“Great stay for a few nights in Shanghai”

SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund
Ranked #50 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
London, United Kingdom
“Great stay for a few nights in Shanghai”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I visited here with my cousin in September last year on our tour of China we stayed in Shanghai for 4 nights and it was brilliant. Unfortunately we only used the hotel for sleeping a showering so don't know much about any other facilities but it's location is brilliant and staff were very happy to help if you need anything. I would definitely recommend

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sharrison161
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear valued guest,

Please allow me to thank you for your kind comment regarding your stay last September.
I do understand you did not spend much time within our hotel since Shanghai is one of the most facinating cities in China. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly as it will be my pleasure to assist you further.

Once again, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts with us and all Tripadvisor members.

ssawsh@outlook.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Versailles, France
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Yuyuan garden and its area is maybe one of the best place to find a hotel since it is very convenient to go anywhere with the subway. Maybe East Nanjing Road is a bit better, but more crowded. And it is very easy to go from Yuyan garden station to East Nanjing Road (with line 10, one station) and then take line 2 to go east (Pudong, Century Park, Pudong airport) or west (Jing'an temple) or take directly line 10 at Yuyan garden to go to the french concession. So the location of the hotel (100 meters from the Yuyan garden) is pretty convenient.
The hotel itself is well decorated, clean and with air conditionning. The staff (composed of chinese and european people, which is quite nice to be better undestood in english) is in general friendly: for instance no problem to call a taxi, to call an hotel in Beijing to ask for the price of the airport shuttle or to write any adress in chinese to show the taxi driver.
The rooms (I had a king-size bedroom) are clean and quite modern. I had a room at the 11th floor, with a nice view on Pudong (I could see half of the Jinmao Tower, and some smaller skyscrapers enlightened at night). The mini-bar is free (water, coke, sodas, ...) and filled each day. Bathroom is also clean, but the bathtub was somehow too small: you can basecally only sit in there.
The hotel offers a large choice for breakfast with a lot of different chinese dishes (very nice to taste chinese food) and also occidental breakfast (which was not that good). You have the possiblity to have it on a terrace with a view on Pudong (you can see everything but the Pearl tower if I remember correctly).
I didn't try the restaurant but it is the same room than for breakfast.

Finally the negative points:
- internet (Wi-Fi) is a bit slow
- the fitness center is a joke
- the spa center is really expensive, don't go there for a massage. Find a better/cheaper address in a lonely planet or similar.
- I wish it was possible to go on the roof on the top of the hotel (17 floors) to have a nice view of the city...

But with online reservation sites, for ~100€ per night (king-size bedroom, including breakfast and 15% service charges), I think it is a good place to live in Shanghai for several days.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Zagadark
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Zagadark,

In name of the entire team here at Narada Boutique Hotel Shanghai, I would like to thank you for your kind and detailed comment regarding your most recent stay with us. I remember we did call your hotel in Beijing for transportation from the train station. I certainly hope all went smooth without any problems.

I am glad to read you enjoyed your stay and you found our hotel location convenient and our rooms clean and liked our modern rooms. Since two weeks, we provide free soft drinks in our hotel lobby, just like the free drinks in the mini-bar.

Besides the positive points, I have forwarded your negative ones to our relevant departments within our hotel. We will soon update our gym to make it more comfortable for our guests. In addition, we have installed new WIFI equipment in the hotel lobby and guest rooms for a stronger signal. I wish to welcome you back in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly by e-mail.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We were awed by the value for money rooms. Spacious double deluxe rooms. With the all basic stuff like tv and safe etc. Plus automatic window blinds and a capsule coffee machine and free minibar (which consists of a packet of different cookies daily and drinks like green tea coke sprite and mineral water). The lobby has all the same drinks available for free to guest as well. The lift and room door uses an sensor key card.
The gym was a sorry excuse . It was a storeroom in a lonely dark corner of the hotel with 4 machines. 2 threadmill one multipurpose weights machonce and a stationary bicycle (no digital display or level adjustment). But the main accommodation good enough to ignore the sorry gym.

The staff were multilingual and very friendly and accommodating.

Great location within walking distance of yuyuan metro and yunnan south road (food street )

Highly recommended for travle in shanghai.

3 Thank EdmundQuek
Dear EdmundQueck,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Narada Boutique Hotel Shanghai.
I am glad to hear you were satisfied with our rooms, hotel decoration and room amenities.
Besides our free soft drinks and Italian coffee in the lobby, we also provide free breakfast boxes if the guest checks-out before 7AM. When visiting our hotel next time and check-out at 3AM like last week, we can now provide breakfast boxes upon your check-out.

