“security guard (Sammy Zhu) shouted at me” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kingswell hotel Shanghai

Kingswell hotel Shanghai
Ranked #178 of 4,966 Hotels in Shanghai
shanghai
“security guard (Sammy Zhu) shouted at me”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2009

My father stayed here for two nights in Nov 2009. On the second day, I drove there to take my father to a hospital nearby for a medical check. I was considering to extend for another night, so I wanted to make a quick park-n-extend.

Their security guard created so many request on my parking. I was in a hurry and muttered that it was a waste of my time. That security guard put his face against mine and shouted at me. He even invited me to make complaint on him. I was shocked. I asked their duty manager to deal with this matter and requested an apology. The security guard evaded into their office and never refused to come out again. The duty manager failed to give any acceptable explanation on this matter.

I will never recommend this hotel. That is not a security guard. I think it is not secure dealing with them anyway.

The security guard is Sammy Zhu and the duty manager Andy Qian.

Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank neverdaysinn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

I stayed here in November 2008 because it was the venue of a conference. Room very clean, comfortable, and well equiped with facilities and items. Very nice and polite hotel staffs from reception counter, restaurant even the housekeeping. I enjoyed staying here. The only weakness is difficult to get shopping centre or hawker centre (for good and tasty food) within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Chicago, IL USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

My wife and I were in Shanghai for a couple of days while in transit to Tibet . Knowing that Shanghai was not our final destination, our travel agent booked us at that Days Inn. Certainly a clean and well kept hotel with excellant staff. However, if you expect to control the temperature within your room; do not stay at this hotel. The heat and humidity in Shanghai while we were there was oppressive. The air conditioning system at the hotel is only on every other hour during the night at the most modest of levels. Our room was 78 degrees at 3:00AM with the air conditioning on at full force. If you like to have a sweltering room with no air flow, this is the hotel for you. We checked out and moved to the Westin on the Bund -- plenty of cool air there.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2009

As another reviewer said, there is no heat but lots of hot water and bedding. The room goes down to mid-60's, not too bad, for April. The bed was so cold I ran the hairdryer under the covers and that worked to make it snuggly warm.

The rooms are spacious, new looking, clean carpet and free internet. Hard bed. (I slept
on top of pillows the second night!) Location not the greatest but taxis are cheap.

The service most pleasant and the populace welcoming. Smog-dreadful.

Acrobat show and museum- just wonderful.

• Stayed April 2009
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Barbara P
san francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2009

A group of us stayed for two nights in December when it was very cold outside and inside the hotel--7 degrees Centigrade. Upon calling the front desk they told me that they do not have heat. Turns out they turned off their heat because their occupancy level was low. They offered us extra blankets which meant you had to stay in bed and wake up to the frigid cold in the morning. This shows that they do not care about our comfort, just their pocketbooks. This is suppose to be a 4 Star hotel, however, I felt we received the service of a 2 Star hotel. Beware, they may turn off their AC in the summer.

• Liked — Locaton
  • Disliked — It was not comfortable
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Bristol, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2009

Stayed 4 nights whilst at meetings at Tongji University (very close-by). An excellent hotel for this (business) purpose. Not well-located for normal tourism, or access to Shanghai centre. The hotel has good Chinese and Western restaurants, and there are others nearby.
The executive room was comfortable and clean (but the hot water took a few minutes to arrive at the taps!).

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
upstate ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2008

This hotel was booked for us, as part of accomodations for a conference. We were pleasantly surprised, as we didn't know what to expect. It is very similar to an American hotel in terms of room size, cleanliness and services. Though the staff didn't speak alot of English, it was sufficient to address our many questions we had about tourism, meals, check in/out etc. The concierge hailed a taxi for us daily, and told the driver, in Chinese, where we wanted to go. Only thing to know is that the hotel is not near downtown, nor a subway, so taxi is the way to travel. The meal was a Western & Chinese combo buffet. Varied daily. Fine, not incredible, but did the trick. We'd stay here again.

• Liked — Room, Service
  • Disliked — Beds were hard
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank shg8e