“Nice stop along the way!”

Sequoyah Caverns and Ellis Homestead
Reviewed 21 July 2012

The caverns were a great place to stop and see some of the natural formations in the area. Our tour guide was extremely helpful, answered all of our many questions. We travelled with a variety of ages in our party and everyone was able to keep up. I was impressed in the dedication that the owners have in preserving the ongoing natural growth of the caverns.

There are newer reviews for Sequoyah Caverns and Ellis Homestead

Reviewed 4 July 2012

Dark and damp and needed updating in gift shop and picnic area.

Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

Good place to spend about 2-3 hours.....I would recommend bringing a fishing pole as well.......caverns are a good place to cool off

1  Thank Jess M
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I usually don't leave feedback but thought I would do this to possibly save the frustration on someone else. I live 2 hours away & happened to stop by while in area only to find employees don't know how to handle credit cards when modem line is down. Really wanted to check this place out but they gave up after trying to put my card through multiple times & wouldn't let me see the cave. Perhaps it was because I was the only customer, I dunno but after this experience doubt if I will return. Make sure you have cash or don't waste your time.

3  Thank Bradley J
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Went to Valley Head for the Christmas in the Caverns. There were no road signs on the roads that we took. A GPS would be necessary. The address is 1438 Country Road 731, Valley Head, AL. Directions are from I-59 take Exit 239 to U.S. Hwy 11 S. Go 3 miles to County Road 731. Turn right onto 731 and go 1 mile to Sequoyah Caverns. Wear good sturdy shoes and take a jacket during all seasons if you are cold natured. A small flashlight was helpful to see the steps at night. You should be able to walk and see pretty good as things are dark and there are some steps. They do have a ramp, but you would have to lift a wheelchair up places. Park your vehicle facing outwards as afterwards when you are trying to leave, there are lots of vehicles trying to turn around and people walking and the area is dark. The performance was inside the caverns and was narrated. The performers were on ground level with the audience so I could not see most of the performance as it was very crowded (some nights about 200 people). You need to be at the site 1 hour prior to performance in order to get a free ticket. Donations are accepted. Live animals are not used anymore because of safety reasons. A lot of time and effort went into this production, but I would not recommend going just for the nativity scene as it took me great effort to get there, and I have seen many other nativity performances. We went earlier in the day to see the caverns which were awesome! Very much worth the trip in itself. The cavern tour costs $15 a person. Take your camera. Call ahead of time to verify hours of operation-800-843-5098. They are open Mon-Sat. from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We also visited Little River Canyon National Preserve, DeSota State Park, and Little River Falls. It was all so beautiful. The water level was high, so the falls were magnificent. Stop by the visitor center at Fort Payne to find out other events in the area.

3  Thank Sweetie51