We will take several steps to make our gym more comfortable, thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I styed 3 days in SSAW hotel. There was Great locarion, resonable price n modern rooms. I had happy time before see a huge cockroach in my bathroom.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank YeonJin K
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear YeonJin K,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am delighted you enjoyed our superb location and our modern rooms for reasonable rates. We are however surprised to read the reason why you did not enjoyed your stay until check-out and would like to offer you my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. According to our information you have stayed here in May in our free upgraded 'Executive City view Room'. We truly regret you did not inform our staff at the reception during your stay or upon your check-out.

After reading your review today, I immediately investigated the room and I was not able to find any evidence there were cockroaches in your room. We have checked all housekeeping forms and registers and I can ensure we did not have any other complaints regarding cockroaches.
Our housekeeping team is always working hard to provide clean rooms to our valued guests and I would really welcome the opportunity to show you our care during your next visit.

In case you have any additional information, please e-mail me directly. It would be my pleasure to assist you further. I can be reached at 'ssawsh@outlook.com'. We certainly hope to welcome you back in the near future

Warmest regards,
Manchester
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This hotel is excellent value and close to a tube station. The reception and hallways are in a traditional south east asian style which gave the hotel character which we really liked.

The rooms were large and comfortable. Loved the free soft drinks and biscuits in the mini bar! Not many English TV channels but that wasn't really an issue. Similarly, breakfast had some 'western' options but it probably isn't on par with other hotels. Nevertheless, the choices were sufficient and I loved being able to eat on the terrace.

Reception staff spoke excellent English and were really helpful in giving us advice and booking some circus tickets. Top tip - take a business card from reception to give to Taxi drivers, we had issues trying to explain where we wanted to go.

Overall a great option for a stay in Shanghai!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MitchManchester
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear guest,

In name of the team, I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback following your stay at Narada Boutique Hotel Shanghai- I really appreciate your efforts.

I have noted your comments regarding our TV channels and breakfast dishes. At this time, we offer intercontinental breakfast which includes pastries, fresh fruit, egg station, salads, cheese selection and more. We are always willing to improve and it would be fantastic if you could let me know what you were missing during your breakfast. Please do not hesitate to contact me about this by e-mail.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Port Talbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the ssaw hotel shanghai. Quality hotel, the staff couldn't have been more helpful. The rooms were exceptional. We booked the deluxe. With the bath over looking the city. Well worth the money. We also thought the breakfast (choice) and location of the breakfast room was superb. ( 4th floor. Access to a little roof garden) The hotel is very well located, close to the bund. A 10 mim walk. And also very close to yuyan gardens. The staff were very helpful and polite. Top hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Steelman14101
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for staying at Narada Boutique Hotel Shanghai and for writing such a lovely review on Tripadvisor.com. I am glad to read you enjoyed the quality of our rooms, helpful staff and our centralized location.

We hope to welcome you back if you ever visit Shanghai again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly by e-mail for any enquiry, it will be my pleasure to assist you further.
Once again, we certainly appreciate your comments and wish to be at your service soon again.

Warmest regards,
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The good news is that this hotel is located near a Metro station and has English speaking staff there. It is also less than 30 minutes walking to the Bund and other places in the area. Taxis are easy to find because there is usually one or more parked in front of the hotel.

The bad news is that this hotel is in need of remodeling. The hallways have dark panels and dark lighting and that makes it hard to see where you're walking and putting your card key into the door slot.

Once inside the room some of the walls needed a new paint job and there were stains on the seat cushions. Along the window sills was just dirty and some of the curtains were dirty as well.

The breakfast buffet was ok. There was a mixture of Chinese and western foods there.

At check out one of the western staffers (I suppose the manager) asked if there was anything that could be improved upon. I told him about the dark hallways and he wrote it down. From what he replied to me made me thing he gets a lot of complaints about this problem. Hopefully, they will be able to do something with it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StickyGlue62
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear valued guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your opinion with us. We appreciate your time and efforts to write down your experiences on TripAdvisor.com.
I am very sorry that you was not satisfied with our hotel interior and cleanliness of your room.
We take pride of being the home away from home for many types of travelers.

Our hotel lobby, guest rooms and hallways are designed in a South East Asian style, which makes the hallways a bit dark. We have thus introduced some atmosphere lights near all doors to make it easier to open the doors. I regret you had these difficulties during your stay. Kindly note that after your check-out I have forwarded your suggestion to all relevant departments.

However, I was not aware of the other issues regarding your room. Today I have checked this particular room and we will repair this at once. Thank you very much for providing this important information to us in order to improve our hotel for future guests.

Although you said the hotel, our intercontinental breakfast and location was fine, you gave it 2 stars, also for guest service. Was your score based more on service since you did not mention anything regarding our service upon your check-out? Please do not hesitate if you would like to share more details as we always try to improve our product and services.

We certainly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back. If there is any way I can be of service to you, please feel free to contact me personally at 'ssawsh@outlook.com'.