“Fantastic location, nice room but lacks in service and breakfast bar.”

The Jack Warner at NorthRiver
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Tuscaloosa
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

I was at Yellowhammer for a wedding and loved the location and my room was small but very nice. However, my room was not cleaned until very late in the day and the complimentary breakfast was disappointing at best. This small hotel could use some professional coaching, and then it could be great.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank deeda c

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have family in Tuscaloosa and recently came to town for a post-Thanksgiving visit. We have stayed at the Yellowhammer Inn many times in the past and I was very happy to get a room there for this visit. This Inn is very different from your typical hotel and may not be everyone's cup of tea, but we absolutely love it. It is set in the grounds of the Northriver Yacht Club and the Yacht Club is so beautiful that the setting alone would be enough reason to love this hotel. You enter the Yacht Club and drive down a gorgeous windy road to reach the Inn. Along the way, you'll see the incredible elephant sculpture, gazebos on hilltops, and the beautiful buildings of the Yacht Club. The Inn itself is set against a woody hill with a pathway through the woods that will take you to a museum located on a hill behind the Inn. There is also the Captain's Cabin which overlooks Lake Tuscaloosa and has a wonderful porch where you can sit in a rocking chair and stare at the lake. I also saw a large herd of deer on a walk one morning!

The Inn itself has a lodge-like feel with animal mountings and comfortable, leather furniture. We've always found the Inn clean and well-maintained and the beds are really comfortable. There is a large deck off the bottom level with seating and heat lamps, as well as a comfortable, library-like room where continental breakfast is served and a large screen tv is available for football watching. One of the rooms even has a private deck which we've used in the past for a large family gathering.

Overall, I would highly recommend this Inn if you're looking for something a little different and don't mind the slightly out of the way location. The beautiful and peaceful surroundings make this Inn feel more like a resort than a standard hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed at the Yellowhammer Inn this weekend. This place is sitting in a beautiful area with the river and Yacht club on one side and a fabulous private country club golf course on the other. Bad news is the inn is old, dirty and not well kept. The bathrooms are reminiscent of a cheap motel, the heating and cooling loud and obnoxious, AND the TV is older than they should be for any boutique hotel. Our telephone had a blinking voice message and no one in the entire hotel knew how to clear a previous voice message. All the glass from the mirrors to the TV were streaked with a greasy film. I asked the woman at the front desk if she would give me some glass cleaner and I would re-clean the room. She was kind and she she was happy to do it. She brought in a spray bottle and newsprint and proceeded to spray and re-streak all the glass table tops and bathroom mirror. She apologized the bathroom mirror wouldn't clean up and remained streaked, although the other glass tops did as well. The hotel looks as though it was once nicely furnished, but now it just has a feel of "old." My mother's room was equally as shabby although she added that her floors were "crunchy" and someone else's hair was in the shower.

Room Tip: Try Holiday Inn Express in Tuscaloosa - it is very nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank leecat_tn
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We booked IN JANUARY 2013 three nights stay here at the Yellowhammer Inn over the weekend November 7-9, 2013. This was set to be our birthday weekend with our daughter, a student at the capstone Campus, to see the epic match-up between LSU and Alabama in Tuscaloosa on Saturday 9 November. Having made reservations for the attractive price of $199 per night via Expedia, I secured our tickets for the football game via StubHub in early September and all was well.

Then at 2:39 CST on Friday 27 September, 2013, i received an email from Expedia that our reservations would not be honored by The Yellowhammer Inn and that I needed to contact Expedia immediately to make "comparable, alternate arrangements". Now five weeks before the game, guess what Expedia offered me in Tuscaloosa -- two star fleabags, the only thing in Tuscaloosa except the Yellowhammer. Anybody still wondering why I booked with Expedia 11 months before the game???

I then proceeded to spend the better part of three days (my fridat evening and weekend) with The Yellowhammer Inn in one ear (cell phone) and Expedia in the other (land line). Talk about a waste of time and effort. Here's how the "he said, she said" played out in summary:
* The General manager of the Yellowhammer (she) said they sent the Yellowhammer an email in January notifying them that they would not honor OUR (remember us, the customer?) reservations, btu Expedia (WHO HAS A CONTRACT WITH THE YELLOWHAMMER INN) did not read it or follow up. This same general manager felt compelled to tell me that she had fired her assistant general manager over "similar problems". Why is this my problem, I am the ultimate customer who gave Expedia $1,000 in early January?!! To make matters worse, the General manager of the Yellowhammer Inn asked me if I would be willing to pay $300 per night (not the $199 per night I had given Expedia 9 months earlier) if she could wrangle a room from one of her "guess"......
* The agents and lead agent of Expedia insisted that they had a CONTRACT with THE YELLOWHAMMER INN, but did nothing more than acquiesce and keep offering me two-star fleabags in Tuscaloosa as "comparable alternate arrangements". Nobody would even hypothesize why Expedia could not enforce the etrms of their CONTRACT with Teh Yellowhammer inn.

After the most horrendous and apalling customer experience of my life we were moved about 40 miles out of Tuscaloosa and given $75 for gas by Expedia. So now we will need a helicopter ride to get to uscaloosa on 9 September for the LSU alabama football game.

Do NOT patronize the Yellowhammer Inn. They are rude price gougers who do not honor their contractual obligations with Expedia. As for expedia, their contracts and legal team I can only suppose are toothless and useless. Even after all of this, The Yellowhammer Inn is still advertising vacancies on line for LSU weekend...I can't look at it or the price or it will just enrage me more.

Other Alabama parents ahve complained of similar price gouging and their filure to honor reservations made through Expedia. The customer should NOT be "the monkey in the middle" between Expedia and The Yellowhammer Inn. See CollegeConfidential and search for University of Alabama, "LSU gae" for the sordid details.for details. UNACCEPTABLE.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Joe W
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed at the Yellowhammer for a football weekend. As the away team, we were blown away by how nice the staff was. The owner and his wife were on site to greet us when checking in. Charlie, the Assistant Manager, was helpful and nice; he braved game-day traffic to drive a shuttle for the hotel guests to attend the game! Though we didn't have time to golf, the course and grounds were beautiful. The bed was very comfortable and the rooms were quiet. Friday night featured live entertainment, food and drinks for socializing; breakfast was available both Saturday and Sunday. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Came to Tuscaloosa with friends from Colorado to attend a football game vs. the University of Alabama. The hospitality from people all over the city was tremendous, and especially notable at the Yellowhammer Inn. They went above and beyond to make us feel welcome, and went out of their way to serve us. The hotel is quaint, tucked into the woods, right near a beautiful golf course. I would recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Tuscaloosa. It's several miles from campus, but the atmosphere and hospitality are worth the tad-longer drive.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2013

For about what you will pay a night at a Hampton Inn, you can enjoy this boutique hotel in a country club setting. Our king junior suite was spacious, and had a very comfortable bed. WiFi access was reliable, but there was no desk & chair in our room, so ended up having to setup the laptop on the coffee table. Housekeeping is good, the bathroom and room were immaculate. The 4 days we were there, we were the only guests in the hotel! It seems this place sells out on football weekends, but is otherwise fairly quiet. Fine by us! No onsite restaurant, but they do a basic Continental breakfast in the mornings, included in the room rate. Typical weak Southern coffee, would have killed for a proper cappuccino or espresso close by.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business