“Very Good Restaurant”

Price range: US$5 - US$15
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2014

DePalma's has all the elements of a fine dining experience, and then a few more elements that takes it down to just above average.
Atmosphere is an attempt at classy, but the noise level takes away from that. I recognized higher-end speakers lining the walls near the ceiling. They must have been playing the "Bar Noise with Kitchen Clatter" album, because that's all anyone could hear.
Appetizers were 50/50. The first one we tried was a spread on perfectly toasted bread. Incredibly good.
The second appetizer had a mushroom sauce surrounded by mozzarella balls, meats, zucchini, cheeses, and eggplant (which is not normally part of the dish, but was requested by my wife). Someone in the kitchen got carried away with pepper, and essentially ruined the appetizer. It was an obvious mistake, because the rest of the food was perfect.
The second appetizer was taken off the bill. We had two deserts, their bread pudding and the Creme brûlée cheesecake. Both took a long time to arrive, but we're worth the wait. Prices on par with "date night" restaurants. A solid 4 out of 5 stars.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We seldom go to DePalma's because while lively it really gets loud and the food is usually average. The Italian sausage and pasta dish is good and the pizzas are good. Had the special which was fish and shrimp on polenta. I am on a diet and asked if I could substitute the polenta and was told no substitutes but I could pay for a vegetable. I said well I do not want it on the plate and was again told no substitutes. Was not trying at that point to substitute just did not want it but I was not even allowed that option. Never had a problem before asking for something not to be on a plate. Had 4 tiny shrimp and the fish was about 4 bite size chunks and pretty bland. Interesting there is the traditional Italian dishes but not a single chicken entree on the menu. Waitress seemed bored to be having to work. The atmosphere is fun and loud and it is a popular place to go with a good location but it is simply not a place we frequent. Many better food choices within a block.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

1:00 PM on a Saturday was a good time to get attentive service, with a small number of clientele alongside in the restaurant. Pasta DePalma was very good (artichoke hearts option), and was enough for me to share portions of it with two other family members.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

It's pretty good, but there are better places if you're in downtown Tuscaloosa. You can definitely find better food for the money.

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

A close friend and I arrived around 2pm, the restaurant was much slower than it has been on previous visits (I'm assuming because of our timing). We had wine, stuffed mushrooms, The Pasta DePalma, & The Mushroom Ravioli. Everything was wonderful!! It also seemed as though the recipes had been revamped since the last time I had been there. Everything was delicious, Nathan (our waiter) was very attentive, and we left feeling deeply satisfied!! It was a great visit!