“A hidden sanctuary”

URBN Boutique Shanghai
Ranked #21 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We visited Shanghai at the beginning of January 2012, and spent a couple of nights in this hotel.

WOW. That about sums it up! It's on a really old school street, full of tiny family run shops were the families live in the stores. You enter through a set of classy but almost hidden wooden doors, and find yourself in the courtyard. The street noise almost stops, and you could be on a beach resort in the Maldives at this point, it's so relaxing.

The hotel itself looks and 'feels' amazing, the decor is cutting edge cool and the staff could not be nicer. It's also apparently carbon neutral, which is quite a big deal, especially in China.

We ate in the Brasserie at a table overlooking the courtyard, a truly first class experience. The quality of the food matched the surroundings.

I loved my time in the city (been before) and can't wait to hit this hotel when I go back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BaxterFlyer
URBNhotels, Guest Relations Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. The location of the hotel is great since we are so close to Jing’an Temple, yet situated on a road that provides a quiet and relaxing atmosphere. Our whole hotel centers on being carbon-neutral without sacrificing any of the experience of staying at a boutique hotel. We hope to see you when you’re back in Shanghai!

Reviewed 15 January 2012

Would not been able to find it if it wasn't for a friend help. Room was large and comfortable, very modern.

If there are any complaints would be the floor room was not all one level. This was very cool looking and in the daytime very chic and I loved it however I found that at night, when you are sleepy, jet lagged and in an unfamiliar room, could kill yourself.

The lounge selection was great and it was truly comfortable atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo

Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. Our rooms all emphasize sustainability while at the same time being highly modern. The layout of the room is unique, but it contributes greatly to the experience of the stay. We hope to see you at URBN soon!

Reviewed 23 December 2011

On the way to URBN Hotel, I thought the taxi driver was a bit lost. I knew we were close to Nan Jing Lu, the main shopping street in Shanghai, but it felt like we were in a run down neighborhood. But once I stepped through the main door, what greeted me was more than I could ever expect.

URBN Hotel is indeed a very very chic and cool hotel. I love the old leather luggages stacked to form a wall. The rooms are very funky too. Very well designed hotel.

The service is not what you would typically expect from a hotel in China. The staff were friendly, and spoke good English.

Will definitely recommend it to anyone. It is a true gem in Shanghai.

Room Tip: They have a rooftop suite with a balcony on the roof. Fantastic.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
URBNhotels, Guest Relations Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2012

Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. We intentionally keep our entrance hidden, it is always a pleasure to see people's expressions light up when they walk into our peaceful courtyard, unaware that what they just found is China's first carbon-neural hotel. Jing'An district is a pretty popular area for those tired of the old French Concession, but one would not notice from the quietness that exudes from URBN. Combine that with fantastic rooms and top-notch service and you have one of the best boutique hotels in the world. We hope to see you back with us soon!

Reviewed 19 December 2011

A friend who has often traveled in China told me that his most important advice was to book a high quality hotel. He was right. After twenty hours of travel time, a half hour while our plane circled before landing, waiting in long lines in an airless airport, and a heart-stopping taxi ride through Shanghai on a sweltering July day, we arrived, completely spent, at URBN. We were immediately glad we had chosen it for our first two nights in China. URBN truly is an "oasis" in the middle of Shanghai, and one feels a sense of peace simply walking past the small grove of bamboo at its entrance.

URBN boasts that it is the only carbon neutral hotel in Shanghai. Most of the hotel is made of recycled materials, including a stunning wall built from stacks of well-oiled vintage leather suitcases behind the front desk, hallway walls made from reclaimed grey brick from Shanghai’s French Concession area, a clever display of old woks and gentle lighting built into a wall of the restaurant, and key card electronic controls that turn off all the lights when you leave your room. Soon after our arrival, a hotel staff member arrived at the door bearing fresh orange juice and two buttery Madeleines. Perfect.

Our garden view room overlooked the minimalist bamboo garden at the entrance. In addition to a soaking tub and huge slate and teak shower, our room included a generous sunken living area surrounded by contemporary couches, and two perfect reading lights on the bed. There are several levels in the room, and I quickly realized I would need to be careful to turn on a light in the middle of the night.

After reviving ourselves, we headed to the 4th floor bar for happy hour, where we were greeted by URBN's Manager Jonathan Ma, who was born in the U.S. and later moved to Shanghai. Jonathan helped us successfully use our international phone and answered our questions about Shanghai as we sipped wine and enjoyed the comfortable bar.

On Sunday morning, we had brunch at the URBN. It is definitely a hotspot for an eclectic international crowd including chic young Chinese families, so a great spot to people-watch. The food is international, fresh, and delicious.

We felt welcome and comfortable at URBN. The beds are superb and the rooms quiet. The staff is friendly and kind. After traveling around China for two weeks with our son, we intentionally chose to return to URBN again at the end of our trip, the night before we flew out of Shanghai for home. Jonathan and the rest of the staff greeted us like old friends. URBN is a gem and an unforgettable place that I wholeheartedly recommend to other travelers seeking comfort in the middle of bustling Shanghai.

Room Tip: We loved our room overlooking the garden entrance.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. We read your review to the entire hotel staff and everyone was thrilled by every compliment you gave us. It was truly an honor to take care of you and your family both times you stayed with us last month. Please do not hesitate to contact me if your travel plans bring you back to Shanghai, we would love to accommodate you once again. Thank you from all of us at URBN Hotel and all the best to you in 2012!

Reviewed 16 December 2011

I stayed in an atrium room for one night during a quick trip to Shanghai for a business meeting. Super-relaxing atmosphere and perfect low-key space to unwind before heading off to another Chinese city. The bathroom/shower in the atrium rooms was fantastic.
I don't speak any Chinese dialects, and it was very easy to ask questions of all of the staff.
Evening snacks and morning breakfast at Downstairs were complimentary (or included in my rate, not sure) and very tasty.
The location is a short walk (5 minutes?) from the Jing'an Temple stop of the subway which means it was direct and less than an hour door to door from/to Hongqiao airport.
I'll be back, as it feels more like a home than the high rise chains.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
URBNhotels, Guest Relations Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. Many of our guests are overseas travelers with little or no Chinese language skills, so we make sure our agents can assist both our English and Chinese-speaking guests. It is great to hear you took advantage of our URBN Lounge happy hour, where selected drinks and made-to-order snacks are complimentary for all in-house guests daily from 5pm-7pm, as well as a delicious breakfast to start the day. We hope to see you back with us soon!

Reviewed 13 December 2011

I can't really write this review as I would any other because I have such an intimate relationship with this property and the people who work there.

What was originally to be a three week stay for work ended up being almost two months and so I had the honor and pleasure to call the URBN my home during the time I lived and worked in Shanghai. Leaving the property at the end of the stay and even more saying goodbye to the staff was something I never expected to be quite as difficult as it was. As I drove away in a crazy Shanghai Taxi and looked back at the minimal modern entrance to the hotel and courtyard I seriously almost held back tears. I felt like I was leaving home. The URBN is a magical place staffed by incredibly devoted professionals. It is a place with deep heart and soul and some of the loveliest people you will ever meet in the hospitality industry.

Behind the romantic wooden facade, off a quaint residential and commercial street in Jing'An, you will find the URBN secretly tucked away in a beautiful courtyard lined by tall standing pines and bamboo. The scale of the property is instantly familiar and "knowable" and yet its orientation to the street never allows you to understand entirely what lies within. The common areas, restaurant, and rooms are all unique modern asian designs with inventive uses of recycled materials, so if you are a designey person you will really love it. One elevator, four floors, quiet understated sophistication - there is truly no other place like it in Shanghai. I stayed in my room for almost eight weeks and loved every moment. The design was perfect and minimal with luxurious bedding and nice solid platform beds. Every night a turndown and refreshed water and bits of chocolate... It was like Mom had visited my room. Absolutely any request was honored quickly and pleasantly. They will bend over backwards to get you what you want.

But let's face it, nothing cements the relationship more than incredible food and drink, and the URBN does not disappoint. This is a significant feature and quite frankly, one I feel is understated. The irish-born chef, Siobhan Gough, is perhaps one of the most talented chefs in Shanghai today. She serves up seasonal fare inspired by her personal heritage and often displaying quirky ideas which just work effortlessly. The combinations are inventive and complex, but served up very homestyle and in basic dishes so you never feel too put out by pomp and circumstance. If anything this fanfare is saved for her desserts which look fancier and also are quite exquisite. I can not say enough about Siobhan's cooking.

Fergus the restaurant manager is also a complete professional and a fine gentleman making sure every client is treated professionally and fairly. I have been a fly on the wall at many of his pre-dinner preparatory sessions with the servers and his passion for the daily fare is magnetic and motivating. Diana and Estrella as maitre-ds will exceed their physical beauty with their prompt professionalism and their attention to detail every time.These are people who take what they do seriously and want you to have an amazing meal. It means alot if you love to eat.

And the food is not to be outdone by the cocktails. They will give you a little cocktail book upon sitting and just reading it is a process of exploration. Many odd items are combined in the different drinks and Ricky the bartender is a GREAT drink-maker. The guys behind the bar are serious and they desire to get better. It's motivating and tasty to be there. Ricky's special Manhattan, or the cosmo with the Kefir lime are drinks I will remember for years to come.

Do I think every person will have the same experience I did? No - probably not, in the sense that I was there so long that it bred familiarity and I was able to know who these people were and what made them tick. But if a guest has one fraction of the pleasure of my stay, it probably far outshines anything they would have in Shanghai at a comparably sized hotel and maybe even in comparison to the bigger properties all around in Jing'an. The intimacy was what I wanted and I got it. So if you want it you can get it too. be polite and share yourself with everyone and the URBN will let you leave with a smile on your face.

What I left with was love.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank austxmtp

Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. We were delighted to have you staying with us for almost two months, it was like having a close friend visiting us from abroad, whom we knew very well. It was sad to see you leave, but we hope that you will be back soon so we can take care of you again. We try to make URBN a home away from home for all our guests, especially long-staying ones like yourself. We are very happy to hear we succeeded. There will always be a nice warm meal waiting for you upon your return.

Reviewed 30 November 2011

One of the things that I like about traveling is to stay in hotels in residential neighborhoods of cities - I enjoy smelling, tasting and seeing what the locals do as soon as I leave the doors of my hotel. Staying at URBN is no different. The front desk managers were helpful and cheerful as was my Tai-chi instructor whose lesson the hotel guest experience manager arranged for me to take on the rooftop of the hotel. The outdoor garden is a treat to have breakfast in; it almost takes one away from fact of being in the center of Shanghai and the garden view hotel room was spacious. I highly recommend it if one also has time to relax as well as eat, shop and sightsee!

Room Tip: Ask for the garden view room - plenty of closet and storage space and sunken sitting area by the win...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Greetings from URBN Hotels Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a review of our hotel. Not many of our guests know about our rooftop bar, the ideal spot to take one of our fabulous URBN Connect Program activities like Tai-Chi class. It is a great way to get the blood flowing in the morning, while enjoying the Shanghai skyline. Thank you again and see you back at URBN soon!