“Dissatisfied”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Selma
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Selma
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I checked in over two telephone calls. The first one, I was asked if I could be placed on hold, which I consented to. 9 minutes plus later, I figured they had forgotten about me, so I hung up and redialed. I got through again and the same person took my call, asking what she could do for me. I stated that I was on hold for nearly 10 minutes and hung up thinking she forgot me. She apologized and said she was busy with a customer. No problem.

I gave my credit card information, booked a room, and my son and I checked into our room. We should have been suspicious immediately, there were several items that were in the room. A bottle of Coca Cola, some popcorn, and some cereal...all unopened. There were a couple of writing pens on the counter in the bathroom. And, some of the hand soap was opened.
I took the items to the front desk and the receptionist assured me nobody had been in that room for some time. Whatever.

Lastly, we were kept up all night with various loud noises in & outside of the hotel. The room next door had absolutely zero consideration for anyone else as they were making noises equating to a basketball being bounced against the wall my headboard was against. This went on all night, till roughly 4 AM. My son was kept awake, I was kept awake, so I packed my things and we left. I did talk to the person on duty, and they did knock off a whole $10 from my bill. So much for the advertised 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!

Overall, the facilities were more than adequate. The condition of our room, other than someone leaving the food items, was satisfactory. But my room, and the room on the other side of the "active" room both complained, so it wasn't as if there was anything unsubstantiated. But I saved a whole $10.00.....
Needless to say I cannot recommend this particular hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DiamondEyezGuy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Selma, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

Dear DiamondEyezGuy,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 24 August 2012

We went to Selma for a family reunion. I've seen earlier reviews of this hotel, saying it may be the best in Selma. And, from what I've seen, it may be. There were not a lot of choices in Selma. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Rooms were clean as HI Express properties usually are. The breakfast bar was well stocked each morning. The only drawback was a lack of a meeting room, which we could have used for the reunion. There is a Wal-Mart down the road if you need something, but it's not within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sirpres
Reviewed 12 July 2012

My husband was born in Selma, Alabama, and we recently visited there for his annual family reunion. They hold the reunion in a different city every year, and it had been many years since the entire family had gathered in this Southern city. For the uninitiated, Selma is best known for the 1965 Selma Voting Rights Movement and its Selma to Montgomery civil rights marches.

The Holiday Inn Express is located in the same complex as the Hampton Inn and Residence Suites. They're all basically simple walking distance from each other, so if you're traveling with a large party like we were and there isn't enough room at one hotel, you can book in either of the other two and know that you'll be very close to each other. This entire area is apparently brand new. The Holiday Inn Express was definitely very new looking - all the carpeting looked immaculate, along with the furniture, etc. The lobby is not big, but it does have 2 couches in it so family can wait during check in.

The Holiday Inn Express in Selma is a 3-story affair and is definitely up to the standards of all Holiday Inn Express hotels. We stay in Holiday Inn Express hotels nearly exclusively when we are traveling. Our exception is when we're in Orlando - we typically stay on Disney property then. But we like the Holiday Inn Express brand so much that we're thinking about trying it out in Orlando, too!

The staff in Selma - Jamie at the front desk, in particular - were great. Everyone was friendly - all staff greeted you upon encountering you in a hallway or on the elevator. The breakfast room was large and very nicely appointed with a couch, fireplace with a flat-screen TV above it. There was also a gentleman who was part of the maintenance staff - didn't get his name - but he was extra helpful with us and very understanding about how to deal with large groups. They do have 1 or 2 meeting rooms if needed, as well as a computer for guests' use. They have free WiFi which was very easy to connect to and which provided a reliable connection.

There is a nice pool at this property. It's not fancy, but it is very clean and serviceable. The kids in our group had a ball in it, and it's not too deep for 4 and 5 year-olds to enjoy. The pool is right off of the breakfast room, so we could keep an eye on the kids from both inside the breakfast room and at the 3 small outside tables that are situated at one end of the pool area. This hotel does provide a free, hot breakfast from 6 to 10 a.m., and it is standard fare for this hotel brand: mini muffins, mini bagels, toast, scrambled eggs, pancakes, various juices, coffee, tea, etc.

My husband indicated that when he was growing up, the only fast food joint in Selma was a Hardee's. There is now every kind of fast food joint possible, even Taco Bell. Not sure if the presence of multiple fast food indicates any kind of real PROGRESS, per se, but there are many other businesses now in Selma that were never there before - a large Wal-Mart and Walgreens, to name just two. They have brought commerce and jobs into the area, so it seems good from that perspective.

Selma is still very much a small Southern town with not a whole lot to do. But if you find yourself in Selma, you should feel comfortable staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank samies-mom
Reviewed 27 April 2012

The room was ok except the sheets felt like they were coming off all night. Definitely a 2 star but felt like we paid for 3 star. The staff could use more training.

• Stayed: April 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Selma, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear travellight7,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are glad you liked your room accommodations. We apologize for any problems you experienced with our staff. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 5 February 2012

As expected, this Holiday Inn Express was a good choice. Nice hotel, nice people, Everything was up to Holiday Inn standards. This is probably the best hotel in Selma, which is a dying city!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank rdpine
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Found out small pets are not allowed too late. Happily paid $200 fine as I shredded my Gold Elite Membership card.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Trippished
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel last month and the service was horrible. The desk clerk and assistant manager was rude and very unhelpful. First, she did not want to honor the price quoted to me during reservation. After about 10 minutes of dialogue, she reluctantly gave me the room. Once in the room, there were no clean towels and I was moved to another room. The next morning, the breakfast area attendant was not present and no coffee. Horrible stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Kim P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selma
Hampton Inn Selma
Sleep Inn & Suites Marion
St. James Hotel
St. James Hotel
#3 of 10 in Selma

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Selma? Share your experiences!