“Good Location budget hotel”

Lakeside Holiday Inn
Ranked #1,637 of 5,138 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Dont expect a lot from this hotel. Place was not cleaned thourougly, carpet in the hallway is scary you can see the the dust at the top of the cabinet. Not much on breakfast either. But they are near Yangs fried dumplings which is delicious so you can have breakfast there. also on the plus side is, it is indeed budget friendly and its near the bund. so if you dont mind walking you can just walk going there. Also hot shower is working when we stayed there, so another plus since its almost winter when we stayed there. We also had to pay extra to store our luggage for 2 nights since we have to go to Xi'an but its no biggie since its not that expensive.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 July 2012

The best point is the location.
The hotel was on renovation in that time. The workers and materials movement used the same access way (elevator & stairs) with us. A lot of dust. The breakfast is very simple, don't hope too much. Fortunately, we spent a lot of time outside the hotel, just came back in the midnight for sleeping. I think, it's not the famous-holiday inn chain hotel we've already known before.
But if you're backpackers who just looking for the cheap accomodation during the night, it will be suitable for you.
And actually, the cheap price we got through internet reservation it's no reallly the promo (after comparing the room price list on the reservation desk). Prepare for the simple mandarin languange.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2012

To find the hotel which is next to the Suzhou Creek:

After my group tour of China, I stayed 2 extra nights in Shanghai and decided to go to a cheaper hotel as the one with the tour was expensive and faraway. I booked Lakeside Holiday Inn via Hotel Club so thought it should be reliable. So I checked out Rendezvous and asked concierge to get me taxi to this hotel. It took the concierge manager and taxi driver well over 15min yelling loudly in Shanghaiese & Mandarin, neither of them know of this hotel or the street name!! My google map printout and address written in both English and Chinese were useless. He even tried calling the hotel but the line was dead! I was so worried that I had booked a dodgy hotel that really does not exist!! in the end he told the taxi to move and went to the next taxi in the queue and thankfully this driver know the address! phew!

he took me to the Bund Riverside Hotel which the guy at the entrance then told the taxi driver to turn the corner and in 2 min finally my hotel is there! yay! so if your taxi driver doesn't know this Lakeside Holiday Inn Hotel, also try telling him to get you to the Bund Riverside.

Lobby/ Check in -
clean lobby, greeted by very friendly and efficient receptionist. She was very keen to learn English and wanted to chat for ages. She even wanted to come shopping with me so she can practice her English! Unfortunately her shift finish in the evening and i wanted to go as soon as i drop my bags.

Lifts -
my room was located at top floor (5th floor) with a lift its ok but beware sometimes the lift doesn't work. also there are few steps after lift to get to room. i don't know why the corridor is not flat. so if you can't carry your luggage maybe ask for lower level room. Room key is a swipe card which doesn't work half the time and walking 5 flights of stairs down to complain and then back up can be a pain!!

Room -
my room was very clean and large for one person. has 2 beds. TV. bottle of water. space to hang clothes. bathroom has shower no bath, clean modern glass panel. room has wooden floor no carpet which i like. room has big window overlook some other buildings. its airy and bright natural light. i was happy. you can pay extra for "river view" but i don't need it. You can see the river view in the lift corridor. or go downstairs outside the hotel cross the road.

Breakfast - i did not eat there. there is plenty of food outside so i didn't eat at hotel.

Location -
The location of this hotel is really excellent. It is 5-10min walk to the famous pedestrian only shopping mall of Nanjing Road. From there you can catch metro/subway/underground, or, walk another 5-10min you are at the famous BUND. or, walk the opposite direction instead, again just 5-10 min you are at the Peoples Square where Shanghai Planning Centre and Shanghai Museum is. SOOOOOO convenient. Lots of shopping, sightseeing and food everywhere. I never needed the taxi again. and didn't really need to use the underground either.

Summary - this is a CHEAP bargain find for me. I paid AUD 28 for a night with my own room with my own shower/toilet. a multi share backpacker place would have cost same or more. I was very happy for what i got at this rate. I also stayed at the luxury Rendevouz. So i know. what you get is what you pay for, this hotel is very reasonable.

Room Tip: choose low level room if you cannot carry your luggage and the lifts are not working always. pay ext...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank jetsetqueen54321
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We stayed in this hotel because of its distance from the underground and price and we got what we wanted. The hotel is situated facing the river and was difficult to find at first. Close by are some nice little shops and locals who cook on the street for you. It was a good base to see all that we wanted to see which we can’t complain about.

The service of the staff was lazy and not very helpful at all but it wasn’t too much of an issue as we had no questions for them. The rooms were ok and what we were expecting, seemed clean and tidy. We only stayed two nights so I can’t really comment on cleaning staff for service as we didn’t let them in.

If its luxury or you will be spending a lot of time in the hotel then my advice is that it's not for you. Overall this hotel seemed decent for the traveller staying for a few days, and good if you want to sample the culture, (jan2011) happy holidays.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vanillaaface
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I just live here for first day. This time is winter season but hot water in hotel cannot be used. We tried to call to hotel reception but they said only "bye bye" . Some staffs came to observed what happen but they said something in Chinese (they know that we cannot understand) and cannot do anything for the shower. Bad impression for first met. By the way, good point of this hotel is about location, just walk for 15 min, can be reached nanjing.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suapphong K
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We visited and stay in this hotel during the winter period. The hot water for showering in this hotel is sufficient for showering. The room is also well "isolated" from the coldness from the outside (but you have to wait for the air con to start up and the drawing of the curtain). The room is big enough for two baggage and should have no problem for a third one. I have stay there for 4 days and the white bath towel were always have stain on them. As for the breakfast, you can try the hotel breakfast but I recommend tying just one of the day. The design of the hotel is that there is 0.5 level to each floor. There is also a barrier free access to the slightly higher floor (0.5 level) just next to the staircase. There is no safe deposit box in the room and that its a distance walk to the station (East Nanjing Road station). To access exit 6 for the East Nanjing Road Station, you will need to be taking the train as will be unable to access exit no 6 without going through the gate. The hotel in near to the Bund (follow the river) and also near to one end of the Nanjing Road Pedestrian Street.

Room Tip: Chose the room with river view.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I stayed a week there, staff is rude. The main advantage is the price. Breakfast is chinese type, no coffee but there are cheap solutions outside nearby. Room was ok but not very comfortable.
If I have to come back to Shanghai, I would try to find another hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo