“Candlewood is Kind of Like Home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa

Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa
Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Decatur, Alabama
“Candlewood is Kind of Like Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Candlewood Suites while in town for a business meeting. I made group reservations for our group. When I walked into the lobby it spelled clean. I don't know what they used to achieve the fresh smell but it permeated the whole facility.

Once you pass the front lobby you will see a pantry that includes all kind of food and sundries. It even has a cooler with refrigerated items. There is a basket where you can write down your room number for your purchases; it is on the honor system...imagine that!

This hotel is meant for extended stay; we only stayed for one night so we didn't get the full benefit of the suite that included a small stove and full sized refrigerator and microwave. I liked the table/desk that divided the kitchen area from the living room area. The design looked nice and was very functional without taking up a lot of space.

There is not breakfast served here but you can purchase breakfast from the pantry to prepare in your room or you can buy groceries and stock your room yourself. There is a pool and work out room here too.

Now for the service...I bought a card to give to someone at our meeting and while writing it in I made a mistake. I was commenting to a colleague about it when Mary, the front desk clerk, heard me and said that she had some white out. I told her that the card was pink. She said "how about trying white out and a highlighter?" I tried it but it didn't look good, she then came up with the idea of cutting a piece of pink paper out of something that she had and pasting it over the error. We matched it as close as we could and I finished the card. It looked much better. Now, that is unexpected service. Mary went out of her way to make a customer happy with something that had nothing to do with my stay. Mary is to be commended for her service. Other members of my group came in at that time and were very pleased with Mary's help too.

I will definitely come to Candlewood Suites again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Hrpamw
cheree_slaten, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Wow! Thank you so much for the wonderful review! I love how you described everything with such great detail. This really helps to paint a picture for future guests. I know that took some time and thought, and it is very appreciated!
I am glad to hear that Mary was so thoughtful and helpful for you. She is a real asset! It was sweet of you to mention her by name.
Thank you again for your review. I hope that when you are back in town again, we will see you at Candlewood Suites!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I should have learned my lesson from the night before at a location in a different city. This one was also loud in adjacent rooms late into the night. This had somewhat cleaner, newer carpet and furniture, but still not something to write home to Momma about. The clincher came in the morning well before check-out-time, which I thought was protected by the two magnetic "I don't want to be disturbed" signs placed on the outside of my steel door.

I got one set of knocks, then a second, before I opened the door to a gal behind a linen cart who asked me, "Do you need anything in there?" I pointed to the two magnetic signs and replied, "can you read this?". I'm not sure she actually was from housekeeping, but if so, maybe their housekeeping offers additional services not desired by this guest.

I did complain to the front desk clerk upon checkout and was awarded additional priority club points for my stay. Still, I would never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
cheree_slaten, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
I am so sorry about your experience at our hotel. You should never have been disturbed while having a "do not disturb" magnet on your door. I will have a personal meeting with our housekeeping department today to ensure that this does not happen to anyone in the future. As you can see from our other reviews and ranking on Trip Advisor, we take customer service very seriously, and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. Again, please accept my personal apologies for this inconvenience. I hope you will give us another try when you are back in our area.
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel while in Tuscaloosa for business. I felt right at home. I got tired of eating out and was able to cook in my room because it had a full kitchen. The front desk staff are really nice and always had a smile on their faces.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
cheree_slaten, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review!! I'm delighted to hear that you felt "right at home." It is our goal to welcome all guest to consider us home. Also, I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our front desk staff. We look forward to seeing you in the future!
Dallas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I booked a double room on line and requested a roll away. When I got there, they informed me that a roll away was not possible in a double room due to fire laws. I had to book a second room. I would have gone somewhere else where the rooms were bigger, and it would have been cheaper to pay more for one bigger room, than having to get two rooms. Wouldn't have hurt them to check the request before I arrived and let me know.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
cheree_slaten, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you for your open and honest review. I am so sorry to hear that you did not receive the room type you anticipated. The room type you reserved had two beds, just as you chose when reserving your room. However, it is unfortunate that we were unable to add an extra bed due to our city's fire code. You mention that you requested a "roll away" when you booked the room, but when we received the reservation (either from an internet booking or an IHG Central Reservation Office), there wasn’t any mention of this request attached to your reservation. We had no way to know about this request prior to your arrival. I am glad that we had availability to accommodate everyone in your party, but I am sorry that it required the purchase of a second room.

You mentioned that your room was "not really a suite". There are varying thoughts on what a suite could be. Sometimes it means that there are separated rooms, but Candlewood Suites hotels are designed as "all-suite" hotels, meaning that we feature fully equipped and stocked kitchens in all of our rooms.

Again, I apologize that your room type did not meet your expectations. Our goal is happy and content guests, so the next time you are headed to Tuscaloosa, call our hotel directly. I would love to personally assist with future accommodations, and make sure that we have a clear understanding of your needs prior to your arrival.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to see you again soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

While traveling from Texas to North Carolina, we stayed in this Candlewood Suites Hotel on both legs of the trip. The first night we stayed was enjoyable. The rooms were clean though small and the hotel was fine for a quick place to stay. The staff was very friendly, helpful and professional. On our return trip however, the bed was very uncomfortable and the room had maintenance issues. When asked by the front desk about our stay, we explained the problems we saw and the clerk immediately said that they would check the items we mentioned and gave us extra loyalty points for our inconveniences. All hotels can have small problems and we appreciated the way the staff was willing to address these.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
cheree_slaten, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for your review. We value our guest's feedback, as it is the only way to continue to improve. Of course we are unhappy to hear that you did not enjoy the bed on your second stay. We have since made some adjustments to this bedding, and you should be pleased on your next visit. It was our pleasure to add additional IHG Rewards Club points to your account, and we hope to see you again soon.
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

From australia, my husband and I were traveling and needed a stopover having no real idea. We chose this place and were very pleasantly surprised. Excellent service from Kim who helped with checkin and couldn't have been more pleasant and friendly. Room was a suite with everything we needed including kitchenette, outdoor grill excellent to cook up a steak and relax. The extras like guest laundry, sundry shop and gym make it brilliant for us. Highly recommend this place, as a result we have changed our other pre-booked accommodation for candlewood suites and have recommended this chain to family who are also planningn to travel to the States soon from Australia . Michelle and David

Room Tip: One bedroom suites perfect for longer stays
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Michelle B
cheree_slaten, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I really enjoyed meeting you both . I was delighted to hear how much you both enjoyed your stay and how impressed you were with our staff and property. I'm so glad to hear that about the friendly and pleasant service you received from our Front Desk Agent Kim. It's our goal to welcome you in to consider us home. In addition, I'm happy you enjoyed our "brilliant" "extras." As an extended stay hotel we offer many additional comforts of home and I'm so pleased you enjoyed your time here. We would love to see you again!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We were relocating to Tuscaloosa with short notice and would need an hotel with an option for extended stay. The hotel manager Sheree was very prompt with her assistance before we even got there & was great in accommodating our needs. All of the staff their is friendly and helpful as well. Housekeeping is efficient & keep the rooms very clean. This is a great hotel & I would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
cheree_slaten, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
WOW! Thank you so much for the awesome review! Also, thank you for the kind words concerning our promptness and assistance before arrival. I'm so happy to hear that you are pleased with our team and the cleanliness of your room. I am glad you have enjoyed your stay during your relocation to our area. Welcome to Tuscaloosa!