“lacking info”

The Oaks - Home of Booker T. Washington
Ranked #3 of 7 things to do in Tuskegee
More attraction details
Owner description: 15-room home where Booker T. Washington lived.
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Whether it's because I missed the info or because the info wasn't listed, I didn't realize prior to arrival that one can only enter this house on an escorted tour. Here I had assumed you could opt for a tour, or just explore the house on your own. not so.

I arrived at 12:50pm and found the house locked. Confused, I called the number on the sign to inquire since I had just driven nearly an hour to visit. The woman confirmed they were open, that there was a 1:00 tour. I, still confused, told her the doors were all locked and couldn't get in. only then was I informed that entry is by tour only. I was fortunate that the tour was in a mere 10 minutes (they are offered every 90 minutes, I believe).

the website should really make this clear, and even the sign at the house should say this because it was really not well-explained.

Though run by the NPS, our guide was a Tuskegee Univ. student. Apparently it's a partnership. I'm glad to see them participating, but the guide's knowledge was nowhere near on par with what an NPS Ranger would know. I'd say over 75% of the questions that were asked she was unable to answer, or just made a guess.

Most of the house is unfurnished. The first floor is, but the 2nd floor is mostly empty and the 3rd floor is not open.

If you're going to Tuskegee to see the Airmen Memorial it's fine to come here too as part of your visit, but I wouldn't make the trip just to see this house, I was unimpressed.

Also, fyi, there is no bathroom facility here.

3  Thank rustymambo
All reviews
"the national park service"
in 3 reviews
"field"
"history"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We had the children and we learned alot about life back in the early 20th century. Also how great Booker T. Washington was and what he did. This was a fantastic tour!

Reviewed 16 January 2013

When you visit the Oaks on the campus of Tuskegee University, you are not just getting a brief tour of the house where one of America's most formidable leader once lived. As you are lead from room to room the tour guide tells the story of Mr. Washington's beliefs, habits, travels, and love, passion and dedication for the school and its students.

4  Thank MsIVP
Reviewed 1 November 2012

First home in community built with indoor plumbing. Hand built by students attending Tuskegee Institute now Tuskegee University.

3  Thank Jolai J
See more reviews
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I visited the Oaks house during tuskegee's homecoming weekend and it was definitely the highlight of my trip. I did not attend the university and this was my first visit so it was delight to tour the house and learn more about Booker T. Washington and America's history. Our guide - Levester, I believe, was a recent Tuskegee grad and a local. He was fantastic! Very passionate and informed about the history of the home and the history of the era. I could have talked to him all day. What a joy to find a Park Ranger who is so passionate about sharing our history.

3  Thank RoxxieJ