“Great hotel whit good prices.”

Mingtown Etour Youth Hostel
Ranked #12 of 348 Speciality Lodging in Shanghai
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Good hostel, whit good food and beer prices, only in the aircon bar beer is expensive.
Good rooms, no idea about the dorms. Good location, close to the subway. Verry helpfull staff....

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 November 2011

This was in a good location central to the main attractions and main street. There was a nice restaurant and bar.

We stayed in a dorm room for a few nights which was fine, all clean and no problems. Then moved to a private double for a few nights.

The hostel was modern and very nice! Good internet and a washing machine to do your own washing.
The staff were helpful and spoke good English.

Make sure you check out the fake market, 10 minutes walk from the hostel. IT IS AMAZING!!! Bargain HARD. Love love Shanghai!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Highly recommend this as a stop in Shanghai. We got the luxury room which was lovely and relatively cheap if you compare hotels in this location ,so close to the bund, metro and all the action. The young staff were excellent , knowledgeable and polite.

Room Tip: Luxury room was on a corner and very roomy , and a real double bed not two singles pushed together.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pam S
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Everything went great here. we booked a private twin with bathroom and we payed about 800 RMD for 3 nights, i.e. a great deal staying in Shanghai. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are clean and the food is tasty and cheap. If you order food at their restaurant for more than 100 RMB they give you a 20% reduction to the already cheap food. This is more than a hotel than a hostel and the athmosfere is nice here. We really recommed this hostel!!

Room Tip: Book good time in advance 'cause this hostel is very popular
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I again loved my stay at this hostel. I was back for the second time. It makes a great base for outtings around Shanghai and the Marriott next door is a great landmark for cabs or orienting yourself on foot.

The rooms were still charming, with interesting furniture. The bar area makes a nice place to meet people, although I still haven't quite figured out when you can order what. There are a lot of drinks that become unavailable once the kitchen closes. There is still a friendly cat lazing about, ready to be pet.

I went down to "Very Good" from "Excellent" for two reasons:
1. They cannot get their keys to work the first time! (or the second time). This happened at my first visit (a year ago now) and happened again this time. Be ready to return to the front desk to get your key re-coded. There were three other people checking in within 5/10 minutes of me and we all had to go back to the desk multiple times.
2. Due to my travels since last August (and the fact that my pocket book isn't quite so tight now), the bathrooms bothered me this time. I paid for two people in a double room (although it is just me) to have it private. This means I share a bathroom with two other rooms. The sink is in the open, with the toilet behind a door to one side and the shower behind a door to the other. This is great so you can brush your teeth even if the strangers in the other rooms are using the other facilities. It is not so great when you want somewhere to put your stuff while showering (you have to have it in the shower with you and hope it doesn't get wet between the curtain and the door). I'm now to a point where I'd be willing to pay a little more and have my own bathroom.

Still, a charming hostel in an un-beatable location. I love it and the area, and I'll likely stay there again if I ever make it back to Shanghai again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank hope42morrow
Reviewed 7 August 2011

This hostel by all appearances is very nice, of not one the most charming in feel and decoration. The rooms are spotless, the entire place is well run, the front desk tries hard to please and help.

The downfall is the bar and the younger set partying hard and then throwing up/ getting sick and just being foul. I guess if your in college this is not a biggie, but for an adult beyond those years, its really ashame, as the rooms and overall feel there is great. Loud music from the bar plays until after midnight as well, add to this everyone cutting up and partying, its really not a place for a good nights rest and relaxation. Mornings are peaceful. Internet was good.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank solohobo
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hostel for 3 nights last month. The location was good, and the area around the bar was beautiful! We ate breakfast in the bar every morning we were there, and it was decent enough. The drinks they sell in the lobby are cheap, and there were also several stores on the street that sold similar items and snacks.

The check-in process was extremely slow. We waited in line to check in for an hour, and we were only behind two people! When we got to our room (private double), we were really disappointed to see that we would be sharing a bathroom with another room. The booking system had made it seem like we would have a private bathroom, but the guy working at the front desk had said that only their twin rooms had private bathrooms, and there were none available for us to switch to. I will take responsibility for not asking more questions when I was booking my room, but I wanted to mention this in my review so others are aware when they book their rooms in the future.

The front desk staff weren't particularly friendly or helpful. One of the staff suggested going to the train station and catching a bus to one of the water towns, so we followed his advice. When we got there, we found out that there were no buses going to Tongli, and we spent hours running around town trying to figure out how to get there. I wish we had booked a day trip instead of trying to get there on our own, or at least double-checked the directions online before we headed out.

The room was very clean and had it's own tv and a/c unit. The a/c took about 20 minutes to begin cooling once it was turned on, but we were very happy with how cool it kept the room since the weather outside was very hot and humid. Our room had a window that faced onto an alley which was quite loud in the early morning hours, but we had brought our own earplugs and were able to sleep through the noise. We were unlucky to have a noisy and messy neighbor sharing our bathroom, but otherwise, the bathroom facilities were good.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple