“Great Service, Friendly Staff”

URBN Boutique Shanghai
Ranked #48 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Spent an evening with a big group at the URBN hotel and was extremely impressed by the quality and capabilities of the staff. Food was great - fresh and clean, and our group was treated very attentively. Most of all, it is a beautiful hotel- relax in the outdoor terrace area surrounded by bamboo and gorgeous trees. A small sanctuary in the middle of the big city!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
URBN_GM, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Chris:

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! Lan, Samson, and the entire F&B team here at the URBN are thrilled to hear you enjoyed yourself at your event.

I hope you will come visit again soon!

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Inconspicuously located on pleasant Jiaozhou Road in the central Jing’an neighborhood, the URBN Hotel is a near-perfect refuge from the intoxicating but at times overwhelming bustle of Shanghai. The URBN is becoming more well known because of its commendable practices of sustainability, its beautiful architecture (which uses recycled materials and items in a sophisticated and kitsch-less environment), the quality of its restaurant, and the successfully unique layout of the rooms, which are a pleasure to return to. The only minor issue with our room was that the air-conditioning was a bit uneven, but somewhat understandable given that Shanghai was undergoing a once-in-decades heat wave while we were there. The lobby and common areas were cool, welcoming, and full of design-interest.

The staff at the URBN were friendly, professional, good-natured and helpful. Everyone was nice, but I’ll make a special mention of Clark, who consistently helped us, answered our questions, and offered great historical stories about Shanghai and the neighborhood.

The Jing’an subway stop is nearby, only a five-ten minute walk, and you can even walk to the Former French Concession in about fifteen or twenty minutes. In fact, you can walk underground through posh shopping areas for much of the way, emerging right at the Yan’an elevated road.

The URBN is a boutique hotel, so it will have prices in that category, but not particularly onerous for Shanghai. I found it a special place, and while everyone has different ideas about what a special place might mean, I thought that it was clearly worth it. So if you’re able, offer yourself the treat of staying at the URBN, which may encourage other hotels in the city to move in the direction of sustainability.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Guozijian
URBN_GM, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Dear Guozijian:

Thank you so much for your taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your stay with us! Besides giving us very very kind feedback on our service and design, I'd like to thank you for pointing out Clark, our Front Desk Captain. He's absolutely wonderful.

You obviously explored an impressive amount of Shanghai during your stay! I hope we can see you return in the future (Shanghai is a very very big city with a never ending supply of fun things to do!!).

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I've stayed at URBN Hotel 3 or 4 times for work related trips to Shanghai over the past year. It was originally a post office, so is quite spacious and has been converted to a hotel using recycled bricks and wood, which gives it a nice homey look.

Check-in is good and I've found the staff friendly and they speak good English. They've been helpful with reservations and finding things in Shanghai. The entrance is a bit dark at nighttime and they should probably illuminate the name for first-time guests. Rooms are very spacious with a good bed and shower.

The breakfast is very good and the courtyard is great for eating or drinks; it is a nice treat in Shanghai. The food is quite tasty, though evening service can be a bit slow. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms in the front as they are nice and bright and you can see trees.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Darren:

Thank you for the review! The staff will especially appreciate your feedback on their performance.

I hope you will continue to stay with us for all your future business (and hopefully vacation) trips in Shanghai!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Large rooms in à king of japanese style
Shower ans bath perfect
And nice Small garden to get breakfast lunch or dinner
Only the Tv system all in chinese need improvment
Restaurant is good
Bar on first floor is great too
Only the breakfast can havé mioe suggestions
À small plus for the roof terrasse bar and lounge really cool

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank friedmann p
URBN_GM, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Mr. Friedmann:

Thank you for your review of your stay with us, both here online, and for your in-room comment card! It means a lot to the staff to receive feedback from our guests, as it allows us to communicate and brainstorm on ways to improve, as well as recognize positive hotel performance! Thank you very much!

I apologize for your experience with our television. We are in the midst of planning a drastic technology upgrade in the coming months. I feel confident that you will find yourself very satisfied with our television selection upon a return trip!

As for the selection in the restaurant, we will also be upgrading our kitchen this Fall, and during that time, we will be planning a brand new menu that will include a new breakfast selection.

Very exciting things happening at the URBN! I hope to see you here with us again soon!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Just had a dinner party there last night, good food and experienced restaurant staff service.
A nice eco place, with decent appearance not like else eco place look odd to me.
All party person like the design style and would like get back themselves having a drink, a dinner or an afternoon tea.
As an event organizer, helpful & experienced staff offered me a pleasant experience as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
URBN_GM, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Dear Chris:

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about your experience at Downstairs with David Laris! Please look out for us in the future, as well are planning for a new fall menu in the coming weeks!

Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in the future.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have traveled to China a few times now and was turned onto this hotel by a friend. I was very impressed. The service was excellent, to say nothing of the accommodations. People were friendly and extremely helpful. I speak no Chinese and they were able to more than make up for that with excellent English. The rooms were so beautiful. After a day in meetings and out in the busy, draining atmosphere of the city, it was like coming to a peaceful oasis. I have stayed in hotels all over the world both “budget” and “luxury” and URBN is in my top-five choices. People, atmosphere and extra touches all made me feel like I was having an authentic Asian experience with the comforts that I don’t want to leave behind from home.

Room Tip: higher floors have beautiful views
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
URBN_GM, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear Angela:

Thank you so much for your review! I'm so glad you had a comfortable stay with us. We strive to offer our guests a place to relax amidst the hustle and bustle of the city, and I'm very happy to hear that you were able to have just that kind of experience.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you in the future. I hope to see you back with us very soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Spunky oasis of reclaimed and natural materials. Quiet and open-plan rooms with stone tubs. Lighting design near bath area needs some more attention - a bit mysterious as of now. Go for courtyard view rooms. very helpful staff. Very close to up and coming premium Jing An district and other attraction/shopping areas. I was not too impressed with service+food at breakfast.

I used to live in this area between 2007-2010 in Shanghai. This neighborhood is absolutely non-touristy. Easy to get taxi. On your left you have a good cafe - Wagas. There's a great foot massage place - Jiuhao Massage Club (6 Yanping Road). Don't forget to check out Spin Ceramics shop if you are staying here - one of the best designed retail space in the city (360 Kangding Lu, near Shaanxi Bei Lu).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
URBN_GM, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Dear Mr. Deb:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. Your input was very helpful. I'm glad to hear that you found out staff to be helpful and enjoyed our design! I am also happy to tell you that the lighting design in our rooms will be addressed with our future upgrade plans.

I loved your recommendations! Spin is my go-to for all gifts (whether for other people or for myself!).