“Not up to the usual standards”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tuscaloosa
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Inverness, Illinois
“Not up to the usual standards”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

With a son at UA we travel to Tuscaloosa often. We try to stay closer to campus, but our usual hotels were booked. We chose the Country Inn & Suites because we have stayed in them before in other cities when we are looking for separate sleeping and living spaces and have found them adequate. Unfortunately, we found this property lacking. The room was small. The linens and towels were tattered. While we set the bar pretty low for a pull out, this one should be thrown out. The breakfast was particularly weak. The food was minimal and not replenished in a timely fashion. The layout congested. The seating area too small. The coffee both during breakfast and in the lobby was always empty. There are plenty of other options in the area, we will look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Christy M, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay.

I am truly so very sorry about the concerns you shared regarding your visit. On behalf of our entire team here at Country, I would like to apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I want all of our guests to enjoy their stay and have a very relaxing experience, so I am hoping that you will allow me the chance to personally right this wrong. Please feel free to call me the next time you are in town so that I may make a reservation for you, and hopefully you will have a much more inviting experience.

I would still like to thank you for leaving the feedback so that we are able to fine tune our operations in hopes that future issues such as this one are handled in the best way possible for our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Richmond, United States
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Great location. New hotel with new rooms with a very friendly & accommodating staff. Good amenities including pool and business center. I'd readily stay here again in a town where you can get some pretty scary places to stay with "national chain" names. Many of the better known names in Tuscaloosa are old, worn, and rundown with sketchy locations. Country Inn and Suites is a great value for the money.

Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson

Christy M, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you so much for such a great review of our Country Inn & Suites. We truly appreciate your taking the time to tell others about your recent stay with us. It is really gratifying to hear how much you enjoyed your visit and that you noticed all of the renovations and changes we have made to provide our guests with an updated product. I will be sure to relay your comments to all our staff. We hope to see you soon when your travels bring you back to Tuscaloosa, AL.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 13 August 2014

we were visiting Univ of Alabama. This was a good value. We had a warm greeting by a new employee Jose Garcia. They had cookies and coffee in the lobby. Other desk attendant very nice also. Room was good. Clean. Up to date. Pool outside was heating and we enjoyed that. Breakfast was good. I think overall we liked the place. My only minor gripe. I like working out. Gym was hot. Needed a fan. And they had a newer rubber flooring that was overwhelming me choking me and there were no towels in the gym. I had to get one. But that was minor. Overall liked the place.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you and we truly appreciate your taking the time to tell others of your Country Inn & Suites experience. It is really gratifying to hear how much you enjoyed your visit. I will be sure to relay your comments to all our staff. They will be very appreciative and encouraged by your comments.
Houston, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have stayed in a lot of hotels over the years, and you can tell when the management and employees are invested in providing the best customer experience possible. The mid-range, budget-minded hotels that most of us stay in are a compromise between cost and amenities. Country Inn & Suites offers comfortable bedding, free internet, and (usually) a decent breakfast. But some locations are far better managed and maintained than others. The Tuscaloosa, AL location near the University of Alabama (Roll Tide!) is adequate - nothing special. We stayed, we slept, we departed. The A/C was noisy, the towels were threadbare, and the bathroom door handle was very loose. But the front desk staff was nice, the beds were comfortable, the room was quiet, and we got a decent night's sleep before hitting the road the next day. A downside to Country Inn & Suits is that the Club Carlson/Rezidor Hotel Group rewards program is not as good as some others. It takes twice the number of points to get the same type of room in comparison to the Marriott Rewards program.

Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your previous stay with us. I wanted to personally thank you for staying, and also to truly apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I am truly sorry that you were disappointed. Our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority, and I assure you that we will definitely take your comments into consideration so that we may find ways to improve our service and quality. We hope to see you again when you travel back to Tuscaloosa, so that we may have the chance to provide you a much better experience.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Cannot say enough praise for the staff at this hotel. Lauren at the front desk is amazing. Country inn better keep her and move her into management! She was so helpful and delightful! Full of wise advice about the city, where to shop, eat, find things, etc.
And she helped us in many other ways... First, I was new at using the hotel phone app and accidentally cancelled my reservation. I tried to reinstate it on phone app and it came up as hotel was sold out, room no longer available. I panicked since we had not had time to buy a bed for my daughter's new rental as a new Univeristy of Alabama student. Called hotel and Lauren said, "no problem", she reinstated my reservation and said "come on over." She was so gracious to us. When we got to our room there was a little welcome bag on the pillow with animal cracker snacks in it tied with a bow, welcoming us to the hotel.
I asked if we could stay another night since the house my daughter rented looked like it would need more cleaning than expected and I doubted we could move in next day. Lauren checked and since this is the university move in week, they were totally sold out. But, she said "don't worry, there are sometimes last minute cancelations" and she told us to check next morning before checking out. Good advice. Next morning Jasmine was working front desk and she was fantastic. Figured out how to let us stay an extra night and how to keep us in the same room.
The breakfast was great. Loved their biscuits and fresh fruit with orange and grapefruit slices. Also glad they had refrigerator and micro in room. First night we ordered so much food that we had 2 huge doggie bag boxes of left overs. Stuck them in fridge and it worked out great to zap in microwave the next night for dinner. Tip if you plan on doing this... LOVE that this hotel uses real ceramic plates and cups for breakfast instead of wasting styrofoam which is so bad for environment. We borrowed 2 ceramic plates from breakfast room, knowing we would be heating leftovers for dinner and not wanting to cook in styrofoam leftover boxes. Then just rinsed the plates and returned them to the dirty dish bin in breakfast room the next morning. My daughter hates styrofoam and says you are never supposed to microwave in it so it is great that his hotel offers this real plate option. After a few nights we were ready to move into her house so no need to stay in a hotel in Tuscaloosa again. But if we need to, we will surely be back here and hope to see Lauren again. She is wonderful. We took her advice on restaurants, shopping, everything! Felt like we met a new friend the first day we arrived in town! Thanks!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Christy M, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience as guest at Country Inn & Suites. We are pleased that our team was so professional and accommodating during your stay with us. We try to ensure that each guest receives A-level service from check in to check out. I will certainly share your kind words with Lauren and the rest of our staff!

We look forward to having you back as our guest and providing you, again, with an amazing experience during your next trip!
Thomasville NC
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Always enjoy staying at this hotel. Staff is friendly. Rooms are clean. We chose this location because we have a daughter in school at the University. It is close to her, plus close to the interstate and shopping.

Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites, Tuscaloosa ~ I thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. As always our staff strives to make every guest feel welcome and make them feel at home. We appreciate your business and hope you come see us again whenever you are in Tuscaloosa.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We have stayed in a lot of hotels over the past 5 years and although the room sizes were good (we had two king suites) but they both smelled - one was smoke smell and the other was mold smell. A quick spray with my room deoderizer helped but we shouldn't have had to do that!

Also, we had no toilet paper in one room and the other had only enough for one person.

Pool was smallest I had ever seen. Had just had chlorine put in it so we had to wait hours before going in. Location was right off the highway and about 15 minutes from University of Alabama (many red lights on the way there). Pro - king bed was very comfy

Would look for another hotel to stay in if ever in the area again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Christy M, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your honest feedback of your recent stay with us. I thank you for staying with us and truly apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I did, however, want to take this opportunity to apologize for the room concerns and the issues with the pool. Our guest satisfaction is our main priority, and I personally assure you that we will definitely take your comments into consideration so that we may find ways to improve our service and quality.

Once again, I really do apologize for any inconveniences you may have had and I hope the next time you return to the area you consider staying with us again.