“Elegant and quiet hotel in the middle of busy city”

URBN Boutique Shanghai
Ranked #36 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Los Angeles, California
“Elegant and quiet hotel in the middle of busy city”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Located in the middle of noisy busy downtown Shanghai, URBN is truly a hidden gem of a hotel. The moment you step in, the courtyard (framed by pine trees and ivy vines) will bring much need quietness and peace. It's as though you have just stepped into another world.

The rooms, though small in scale compared to other 5-star hotels such as JW Marriott, are elegant in design and use the space ingeniously. Though I'd like to have more bathroom space.

The food is entirely western, neo-American to be precise with Asian elements. Personally I loved the fact that breakfast (complimentary) was not a buffet, but rather individual items. It makes me feel like I'm having a meal, not just eating food. Greek yogurt with honey was so simple and yet so delicious (as most good things are in life)!

Because there are less than 30 rooms, the staff really know the guests personally. From arranging car services to shipping materials to booking train tickets to arranging private city tours, there isn't anything that they can't seem to do.

Room Tip: A view of the garden is worth the price.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
URBNhotels, Guest Relations Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. We are delighted to hear your stay with us was everything you hoped for. It is great to hear you enjoyed our restaurant; we have recently unveiled our winter menu. Chef Siobhan is constantly updating the menu to incorporate seasonal and fresh local ingredients. Be sure to drop by soon and see what's new!

URBN Hotels Shanghai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tianjin, China
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Overall our stay in URBN Hotel was fantastic! The hotel blends seamlessly into its surroundings, its atmosphere is rich and soothing, and its decor oozes simplicity and quality,

The studio room was gorgeous, perfect for a couple coming into Shanghai for a romantic weekend getaway. The room was well stocked with amenities, ipod music dock, dvd player, wifi, and all the other small details you would expect from a boutique hotel of this quality. The location of each studio room, between floors, makes for a secluded, quiet and very private room, perfect for couples.

There were only two small things that detracted from our stay. Firstly, the hotel has ZERO parking of its own, which is a little inconvenient for those guests driving into Shanghai. That said there is inexpensive parking available only a 5 minute walk away. Secondly, when we arrived it would have been nice to have been informed about the URBN Lounge, free drinks and canapés for in-house guests, from 5pm - 7pm in the downstairs. It was only by luck that we happened upon this great offer. While there was a little bit of confusion when we first arrived in the lounge, over a free drink coupon we had been given at reception. We were quickly assisted by a lovely and very helpful young lady, of Chinese decent, from Panama, who took matters into hand and had us seated and enjoying ourselves in no time at all. She also went out of her way to get the name and address of a restaurant/ bar that we would be meeting a group of friends later in the evening. Delightfully responsive and friendly, I do hope her energy and proactive nature rubs off on the other local staff, who were quite average for a property of this quality.

All said, our stay in URBN Hotel was great, and I will recommend it to all my friends who are looking for a unique hotel experience in Shanghai.

Room Tip: Studio suites are the way to go! Multi-level, intimate and private, you might have problems leaving...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gotopinion
URBNhotels, Guest Relations Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. It's great to hear you had an amazing stay with us and that we were able to live up to your expectations. We apologize for the confusion regarding the location of our URBN Lounge, as we were in the process of relocating the venue. Now, all our privileged in-house guests can enjoy complimentary drinks and snacks at our fabulous Downstairs with David Laris Restaurant VIP section daily from 5-7pm. See you there!

