“It's actually a 4-star hotel, great location”

Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel
Ranked #48 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“It's actually a 4-star hotel, great location”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The Chinese authorities decided this hotel is 5-star, but it's not. 4 star at the most. Overall a good hotel, spacious rooms, nice beds, nice variety at the breakfast buffet. Room service a bit erratic (I had to wait almost an hour for a salmon bagel once). Its location is the best thing, right in front of a metro stop, and 5 minute walk from Yu Yuan, or 20 minute walk from Nanjing Road. The fabulous view of the old town is not from all the rooms. Mine just looked out on an old Chinese factory building.

Room Tip: Rooms on floor 5 suffer a little bit from the live music in the lobby.
2 Thank zenwoman35

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 30 March 2013

This was my second stay at a Renaissance and thankfully it was much better than the first !!

The start was absolutely brilliant; they were ready when my cab arrived at the hotel and took me straight to my room. No waiting in line to check in at reception. They made me comfortable in the room first….i liked this bit and surely hope other hotels inculcate this.

The concierge is very friendly and helpful. They did go out of their way to support me in anything I requested. I’d like to tip my hat for them

The location of the hotel is perfect, for a first time visitor. Since most of what you would want to visit is in close proximity. Also the shopping areas are close by; both high end as well as the low end shopping can get done within walking or a 10 min Taxi ride.

The entire staff was very friendly and pleasing at all times; greeting warmly at every occasion.

Now coming to the drawbacks:
English was not easily understood by SOME of the staff, but I did not have a real challenge as such.

The water in the bath area did not drain out properly and a pool of water formed beneath my feet, every time I took a bath. This was particularly distressing because I ended up drying myself in a small pool of water.
The water was also not as hot as one would like. On every occasion I had to take bath in luke warm water.
The Wifi speed was horrible and I mean horrible; also it kept getting disconnected for some reason

The food taste is definitely an improvement area for the hotel. The buffet at the Yu Cafe was nice, not awesome but good; however the Cheese cake I ordered was downright horrible.

4 Thank aakashshirodkar
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We arrived at in Shanghai quite late and had very little time to explore the city outside of a set schedule in the two days we were there, so it was even more important that our hotel provide a pleasant respite. Yu Garden was definitely that! The rooms were clean and comfortable, the shower was AMAZING, and the breakfast buffet could not have been better. (I mean that last one quite literally, and I eat a vegan diet. It offered more than enough options for any dietary choice.) I was not able to visit the fitness center/pool. We did use the conference facilities downstairs. The wireless access was perfect, and the staff were extremely accommodating with our setup needs.

I hope to return to Shanghai, and I will most likely stay here.

1 Thank IllinoisDana
Switzerland
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Using a booking agent (local) I was offered this hotel and because of the fair price, I confirmed the booking. No regrets whatsoever.
The location is perfect, very close to Yu garden (a must see) and nearby the Bund (another must).

Reception was friendly and quick. The staff from doorman to waiter, to cleaner, all very friendly.
The room was nice and comfortable, good in size with a nice free standing bath tub as well as shower. That was separated by a glass wall from the bedroom section, where there also was a convenient desk and small couch/table. The bed was good, even as the linen.

Breakfast was good too, enough variation in cold and warm. Seen the many meetings outside the hotel, I actually have not used the restaurants in the hotel. Had once room service and that meal was good too.

When I need to make a remark, or actually two, it would be that the internet signal was not very strong for wireless. That could be improved. The other was that, when I had to leave for 2 nights Beijing, and returned, the whole checking-in procedure needed to be repeated again. One did not use any of the previous recorded data. But that happened to me in more places.

I certainly would use this hotel again (when next also an offer applies :-)

1 Thank WBastiaan
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I have stayed at the Renaissance Yu Garden many many times. Like the other Marriott properties I have stayed at in Shanghai, after my first few stays here, being Marriott Rewards Platinum level I am usually upgraded to a suite when I stay here.

Rooms and service: the rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. The service in the hotel, particularly the club lounge staff, is excellent! The higher floor rooms facing the river have excellent views of Yu Garden and the river. This is quite nice at night with all the lights.

Location: the hotel as you can guess from the name is right next to Yu Garden, and it is also next to the metro (line 10 Yu Garden station). Though line 10 is not the most convenient line for business travelers and tourist, it is still very close to the metro if you need to use. However, with the line transfers associated with taking the subway to other nearby points of interest like People's Square and XinTianDi, weather permitting I find it easier to walk. People's Square is only a 10-15 minute walk and XinTianDI is about a 20 minute walk.

The only negative I have to say about the hotel is there is a small part of the club lounge for smoking on the 18th floor just up some stairs from the main lounge area on the 17th (where people can eat and have drinks). I may be a little sensitive to this, but I hate smelling smoke anytime let alone when I am eating. I wish they could find a way to keep the smoke contained to the smoking area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank xmikex
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 8 March 2013

PROS: great service- almost everyone smiling and greeting you no matter who you are (this is a +1 rating all by itself), decent breakfast selection, spacious room, sufficient toiletries, excellent location by people's square, yu yuan, the bund, etc., they emailed me when I checked out to tell me that I left my belongings and I received it by mail really fast.

CONS: a/c too loud and it wasn't really heating up the room, wifi is a bit weak

I would stay here again for business. I hope the staff keeps up the good work : )

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank joyyciee
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2013

My partner and I stayed there for almost a month and we really enjoyed it. We had access to the executive lounge where they offered free food and drinks at all times and where you could enjoyed amazing views.
Actually cocktails were not flavoured, room services food was quite low in quality (I guess because they tried to cook western food without having too much idea about ingredients).
Since October 2012 the hotel opened an amazing roof top bar. I have not been but my partner has, in the winter, and we are expecting to go in the summer. If they have good bar tenders making good cocktails and good music, it'll be an amazing place to stay in the summer because the views are breath taking.

I miss being there, I love Shanghai.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple