“For the money...”

Americas Best Value Inn Tuscaloosa
Ranked #34 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Look, its a cheap hotel. I wasn't thrilled, but I don't have any major complaints either. Room was clean, beds comfortable... we just needed a place to pull off and sleep and this place was cheap and suitable. We came here after demanding a refund from the nearby Motel 6 which was HORRRRRRRIBLE! In a scale of 1-10 I give this a "meh".

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Project HIghway C
There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn Tuscaloosa

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This is by far the worst place I have ever stayed, Me and my family go on 3 or 4 trips a year and have stayed in a lot of places. When we checked in the lights didn't work we had to get bulbs for the lamps. one light had naked wires. we left that one unplugged. fire hazard. Then we went to get shower all the water came out of the wall. If they clean the tub they would have know that. That tell me they never clean the tub. Made them give us another room. Had to move all our stuff to another room. everything worked in this room. But the spreads on the beds was nasty told them we would take them off the bed for that night. but they could put some clean ones on the next day. Guess what they put them nasty thing back on the bed. and both ice machine just happen to be broke at the same time no ice no where on the place. My husband said he would sleep under a bridge before he stayed in this place again. All the other America's Best Hotel we have stayed in have be nice but not this one. So save your money find some where else tostay

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cindy M
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband stay here and me and him was laying down and all the sudden the door opened and it was a cleaning lady she didn't knock . I mean we was in bed with each other and she comes on in then just stands there like oh well then on too of everything the tube was gross they have a Matt in tube and a piece of it was left up and you could see yellow gooey stuff under it and nasty thick black stuff then covers smell like body odor . Roaches and a old chicken wing at edge of bed in floor it was so gross. And I'm from Tuscaloosa . My own hometown I couldn't believe it so my advice to who ever thinking about staying there don't. If your coming here for any football games your best place to go would be days inn or best western. And the price is too high but the owners are real nice but that's about it

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I was in a bind and needed a place to stay without being overly charged. I read some reviews and thought I would stay here. The room smelled, wires were coming out of the wall, and having a room behind the hotel was a little scary. I also woke up itchy. The breakfast was a Danish and weak coffee. The next time I payed $30 more & stayed at the hojo. Do your self a favor & do the same.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Tommy D
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Hotel staff friendly and accommodating. Rooms were clean and non smoking. 4 miles from U of Al, Fair pricing. Exceeded our expectations. I will definitely stay there during the next 4 yrs when I visit my child at U of A ROLL TIDE!

Room Tip: breakfast is Carb heavy, but plenty of restaurants nearby. Malls Target, Wal mart are all close(2 mi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I not only travel a bit, I produce radio programming that is travel/entertainment/culinary based. I've stayed in very high end luxury properties and cheap little dives, as well. Look...every property has an issue or two. Some are major and unforgivable in the lodging industry and some are the result of just normal usage and go unreported by one guest to the property but are discovered by the next. Maintenance, no doubt, catches most through their regular inspection of the guest rooms/facilities. Not always.
I recently found myself in Tuscaloosa quite unexpectedly and needing a room for two nights. ABVI had the most competitive rate. I opened the door to my room and was somewhat surprised at the level of room for the money. It was clean and well attended to by housekeeping. My towels were really white and clean and smelled good! (I'm a bit of a freak about that) A microwave and fridge are always a huge bonus for me as I often find myself collecting local food or beverage to enjoy in my room later or on the road home. Both were clean and worked fine. Since I find it hard to roll out in the morning without my bean, it was nice to have a coffee maker in the room, too. The lobby doesn't serve a big breakfast with an omelette bar or waffle iron (that drive up your room rate), but they do offer fresh coffee and decaf, toast, cereal, juice and packaged pastries.
The issues I encountered in my room were pretty basic. Two of the lamps needed a little attention and the cord on the room phone (which I rarely use) wouldn't stay clipped in the handset. Also, the internet was down. When I called the front desk, I first thought the clerk was trying to get rid of me, but she explained she wanted to get me off the phone so she could actually come to my room and take a quick inventory of the issues herself!
The front desk clerk showed up minutes later, apologized for my inconvenience, took notes on my issues and looked around to make sure everything else was in order, apologized again for the invasion of my space and promised I'd have my rooms problems addressed. There was another knock on my room door soon after and I thought perhaps she'd forgotten something, but it was actually maintenance coming to fix my lamps already! The router issue was addressed soon after and all was good!
All in all, you don't ALWAYS get what you pay for. This time I feel like I was well taken care of beyond what I paid. The staff was great and well displayed that famous Southern Hospitality. If you can hack that 'Bama humidity, there's great food within walking distance if you had to, a quick drive if you can, and trust me, if you ask the staff for recommendations on 'what' to eat 'where' locally you won't be disappointed!

**FOOTBALL FANS TAKE NOTE!**
The only delay I had at the front desk was the phone ringing off the hook from 'Bama fans with a home game coming up! This, apparently is 'the' favorite fan hotel in Tuscaloosa so book early if you're going to a game!

Oh yeah, one more thing I learned on my stay here..."ROLL TIDE!"

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Don J
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My daughters and I stayed here last week. The room was a decent size, but most importantly was cheap and clean. I would stay here again without hesitation. The breakfast was pretty weak, so don't expect too much there. The guy at the desk was friendly and helpful. Not luxurious but fair, clean and affrordable.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family