not aware of the other issues regarding your room. Today I have checked this particular room and we will repair this at once. Thank you very much for providing this important information to us in order to improve our hotel for future guests.

Although you said the hotel, our intercontinental breakfast and location was fine, you gave it 2 stars, also for guest service. Was your score based more on service since you did not mention anything regarding our service upon your check-out? Please do not hesitate if you would like to share more details as we always try to improve our product and services.

We certainly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back. If there is any way I can be of service to you, please feel free to contact me personally at 'ssawsh@outlook.com'.

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Our family of three (me, husband and daughter) had a four day vacation in Shanghai last April. SSAW is centrally located, thus, the best hotel to stay for first time travelers in Shanghai. The very competent GM and his very helpful staff made our stay very pleasant indeed. Breakfast buffet was value for money. We had no air conditioning the entire stay. But the weather was a bit cold so it did not matter in the end. The hotel gave us a fan that we hardly used. Oh well, think of the electricity saved and contribution to reduced pollution!

We missed our flight back to Manila because we misread our AirAsia ETD Shanghai. The SSAW staff was very helpful in trying to contact AirAsia so we could be accommodated in the next flight out without any additional cost on our part. Unfortunately, no one was picking up his call. So we had to purchase new AirAsia tickets.

Definitely, we will stay at SSAW Hotel if we ever visit Shanghai again. Will highly recommend to our friends. As to AirAsia....... lousy customer service.....lived up to its name "low cost carrier"!

Leah

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LeahPC
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for staying at SSAW Narada Boutique hotel last April.
We appreciate your time and efforts to provide us your hotel experience.

Besides business travelers, we are glad to welcome many first time travelers to our hotel in downtown Shanghai. Since this month we have prepared special room key pockets with all tourist information, directions and a detailed metro map. I will definitely forward your amazing comment to all staff members who made your stay so pleasant. If you would like to enjoy this facinating city again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly by e-mail, it will be my pleasure to assist you again.

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I am so pleased we chose the SSAW hotel in Shanghai. The hotel really has a beautiful boutique calm feel about it. We got a great deal on Expedia for the SSAW room and I have to say it was absolutely beautiful. One of the nicest hotel rooms I have stayed in. The little design details were lovely and the bathroom beautiful and modern. Bed extremely comfortable. This is not your typical flashy Amercian hotel and that is exactly what I loved about it but it does not lack on any front, everything you could need was provided including good wifi. The breakfast was delicious on the rooftop cafe each morning, with lovely background music and nice surroundings. Neils, the guest manager was so friendly and helpful and a pleasure to deal with. I was a little concerned when booking re location but it was great. A few minutes walk to Yuan metro which can get you anywhere or a short taxi ride. This was the last hotel for our 3 week stay in China and was the perfect way to end our holiday. I will definitely be back and wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: If you are a couple, select the SSAW room with King Bed with breakfast included. Not sure if all ide...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Mr. and Ms. Lewis,

Welcome to our SSAW Hotel page on TripAdvisor.com.
It was our pleasure to have you here and I certainly hope you had a pleasant flight back to New Zealand. In addition, I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay with us.

You are right- our hotel is not an ordinary hotel but it is designed in a beautiful South East Asian style. I am satisfied to read you enjoyed your breakfast on our rooftop terrace with skyline views, it is definitely a perfect start of your day in Shanghai. During your stay we have introduced a new traditional high tea menu. Since I am not sure whether you already enjoyed this, I would like to invite you upon your next stay with us.

I am sure all departments within our hotel will receive your comments proudly. We are looking forward to welcome you back soon. Please feel free to contact me directly by e-mail, it will be my pleasure to assist you again.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I booked on hotels.com, got a good deal on a suite, indicated when booking that there were 3 of us (2 plus daughter). The booking form made no reference to a charge for an extra bed (unlike other hotels, who indicate clearly if there will be such a charge). Paid upfront, glad to be assured that everything was paid for. On check-in, no extra bed - then told there would be an extra charge! When I said 'but I indicated very clearly when booking that there were 3 of us, and there was no indication of an extra charge', I got the response 'oh, in Asia people often sleep 3 to a bed'. After persisting (at great length), still getting nowhere, FINALLY mentioning TA, they offered a family room in lieu of the suite (not nearly as nice a room, but at least there were 2 beds).