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I currently live in Shanghai and I stayed at URBN Hotels with my parents when they came over for a visit. I usually don't write reviews about Hotels because there are already a lot of them online, but after my stay at URBN I thought that it was too good for not writing a review. I want to share this fabulous stay: After entering the gigantic gate of URBN Hotels you don't feel like entering a hotel, but entering your home with the service of a 5 star hotel. Where else does the Guest Experience Manager write you a personal name card? Where else does the staff recognize your face and even greet you by name? I took my parents around the whole city and we always returned to the hotel extremely exhausted, but as soon as you're back in the peaceful courtyard, you're immediately recharged. And one more thing: The best way to start your day is with a breakfast in the garden. It was so relaxing sitting outside with the sun tickling your face and enjoying the totally fresh food served by smiling waiters and waitresses. And it's not even that this would be it: You can help the environment by staying at this awesome place. As Guest Experience Manager Jonathan Ma explained it, URBN Hotels is the first carbon-neutral hotel and everything is related to a good environment. He explained us that they have double-pane windows in all the rooms, they have a special AC-system, they pay for an environment project to compensate their emission and pollution, they plant a tree for hotel guests, most of the food in the restaurant is organic to avoid transportation pollution and the hotel is built with local materials.
Staying at URBN Hotels really made me feel great as it is enormously important to support such a concept especially in the developing country of China.

To sum it up: Unique concept, outstanding service, chic & comfortable rooms (as there are just two beds in a room and I stayed with my parents, I slept on the couch - and even the couch was almost more comfortable than my bed at home, not talking about the beds that felt like heaven), great location & an unforgettable experience.
I recognized that I'm not the only one who appreciates all this when I read an article online that even VIPs like the ex-NBA player Yao Ming, British billionaire Sir Richard Branson, F1-driver Mika Häkkinen or world-famous actress Jessica Alba visited URBN Hotels.

A place that I can recommend more than anything I had ever recommended.

PS: They even offer complimentary bicycles at the Hotel, which is the best way to experience a city.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank FabianCT
URBNhotels, Guest Relations Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. Our entire hotel was thrilled to read your extensive review of URBN: you offered nothing but positive comments about your stay and for that, we are grateful and proud to have had you as our guest. We are delighted to hear you were able to take advantage of our complimentary hotel bicycles, a great way to see Shanghai! The URBN staff has the privilege of enjoying the peacefulness of our premises and we hope that more people can experience URBN's tranquility by staying with us. Thank you again for your kind words.

Frauenfeld, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Pleasant setting and very friendly, helpful staff (all speaking English). Makes you instantly feel at home. We especially appreciated to be greeted with a few goodies in our room and a personal note of guest experience manager Jonathan Ma on arrival. A sympathetic yet modern and high-class alternative to the grand hotels in the big glass and steel towers!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the personal note I wrote to you as well as the added in-room treats. The advantage of running a small operation like URBN is that we can offer much more personalized service for each individual guest. Our ability to implement and successfully execute this is why we are That's Shanghai's Best Boutique Hotel winner in 2011.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 October 2011

While the positive press around URBN as China's first carbon-neutral hotel should be noted, it is this admirable title coupled with it's perfomance as a first-rate boutique hotel that truly sets URBN apart from the pack. The hotel caters perfectly to the international traveler and Shanghai first-timer, but would offer great value and a comfortable stay for any traveler.

URBN is an arbiter of cool with impressive attention to every last detail, from the antique suitcases from shops around the city that comprise the wall behind the reception desk to the bricks from re-posessed houses in the French Concession. The rooms are sleek and cozy.

The URBN experience perfectly captures Shanghai's moment as a budding world city making a statement. By staying here, you feel as though you are taking full advantage of all the amazing things Shanghai currently has to offer. Although truthfully, it would be easy to take a much more relaxed approach by staying put and enjoying all the fabulous amenities and service within the hotel- from the in-room massage to the rooftop lounge.

The service is top-notch, with a friendly, knowledgeable and helpful front desk staff, and a Guest Experience Manager who knows what his clientele is looking for with their Shanghai stay.

As a New Yorker with a love of travel, I believe URBN is a trailblazer in perfectly combining sustainable operation with the syle, comfort, and vibe that the international traveler seeks. But don't take my word for it- see for yourself!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. We are pleased to see you appreciate the little details that makes URBN, well, URBN. As a true boutique hotel that emphasizes personal service with all our guests, we are always striving to improve. From the second you walk through our gates to when you check out, we take the extra steps to assure you will be taken care of with our world-class service. See you soon!

