“We attended the softball camp at The University of Alabama...”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tuscaloosa Near University
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Tuscaloosa
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I had never stayed at a Microtel so I wasn't sure what to expect. Overall, I was very pleased. The room was very clean and sort of reminded me of an efficiency apartment. The bathroom was huge and the sleeping area was a good size and that was about all that there was to the room. I guess that's why it's called Microtel because it's like a smaller version of a hotel room. There is a small closet and a desk that was plenty big to set up a laptop to work. There is free wi-fi but no password required. Also, there is no microwave or refrigerator in the room. The bed was super comfortable though and I loved the special touches in the room. You have a big window with a window seat. That gave it a homey feel. Also, there is a light over the bed that is covered so you don't have a bare bulb shining in your eyes if you want to read in bed. I liked that the light was not glaring. Again, a homey touch. The complimentary breakfast was a "real" breakfast and very good. If you are planning on being in an area a few days, the lack of refrigerator and microwave might be a problem. But if you're passing through town and want a reasonably priced room that is comfortable, clean and makes you feel at home, this is the place. The service was great and I would recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

Rikesh P, Owner at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tuscaloosa Near University, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Kudos on the review! It is true Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham does provide a unique atmosphere all geared towards delivering an exceptionally positive experience with us. Microtel brand is the only hotel chain to have the modernized window seating where is ideal for laptop and book reading or simply to watch TV.

All our room attendants, guest services, and management are upbeat about delivering quality hospitality to all our guests and as our gratitude complimentary WiFi, free HOT breakfast, and are 100% non-smoking.

We do have 2 other room types which are Double Queen and Wyndham Suites that do have the micro/fridge in them. We are currently renovating the hotel property with new painting, carpeting, and updating to current versions of 1080p flat panel TVs. It was an absolute honor to have you as our guest and look forward to serving you in the future when back in the City of Tuscaloosa.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The rude lady behind the desk when I checked in. I didn't like the pubic hairs I found all of my towels and wash cloths. My friend and I were both bitten by fleas. No coffee during the free breakfast (several days). Finding the window unlocked after on our second night stay. Being awaken to the sound of the dumpster being dumped at 230am. The lack of parking when we got to the hotel around 1130pm on the second night there. My most dis liked thing about Microtel was I was told, by a hotel employee the day after I booked my stay, that my Farmers Federation discount would apply when I paid for my stay. When checking in they denied my discount. This is when the employee who checked me in was extremely rude. There are way better hotels in the area. STAY AWAY FROM Microtel!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Rikesh P, Owner at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tuscaloosa Near University, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
We have taken care of all the issues that you experienced during your stay. Our towels and linens are washed daily with sanitary temperatures along with scientific ingredients from Ecolab. We have Orkin Pest Control come out weekly to analyze the property to ensure that we have no issues and proactively have informed them of your experience in which they have corrected. I am deeply sorry about the coffee and we have improved our stations to ensure that there is adequete amounts during our breakfast times from 6 am-10 am (weekdays) and 7 am-10 am (weekends).

All of our windows have a security threshold on them that can only be opened a maximum of 2 inches for overall safety. We use Rumsey Environmental for disposal and they will be contacted immediately to come later on in the morning as we understand our guests are sleeping at the time. Also, as per our conversation we are honoring the 20% discount for Farmers Federation the reason at the time for denial of the discount is that you had booked via a 3rd party Booking.com but, if booked direct we would have been able to handle the discount differently. We have communicated with Booking.com and we have credited your account the 20% requested. We want to do the right thing and do appreciate your business while with us for your daughter's last year cheer camp.

We are appreciative of your review as it only helps us to continuously improve our service to all our guests. Once again I am deeply sorry for your experience and when back in Tuscaloosa we will guarantee that you have a memorable and positive one.

Hospitably yours,