Next morning, breakfast. 'Oh, because you booked a room with a queen bed you only get 2 breakfasts'. 'But my booking indicated clearly there were 3 of us - we can't exactly share a breakfast!'. The answer was still 'no' until I said, 'OK, I will go out and get breakfast on the street so my wife and daughter will have breakfast here, but there's going to be a terrible review on Tripadvisor'. Suddenly the person I was speaking to said 'excuse me', spoke in Chinese to the man standing next to her at the desk (who had taken no part in the conversation and as far as I could tell had ignored it completely), then turned to me and said 'I have just checked with the manager, you can have the extra breakfast'.

Final issue - on asking for late checkout they offered an extra 2 hours (from noon until 2) - if we paid an extra half day at rack rate!

Message to SSAW - if you are going to take advantage of the marketing that you get from sites like hotels.com, remember that customers book through those sites to get a good price. Don't try to rip them off. If I had been told up-front what the extra costs were going to be I would have booked elsewhere - customers do NOT like surprises in the form of extra charges. I also don't like having to argue over things when I am on a holiday.

The usual day manager wasn't there on the days these interactions occurred, but I met him on the day we checked out, and he seemed very nice. Perhaps if he had been there this would not have occurred. My advice to fellow travellers is to go elsewhere.

Upsides - the location was good and the beds were fine. Overall the place is just a little tired.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank epsc007
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for reaching out to us on Tripadvisor.
As you have mentioned this during your stay, it was no surprise to us you gave us a bad review.
At SSAW Hotel Shanghai, we always continue to learn from guest' experiences and I am disappointed to read your review after our pleasant conversation on your last day.

I can certainly understand your feeling upon your arrival and would like to use this opportunity to explain all issues again. You have booked our 'King size Executive Suite' which was clearly stated on your booking form. Please allow me to inform our future guests that all our guest rooms suit for two persons, except for our family rooms. This means there is no extra bed unless you pay the extra charge of CNY200 per night. After this, the front desk team provided you our 'Family Suite' instead. . Besides, upon your check-in, we have showed you the booking order, which clearly stated '2 breakfast included'. In fact, we added complimentary breakfast for your child to let you enjoy your stay with us since your reservation included only 2 breakfast.

Regarding the late check-out- If we are not fully booked, we are able to offer late check-out until 2PM. If you would like to stay in the room until 6PM, the half day room charge will apply. This is never the rack rate but your actual room rate from Hotels.com. Kindly note we have offered you complimentary late check-out until 2PM.

We do regret you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel and did not feel our courtesy many guests pride us for. I hereby invite you to contact me directly to discuss this further. I can be reached at 'ssawsh@outlook.com'.

Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Service are good, room was nice but no the air-conditioner is not working.
Requested to change room but was told by the receptionist all room are the same. The receptionist offer a fan but it doesn't ease the hot feeling. Stayed there 4 days 3 nights. all 3 nights was a sleepless night and its very uncomfortable with the hot temperature,
Shanghai temperature was 17C but the room temperature was 28c
Near to Yu garden and 30 minutes to nanjing road /bund.
Go out from the hotel turn right and walk till the 2nd traffic light junction. Turn right to Yu garden. Turn left and cross the road walk around 30 minutes to nanjing road.
Will never stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear valued guest,

Welcome to our TripAdvisor.com page.
Thank you very much for your honest feedback. As hotel, we are always eager to learn from our guest' experiences in order to improve our product and services.

We appreciate your comment regarding our friendly service, room interior and location.
However, we are disappointed to read you will not come back to our hotel anymore in the future. Kindly note that the temperature on the A/C display is not the actual room temperature since many Chinese hotels have central A/C. This means we are only able to activate the A/C on days with temperatures higher than 22 degree celsius. Since a few weeks the A/C is open for the upcoming months. I offer you my sincerest apologies for all inconvenience and I would like to receive more details by e-mail. Please do not hesitate to contact me by e-mail directly to discuss this further. Be certain I will forward your comment to all relevant departments within our hotel to improve this part of our hotel service.

We still hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back next time to show you more care.
In name of the entire team at SSAW Hotel Shanghai, I once again, would like to offer you my apologies for your recent experiences.