“Great for a longer stay or for a family”

Shanghai Ever Sunshine Hotel
Ranked #577 of 5,082 Hotels in Shanghai
Alberta
“Great for a longer stay or for a family”
Reviewed 20 April 2010

I stayed here for one night on my way home from a business trip. I stayed there because I wanted the opportunity to visit with a friend who is living there while on a long term assignment in Shanghai. It is tucked back from a main street, making it very quiet. And the concierge, front desk and housekeeping staff were all super. More English speaking staff at this hotel than I have encountered at any hotel in Shanghai, including some with 5 stars.

The rooms are two storey affairs, making it feel like a little townhouse. It has a full kitchen, complete with stove, microwave and fridge. It also has a pull-out sofa bed in the living room and small storage room under the stairs. There is a internet connection both upstairs and down. The living room had a flat screen TV, but the upstairs had an older model.

The rooms were VERY clean and did not have that musty smell so common in China.

The bathroom was tiny but nice. Just a shower; no tub - which is my preference anyway.

The bedroom had a Queen bed and it was more comfortable than many I have slept on in China. Nice closet, too..

A couple of quirks arose, but staff were very helpful in helping me. For instance, you have to turn the hot water on down in the kitchen. You have to turn a switch on to make the plug work in the bathroom; and the hairdryer is to be found in the dresser drawer in the bedroom.

In Shanghai, I prefer my hotel to be near a Subway station. In fact, I think that access to public transit should be one of the things listed on the features section for hotels on Trip Advisor. Cabs are not all that expensive in Shanghai, but I like using the Subway. I was told that it was a 10 minute walk to the Subway. Try 20 - 25 minutes. That would be more like it.

We took a taxi to Xintiandi for 20RMB and to the Science & Technology Museum for about the same.

Free internet - a rarity in Shanghai - and breakfast was included in my room rate. It was not the worst breakfast I have had in Shanghai. If you want a Western-style breakfast, do go down to the dining room. Otherwise, ask the concierge where you can find an inexpensive Chinese-style breakfast. I was travelling with a finicky co-worker, so we ate breakfast at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 15 March 2010

My travel agency booked this hotel for me at RMB680/night, with extra internet cost RMB40/day. But when I checked in, they don't have reservation in my name! The staff didn't try to find it out, but kept asking me the name of the travel agency guy! How do I know? Spent 5 mins on the counter, they finally confirmed my booking with someone he talked in phone.... But they can't find my internet payment and request me to pay it when I check out... I double checked with my travel agency and he helped me to solve it... Real poor record they have!! During my stay, most of the concierge staff I met were not friendly nor willing to help. I think they will be more friendly if I speak English.

Room is modern and clean, though the living room is much smaller than I expected. The door lock is a card senser. There is a electronic water temperature setting at the kitchen. But, before u take shower, make sure the setting is on (it was turned off at midnight on the first night! strange...) Bed is comfortable. There are 50 TV channels, but only a few in English.

The stairs are wide enough for walking, I didn't feel dangerous when I walk on it. But it's quite trouble to walk up and down, so I mostly stayed in the bedroom during my stay.

Breakfast time ends at 9:30am on weekdays which is too early! So I didn't have breakfast there at all....

Sorry that I didn't use any facilities so I can't give any comment.

Location is nice! RMB23 taxi from LunYangLu Meglev station, RMB19 taxi to Pudong Exhibition Center. Very close to Puxi, only RMB35 to XinTianDi. But this hotel is not famous, and the entrance is hidden between 2 buildings, with a dark blue hotel name lighting in Chinese at the entrance only, so all the taxi drivers I met didn't know this place. Tell them, "PuDong Nan Lu (South Pudong Road 浦東南路) and Weifang Lu (濰坊路), on PuDong Nan Lu, opposite to the coffee shop, next to a sauna center. It's better to print out a very clear map to show the taxi driver.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 February 2010

This was a one-night stay in a hotel designed for short-term stays of several days to weeks. There is a combination kitchen/living room on the entrance floor, then modern wooden plank stairs up to the second level with bedroom and bath. All rooms appear a bit cramped, but the design works.

The kitchen area has a spacious refrigerator (not mini-bar sized), two gas burners, a Chinese-style dishwasher (still haven't figured them out yet), sink and microwave. So you can cook your own meals if you go to the effort.

The living area has a sofa bed for additional sleeping space and a TV. The very small balcony has a great view of the Shanghai World Financial Center, Jin Mao Building, and through the haze, the Oriental Pearl Tower.

Upstairs were two twin beds squeezed into the bedroom with center night table and television. There was room to open a suitcase or two. The bath was average sized with nice walk-in shower. The heat lamps in the shower stall are appreciated on a cool morning.

There is a breakfast room with a pretty average breakfast buffet. It was appealing to both Chinese and western tastes.

The staff was attentive and friendly. The very firm mattress needed an extra quilt or two under the bottom sheet to create the faux pillow-top effect to let my bones rest. The check-out was smooth and uneventful, and the bellhops and doormen were eager to serve. Taxis were obtained in just a couple of minutes, even though the hotel entrance is completely hidden from the street, situated at the southwest corner of So. Pudong and Weifang Roads. You have to walk back alley driveways on either street to find the front door and lobby.

I like this Pudong location for the variety of close-by restaurants, the common middle-class dinner spots featuring regional cuisines, not the tourist expense-account places that re-interpret already fine Chinese cuisines. You have a 10-15 minute walk to the Century Avenue subway hub of Lines 2, 4 and 6, taking you most anywhere in the city.

I would not rank this as a top value, but it is usually priced slightly below its equivalent competition in the area. If I were staying three to seven nights, I would seriously consider returning here in the future, depending on the value comparison with other nice, clean Pudong properties.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
thailand
Reviewed 13 December 2009

The room were clean and tidy. The location of the hotel is quite ok an convinience. The staff very helpful and warm welcome us. The restaurant is quite ok. This hotel is good for short term stay.
The hotel also have nice design and nice view

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple