and 1 more site!
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Tuscumbia
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Good Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Good clean rooms. I have stayed here several times when visiting family. Best price for the area. No complaints. Other hotels are much more expensive or not worth the money. The breakfast is just the typical free-fair. But I don't pick a hotel for the free food. It's a clean comfortable bed that counts.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Rick P, Owner at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tuscumbia/Muscle Shoals, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
We are pleased and appreciate that you stayed with us again. We do have a wonderful team of employees who deliver great service, polite, courteous, friendly and helpful. Hotel does provide complimentary hot breakfast. Thank you for your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed here for business a few weeks back, just one night, and I have no complaints about the facility. was My room was clean, and the bed very comfy. For a tiny room, it had everything I needed. The AC was great (cool and not noisy). The WiFi was awful, but I had my own air card for that. The front desk and other staff were exceptional in their attentiveness and eagerness to deliver good customer service, which is the main reason I booked a room here on my next visit.

Unfortunately, I have now been banned from Microtel Inn Tuscumbia, for daring to challenge "Manager" Rick Patel who tried to scam me $50 for one hour's use of the hotel lobby.

The longer story: By the time I arrived yesterday (2pm), I already knew that most of my business meetings canceled. I explained to the front desk clerk when I went in to cancel my reservation, and in keeping with the nice customer service she'd delivered on my last visit, the clerk encouraged me to use the lobby for a while until I was sure. I had until 4PM to cancel (it was just before 2). In steps Rick Patel, to prompt her to give me a 3:00 deadline to cancel. Fine. 3:00. No mention of any $50 fee to use the lobby. I work for the government, so I can't even put a charge like that (non-reimbursable) on the card I'd given to reserve.

I set up my laptop/printer, talked with the person who'd showed up for my first meeting, learned that nobody else was coming, and went to the desk to cancel just before 3. That's when I was informed that I'd be charged $50. I left my bag in a corner of the lobby, assured the clerk I'd be back to deal with the $50 issue, and stepped out to take an urgent call.

Moments later, I came back in and asked for the manager. His name is Rick Patel, which I learned from a card on the counter, as he didn't bother to introduce himself. In fact, he had a horrible accusatory attitude from the moment he opened his mouth, accusing me of trying to use his facility "for free." He wasn't interested in delivering customer service. He was interested in jacking me up for $50.

I told him if he insisted on charging me, I'd have to use another form of payment, since a lobby fee is not something I can use my govt travel card to pay. Patel's reply? "You know what? I don't want your money. You can leave and never come back." When I asked to be sure my reservation was canceled so I wouldn't be charged, his response was, "YOU DIDN'T CHECK OUT BY 3 NOW, DID YOU???" I sat in my car in the parking lot for 15 minutes on the phone with the Microtel 800 reservation number to be sure my reservation was canceled before I left the property.

NO PROBLEM, RICK PATEL. It was an unusual situation, and I didn't expect anything for free. The lobby was OFFERED by a front desk clerk with some customer service sense. And I know that the official reservation cancellation time is 4PM, not 3. Regardless, had I known about Rick's $50 lobby fee, I'd have made other arrangements. I didn't care for being jacked up for $50 and kicked out of the hotel when I objected to the bait & switch.

Never in my life have I had a "customer service professional" treat me so rudely. You can be sure that on my return trips to the Quad Cities over the next few months, I will be happy to give my money to another hotel, and to sing Rick Patel's praises on every review website I can find.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank katherin
Thank you for your concern. Sorry that you feel the way you do. The hotel did not charge any monetary value to you. Our team were polite in accommodating to you using our facilities although you did not stay with us. It is apparent that you always enjoy your stay with us and hope you continue to visit us in near future.
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel was not fancy, but for its price category it was a gem. It served its purpose as a rest stop along the journey. The building is new, our room was clean and the staff was friendly. The complimentary hot breakfast included eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy and make - your - own Belgian waffles. The pool area wasn't large but it was fine for a quick refreshment.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Rick P, Owner at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tuscumbia/Muscle Shoals, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for the review for our hotel Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham-Helen Keller. You are absolutely correct on our property being a gem and the biggest part is the dedication of service that all of our guest services team delivers to our guests. It is a daily mission of ours to ensure that we meet along with exceed the expectations of what our guests need/want. We are always listening to our guest input in order for us to keep reaching for endless opportunities to serve you all. Our pool area is accommodating to all our guests which are mainly families and extended stay along with that stated our pool is up to ADA standards and compliance too.

When it comes to "Southern Hospitality" are free HOT breakfast definitely speaks for itself as we have country gravy and biscuits, fresh organic eggs, Golden Malted Waffles, Southern Farms sausage links, fruit choices, apple/orange fruit juice, Arabica bean coffee, assorted yogurt, bagels, muffins, white/wheat bread, cereal choices, and milk.

This Microtel property has been ranked highly within Wyndham Worldwide and we are participants within "CLEAN THE WORLD" organization where each and every guest with the left over soap and shampoo is donated to Clean the World where they process the sanitary items and donate to children around the world. All for free our guests help participate in a program where we continue to support our local communities along with make an impact on a global conservation level as we are committed to energy conservation along with Green Initiatives.

Continuing Memories,

Rick Patel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuscumbia
Comfort Inn & Suites Tuscumbia - Muscle Shoals
Hampton Inn & Suites Florence-Downtown
Comfort Inn Muscle Shoals
Comfort Inn Muscle Shoals
#1 of 3 in Muscle Shoals

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tuscumbia/Muscle Shoals? Share your experiences!