“Extremely Relaxing”

Ranked #43 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Extremely Relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2008

The URBN in Shanghai was exactly what my husband and I needed after a grueling 3 days the bamboo forest, Yellow Mountain, and Suzhou. We spent two nights here in hopes of catching a glimpse of Shanghai on our whirlwind China trip. The staff was very helpful and arranged dinner reservations as well as hailed taxis for us. They spoke excellent English and were always willing to help at any time. The beds were perfect. Everything was very clean. The smell was fresh and nice. Our room was closest to the street but we didn't even hear the sounds of the Shanghai traffic. The elements of color and design inside this hotel are very pleasing. The only thing we did not like was the restaurant at the hotel. Though they served us an excellent western breakfast in our room, the dinner the night before was very mediocre. The preparations were fine but the specific food combinations did not please my palate. If we go to Shanghai again, we would stay at the URBN.

• Liked — The comfort, cleanliness, and service
  • Disliked — The restaurant
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2008

I've stayed in a thousand hotels, in 15 countries. I've never had a GM sit with me and my travel companion at breakfast twice to write out suggested place to visit and help us plan our travels.

I've never had a hotel staff walk with me to local restaurant and help me order dinner in a restaurant that has no english menu.

At truly unique experience. I will be shocked if i ever stay in a different hotel in Shanghai.

• Liked — Unique rooms, amazing GM and staff, great breakfast
  • Disliked — Although all rooms are Non-Smoking, people smoked in the rooftop bar area. But, this is shanghai.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2008

just came back from a weekend at the Urbn hotel, got in after midnight from a delayed flight, the hotel whether in the day time or at night is quite a little oasis from the hustle/bustle of Shanghai, the courtyard dining area, check in area & overall design of the public areas & rooms are really nice/hip

I liked my room's simple, stylish & spacious design (didn't bring a camera this time), for a studio room I wasn't expecting much but the room was was really spacious (felt around 800 sq ft) well designed & definitely green & hip at the same time

food was healthy & tasty, service was in general quite good

only 2 reasons not a 5 /5 rating
1) booked a 2 hour in room massage, they use an outside company, and the masseur was 1/2 an hour late
2) not the easiest place to get a cab, waited quite a bit on Sat (with myself & a hotel staff on each side of the street)
3) while a nice hotel for this price, this is not a luxurious hotel but nonetheless a nice hotel

this is the type of hotel I 'd come back to over & over again (I liked the location & know the area well, +I prefer smaller hotels with less rooms) and would recommend it to my friends, but for the rest of my friends/colleagues that are used to park hyatt type hotels this is not the hotel for them

still, I would come back, if for nothing else, their effort to be carbon neutral deserves kudos

• Liked — carbon neutral
  • Disliked — I like spotless bathrooms ... & it wasn't
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2008

It is a very simple story. This is a first rate hotel. It is the only hotel that I have stayed in, in Shanghai where they actually serve a good coffee, which has a great steak, where the rooms are homely (though very cool and hip) without being too homely, where the staff are not automated big-hotel drones, where the building has a feel of Shanghai before the big towers went up, which is in a truly great location (not too close / not too far away), where you are compelled to drink in the private bar or rent out the penthouse and roof garden to drink away the night.

It is without doubt a great place to stay, is striking and memorable.

• Liked — It is unique
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TWMB
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2008

What an amazing find, an oasis in the middle of busy bustling Shanghai, behind the impressive wooden gate is a hotel that is so inviting it could be your "home away from home". The ambience is ideal and starts the minute you walk behind the gates. You are greeted by friendly staff in the garden that oozes tranquility and is ideal for a meal or a relaxing drink. The rooms are spacious and offer all the modern conveniences, I especially liked the Ipod stand, not to mention the heavenly bath or the beds that feel you like you are sleeping in a cloud. It's heaven!

I would highly recommend this hotel not only for it's cutting edge design, excellent location and first class facilities but for it's concerns to the environment. It sure beats staying at one of those predictable, impersonal hotels!

VERY IMPRESSIVE.

• Liked — Ambience
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank OliviaButcher
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

I have been travelling to Shanghai for over 10 years and have never found a hotel that mixes style, convenience, an authentic experience and comfort - until I stayed at Urbn. Urbn first caught my eye for the fact that it is carbon neutral and I wasn’t disappointed. I stayed in June 2008 with my wife for a trip where I wanted to combine business and pleasure and found the fitout to be luxurious and hip, the staff were helpful and knowledgeable, the food in the restaurant was top notch and best of all, the rooms were the most spacious that I have ever stayed in. We especially liked the lounge area in our room, which you never get at those big chain hotels - where you always have to sit on the bed. Shanghai can be hectic at the best of times, so my wife and I really looked forward to getting back to the oasis of Urbnm with its garden and relaxed vibe. As soon as you walk through the large wooden gates, you instantly feel like you have entered your own secret hideaway in Shanghai. I highly recommend Urbn and will definitely be heading back there again!

• Liked — The spacious rooms and garden
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank worldtraveller1980
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2008

We were amazed by Shanghai, if you are really into major world-class cities then this is a place you cannot miss, it's kind of a mixture between Hong Kong, Manhattan and Gotham City!

Naturally though, the experience of a city is always meliorated by staying at a phenomenal hotel, and we are confident we have found one!

If you are not interested in staying in one of the big chains and fancy something a little different and 'boutiquey' then Urbn is definitely the place to stay. As you enter through an enormous wooden door from the hustle bustle of the street, you really do enter an oasis of water fountains and palm trees, it's a peaceful and serene place - thankfully they only have 26 rooms so you are never going to be surrounded by hundreds of people.

The hotel is, what can we say, stunning. You are greeted in the reception area by a wall of leather suitcases (sounds silly but it works) and the hotel is decked out entirely in slate and reclaimed mahogany. Our room was not only enormous but it came complete with an outdoor garden, it had all the amenities you would wish for including wireless internet and a speaker connection for your Ipod. Our room was superbly decorated without being over the top, so it was a great place to spend a few relaxing afternoons escaping from the overwhelming heat of July.

The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful and all smiles. We did not eat at the restaurant, but we managed to drink enough alcohol to kill a family of six as of the hidden gems of this hotel is a tiny private bar on the 4th floor. In the evening they play funky tunes and project kung fu films from the 1970s on the wall - so after dinner we would always end up here for a nightcap. The Food and Beverage manager is Australian and he takes pride in inventing delicious cocktails (such as a goji berry martini).

We stayed for a total of 6 nights and didn't want to leave, which is rare as we are both quite picky about where we stay and also get bored rather easily, but this place was just fab. If you are visiting Shanghai you'd be mad not to stay there.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple