“Fine overall, but probably more convenient airport hotels”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alajuela
Hotel Coconut House
Ranked #16 of 60 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Canada
“Fine overall, but probably more convenient airport hotels”
Reviewed 12 March 2009

We were looking for a simple, no frills place near the airport because we had late flight arriving in Costa Rica and a early flight leaving Costa Rica. We are not spanish speakers which may be a factor, but this is a small family run operation, so we found late night check-in or early morning check-out to be problematic. Perhaps for longer stays this would be a nice place (fellow guests seemed happy), but depending on your situation it might not be the best option for a simple and quick airport transfer sort of place. Also, they seemed to get a lot of road noise at night, wasn't terrible but early in the evening it made it hard to sleep.

BTW, originally we had no plan to spend time in Alajuela (or San Jose), but because of a bus schedule we spent most of a Sunday there, and I would highly recommend going to the main square. There was a youth orchestra playing an open air concert which was very nice.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AgainOnTheRun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
BC
Reviewed 28 August 2008

I needed a place to stay near the airport and booked a room at the Coconut House.
It's a bit hard to find and in a completely residential neighbourhood, so there is not much of interest within walking distance.
But the room cost about 25 bucks, it was spotlessly clean and I was able to buy a delicious dinner at the B&B made by a fabulous cook named Maxxy.

The owners were friendly, laid back and helpful. I had to arrange for a cab to pick me up at 4 am. I mentioned it in passing and when I mentioned later that I needed to arrange that, I learned they had already done it for me.

I can't see any good reason to spend time in Alajuela except to catch a flight out. But if you are going to be there, this is a nice, clean, economical place to spend the night.

• Liked — Cleanliness and helpfulness and the food
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank EastsideSpike
Stuttgart
Reviewed 8 May 2008

I was in May 2008 visitors in the Coconuthouse. The rooms are very clean, good mattresses. The owners are very friendly and helpfull, good breakfast. I will coming back next year!

• Stayed May 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank leonStuttgart
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 5 March 2008

I stayed here at the beginning and middle of my holiday in Costa Rica. It was about a 10 minute taxi ride from the airport in Alajuela. It is across the street from a small park and there was very little traffic which ensured peace and quiet. This was the cleanest budget accommodation I've seen in all my travels, and the bed was comfortable. The owner was very helpful to book tours, buses, rental cars, and taxis..........they take very good care of their guests! The breakfast was hearty with eggs, meats & cheeses, fresh breads, fruits, coffee, and juice. They have a variety of spacious rooms to choose from. Thank you Heike and Reiner!

• Liked — Helpful and kind owners, location, cleanliness, delicious and plentiful breakfast
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing to dislike....everything was positive!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank TayDa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
Hotel La Rosa de America
Xandari Resort & Spa
#1 of 27 in Alajuela
Courtyard San Jose Airport Alajuela
Holiday Inn Express San Jose Airport

Been to Hotel Coconut House? Share your experiences!