“Splendid hotel close to city center & Yu garden”

Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel
Ranked #44 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Switzerland
“Splendid hotel close to city center & Yu garden”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Using a booking agent (local) I was offered this hotel and because of the fair price, I confirmed the booking. No regrets whatsoever.
The location is perfect, very close to Yu garden (a must see) and nearby the Bund (another must).

Reception was friendly and quick. The staff from doorman to waiter, to cleaner, all very friendly.
The room was nice and comfortable, good in size with a nice free standing bath tub as well as shower. That was separated by a glass wall from the bedroom section, where there also was a convenient desk and small couch/table. The bed was good, even as the linen.

Breakfast was good too, enough variation in cold and warm. Seen the many meetings outside the hotel, I actually have not used the restaurants in the hotel. Had once room service and that meal was good too.

When I need to make a remark, or actually two, it would be that the internet signal was not very strong for wireless. That could be improved. The other was that, when I had to leave for 2 nights Beijing, and returned, the whole checking-in procedure needed to be repeated again. One did not use any of the previous recorded data. But that happened to me in more places.

I certainly would use this hotel again (when next also an offer applies :-)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank WBastiaan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I have stayed at the Renaissance Yu Garden many many times. Like the other Marriott properties I have stayed at in Shanghai, after my first few stays here, being Marriott Rewards Platinum level I am usually upgraded to a suite when I stay here.

Rooms and service: the rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. The service in the hotel, particularly the club lounge staff, is excellent! The higher floor rooms facing the river have excellent views of Yu Garden and the river. This is quite nice at night with all the lights.

Location: the hotel as you can guess from the name is right next to Yu Garden, and it is also next to the metro (line 10 Yu Garden station). Though line 10 is not the most convenient line for business travelers and tourist, it is still very close to the metro if you need to use. However, with the line transfers associated with taking the subway to other nearby points of interest like People's Square and XinTianDi, weather permitting I find it easier to walk. People's Square is only a 10-15 minute walk and XinTianDI is about a 20 minute walk.

The only negative I have to say about the hotel is there is a small part of the club lounge for smoking on the 18th floor just up some stairs from the main lounge area on the 17th (where people can eat and have drinks). I may be a little sensitive to this, but I hate smelling smoke anytime let alone when I am eating. I wish they could find a way to keep the smoke contained to the smoking area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank xmikex
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 8 March 2013

PROS: great service- almost everyone smiling and greeting you no matter who you are (this is a +1 rating all by itself), decent breakfast selection, spacious room, sufficient toiletries, excellent location by people's square, yu yuan, the bund, etc., they emailed me when I checked out to tell me that I left my belongings and I received it by mail really fast.

CONS: a/c too loud and it wasn't really heating up the room, wifi is a bit weak

I would stay here again for business. I hope the staff keeps up the good work : )

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank joyyciee
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2013

My partner and I stayed there for almost a month and we really enjoyed it. We had access to the executive lounge where they offered free food and drinks at all times and where you could enjoyed amazing views.
Actually cocktails were not flavoured, room services food was quite low in quality (I guess because they tried to cook western food without having too much idea about ingredients).
Since October 2012 the hotel opened an amazing roof top bar. I have not been but my partner has, in the winter, and we are expecting to go in the summer. If they have good bar tenders making good cocktails and good music, it'll be an amazing place to stay in the summer because the views are breath taking.

I miss being there, I love Shanghai.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sandrablancogomez
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I've been a couple of times this month. Rooms at 9th and 17th floor.
The one at 9th was bigger despite of the fact the one at 17th is an executive one!
Moreover at 17th the wifi connection signal is pretty low...
Good service at the lounge at the 17th.
Good location nearby metro line #10
Overall good level.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank NicoB15
Walworth
Reviewed 12 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here during the Chinese New Year's holiday. This is not where I normally stay in Shanghai but wanted someplace more convenient to Old Shanghai and this is perfect. It is very convenient to Yu Yuan Gardens, the Bund, Old Town and the Metro. The room I had was excellent with a great view. Housekeeping, as is typical for any Marriott property was efficient and very friendly.

Being here on a major Chinese holiday is different. Unlike US hotels over the typical Christmas holiday, here the staff is downsized as everyone heads home. The result is that your choice becomes somewhat limited at the Hotel, many of the restaurants close along with the Executive Lounge. The amenities from the Executive Lounge are moved down to the lobby bar as a replacement. Sorry, not the same. Too noisy and busy, if you want to have a business conversation you have the din of the lobby as well as the bar area. Snacks selection and beverages seem more limited. I was told this Executive Lounge w better than Yangtze and Shozung Park but I'll never know since it was closed the three days I was here.

Also, unless they have it hidden, there is no ATM in the hotel. I did not see one in the lobby or in the first floor entry. I checked the hotel book and none was listed.

Breakfast was an experience, the buffet was served in the lobby cafe. The first day the hostess seated me at a table and the rest of the service was what you would expect. The second day I arrived about 20 minutes later than the previous day and it was a mad house. I was not seated, I had to find a seat and ended up sitting at the Sushi Bar in the back of the room. No one ever came to check on me or ask if I wanted coffee or tea. I ended up going up to the coffee station and getting things myself. Simply put, the staff was overwhelmed by the number of Chinese guests that they had and some of them were very demanding. A family of five sitting next to me never interacted with the staff either, this was truly breakfast home style. This aside, the food was very good and plentiful.

I'm not sure that I picked the right time to stay here, I may come back and give it another try. The above documents my personal experience, you may have a better one or a similar one if you are here on a major Chinese holiday.

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Walmack
Beijing, China
Reviewed 30 January 2013

The hotel is located near the Yuyuan garden and it is a lovely hotel, not far from the famous Bund. What is to be appreciated is that the hotel is clean and has wide windows that overlook that part of the city. If you are arriving from Hongqiao airport/ train station you can get line 10 and stop at the Yuyuan garden. The hotel is just accross the street. Staff is helpful and breakfast is tasty.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends