“This was "just fine" not any more than that.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa
Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa
Ranked #27 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Demarest, New Jersey
“This was "just fine" not any more than that.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed for the weekend for game day and flew in to visit our daughter. Unfortunately we were unable to stay at our usual spot due to late arrangements. This hotel was clean, we asked for the shower curtain to be changed (moldy). The front was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was nothing to speak of: a few pieces of fruit, waffles, some cereal (not replenished so almost empty as was the decaf coffee). Almost not worth having breakfast here. The T.V. was brown and orange and was told couldn't be changed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jgfly
Jeff K, General Manager at Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for bringing the inconveniences to our attention. We pride ourselves on making each guest feel comfortable with their stay. We have looked into the issues and are correcting them. We do appreciate you choosing the Howard Johnson for your stay in while visiting Tuscaloosa.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Tupelo, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I have to come to Tuscaloosa once a month for classes. My classes always fall during game days where all the local hotels triple in price. I was really shocked to get this room at only a $30 more than normal. I was really surprised! The room was clean & staff was friendly. The breakfast was ok, but for the price this is a decent place to stay. This is my third hotel to stay at in Tuscaloosa. The hotel for $30 cheaper is not worth the stay. This I will stay at again if I need to.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jeff K, Manager at Howard Johnson University of Alabama Tuscaloosa, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We continue to do our best to service all of our guest. Please visit us again at the Howard Johnson University of Alabama when your travels bring you back to our area.
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

The bathroom in this hotel was absolutely disgusting! There was mold/mildew all over. It smelled awful. There were bugs in the bathroom. If there were any other hotels that had rooms, I would have left immediately. When I spoke with the front desk about it, there was no apology, no sense of concern. I would rather stay in my car than at this place.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MidwesternatHeart196
Hello,

Thank you for your comments on your experience at our hotel. We apologize for this experience and we use this information to continue improvements to our hotel. We have addressed and will monitor this matter and hope you will try us again in your travels to Tuscaloosa.
Houma, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

This hotel was terrible ! The room was filthy, the bathroom - OH MY GOSH I have never seen anything so disgusting ! The hotel stunk like an ashtray, there was hair in my pillow, the bed was hard... If it wasn't so late and I wasn't so tired we would have went somewhere else. I wish the Windham next door wasn't booked up. Should have slept in the car.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mpellegr79
Montgomery, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

We found this hotel online at Book.com which had some good reviews and considered as a 3 Star which is UNBELIEVABLE!! I am writing this review at check- out due to my utmost disgust with this hotel. We came to the HOWARD JOHNSON of Tuscaloosa, AL (Skyland Blvd) for a funeral in the area and staying here made our visit extremely unpleasant. First, we booked this as a King size non-smoking room but they stated when we arrived that they were out. So, we requested our money back and they wouldn’t refund us. The receptionist (Danielle) had to call the manager, who never appeared, for a King smoking which we settled for but did not want. The receptionist could see that I am seriously disabled and she did not have the common sense to tell us that they did not have elevators and I would have to use the stairs which was impossible for me. So, after coming back to her to explain this, she gave us a double non-smoking which was filthy as hell. We did not notice this until after we got through visiting our families late that night who were also in the area for the funeral. This was the condition of the room and staff: Receptionist was very unprofessional and did not know how to treat all or certain guest with dignity and respect: Used dirty towels in the bathroom, blood or lipstick on the pillow cases, one bed has a sink hole and room was not clean. So, basically we ended up with a single room for the same price. We normally look around rooms but due to our reasoning for being in Tuscaloosa we were rushing and did not expect this from a so called 3 Star hotel. We contacted their corporate office (Wyndham Hotel) who stated that they would look into this matter. Finally, Wyndham Hotels, you should be embarrassed for having this particular Howard Johnson and its employees (Manager and Danielle) represent your corporation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family