Hong Kong
Reviewed 20 October 2011

The hotel is clean, great decor, fantastic breakfast in outdoor courtyard, great restaurant and cocktails. Reasonably central we had to get taxi to Bund but not that far. Staff were super helpful, paricularly Jonothan the manager helping us with recommendations and transport. would definitely stay there again

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel and thank you for your kind words, we are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Although we are not situated by the Bund, a short taxi ride can get you over there, where you can see the sights and enjoy the touristy attractions. Afterward, you can return to the peacefulness of Jing'An district where you can soak in relaxation, away from bustling Shanghai. We hope to see you again soon!

Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I wanted to surprise my girlfriend for her birthday by getting us the best room at the best hotel in Shanghai. Living in California, USA and never setting foot in China made searching for a hotel and trying to figure out a surprise for my girlfriend from 6,000+ miles away a fun and exciting challenge. After plenty of research on sites such as Expedia and Trip Advisor, I came upon URBN Hotels. When looking for a hotel I often consider the following: design, positive reviews from previous travelers, location, comfort, price and service. URBN definitely had all the qualities I was looking for in a hotel.

I had originally planned to stay at URBN for two nights in the Courtyard Suite, which has it's own private jacuzzi room. We ended up staying for a total of seven nights and stayed in three different rooms during our visit: The Garden View, Penthouse Suite and Courtyard Suite. All the rooms were well designed and comfortable and had everything you needed to feel right at home. Priced considerably lower and was smaller than the Courtyard Suite and the Penthouse Suite, the Garden View ended up being our favorite room. The sunken lounge area and tub out in the open added a nice touch to the room. By the way the tub is perfect for bubble baths. Make sure you know how to say bubble bath in Chinese (Pao Pao Yu) so you can inform the front desk to send it to your room. I highly recommend this room for someone who is looking to get the most for their money. My girlfriend and I were completely satisfied.

Aside from the comfortable and well designed rooms, the service at URBN is hands down one of the best I have ever experienced from a hotel. There had been a slight problem when I made my original booking through Expedia.com, however, Guest Service Manager, Jonathan Ma went over the top and did everything he could to resolve the problem and made sure I was happy and completely satisfied in the end. Jonathan had also helped us out on numerous occasions: from recommending restaurants to booking our cooking class for my girlfriend's birthday (which I highly recommend). Jonathan also came huge when he helped us find a hotel when we traveled to Beijing. Our original hotel we booked in Beijing did not have the specific room we had requested. So we wanted to stay elsewhere. We had very little internet access so it was difficult for us research various hotels for us in Beijing. We ended up contacting Jonathan and he helped make a recommendation and reserved the room to ensure it was available for us when we got there. We were really impressed by his over the top service and could not be more thankful for what he had done.

Breakfast at their restaurant "Downstairs," was included when we booked our rooms at URBN. We fell in love with their roasted tomato panini, wild mushroom panini and cheese plate. Definitely eat their breakfast. You will be completely satisfied and happy to wake up and start the day. Breakfast is available for guests from 6:30 AM- 11 AM.

I highly recommend URBN. Located in the Jing'An district, the hotel was in a very convenient location and was just a couple blocks away from a metro station line 2 and in an area near many shops, malls and restaurants.

I look forward to my next visit.

Thank you URBN Team!!!

Room Tip: "if you're choosing a suite, I highly recommend the Penthouse suite over the Courtyard Suit...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
URBNhotels, Guest Relations Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. We were ecstatic when we first heard that you wanted to surprise your girlfriend with an amazing time at our hotel, thank you for choosing URBN! We get many special requests from guests and eagerly work to make their stay with us as memorable as possible. From weddings and birthdays to just a relaxing weekend with your significant other, let URBN take care of everything; we will leave you to enjoy the relaxed, personal service URBN is known for. See you soon!