“Dispicable, dishonest, and NEVER THINK of staying at this hotel!!!!”
Review of Hotel Mango

and 1 more site!
Hotel Mango
Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Alajuela
St. Paul
“Dispicable, dishonest, and NEVER THINK of staying at this hotel!!!!”
Reviewed 27 October 2008

On March 30th, 2008, I stayed for one night at the Hotel Mango located by Juan Santamaria International Airport in San Jose, Costa Rica before catching a flight to Miami early the next day.

Hotel Mango charged me 461,100.00 CRC or $955.55 USD rather than 46,110.00 CRC or $95.55 for one night!!

I did not catch the extra zeros added to the cost of the room when I signed the charge slip. When I received my American Express bill, I promptly called and emailed Hotel Mango four times to address this over billing issue. My calls however went unanswered as did my numerous emails. I began to worry that there was fraudulent activity when the Hotel Mango customer service representatives did not answer my calls or my emails.

I opened a fraud claim with American Express and they informed me that the hotel claims that I called in advance to make a reservation for 10 days but only stayed for one night so they didn't refund my money. Hotel Mango also forged the words "10 nights" on the reservation slip next to my name. I am currently fighting this charge with my credit card company.

Please be advised that this hotel will not hesitate to rip you off, not just for one night, but for as many nights as they can get away with.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank MinnesotanSurfer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 26 July 2008

We arrived to an alarmingly higher rate than quoted. The person at the front counter was LESS THAN FRIENDLY. When asked for information or directions, acted bothered. The restaurant was impolite and slow to serve a lone diner! The rooms are ordinary, with very hard beds. In 2002 this was one of my favorite places to stay, in 2008 you should look elsewhere. The final straw was the DOUBLE bill on my credit card that I am in dispute on (and I did not pay for the rooms, my companion did!) Be careful, be open to other options. The shuttle and location or convenient, but many places offer this service, and other services with a smile. Check for something else!

• Liked — clean, location, shuttle
  • Disliked — unfriendly staff, COLDpool, billing errors
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Alajuela hotels

Brockville, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2008

I stayed in this very nice hotel in March of 07 for 2 nights while waiting for a flight to Columbia and was pleased with everything until I checked my vise statement on line 3 weeks later and discovered that they had billed me twice,2 weeks apart for the same room.I phoned and wrote them via e-mail explaining the problem and got no response. At first I guessed poor management,but later I believe it is standard operating practice. Beware.Visa did cancel the bill when advised of the problem.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — very poor response to problem solving
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank Jimplumb
California
Reviewed 14 May 2008

Hotel Mango charged my CC prior to arrival and then when I arrived forced me to pay again. I informed the clerk that I had already paid but he would not give us a room unless we paid again. I have since tried to contact the manager multiple times via phone and email and have been ignored every time. The hotel itself is ugly, loud, and unclean. I highly recommend staying at the Hampton Inn next door.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tricktraveler
Raleigh,NC
Reviewed 8 April 2008

This hotel is located directly under the airport runway, and right next to a major highway. Do not expect a quiet night.
Rooms are sparse but clean. Bathroom smelled of septic gas, and developed a water leak from ceiling overnight, soaking everything. Beds HARD. Noise transmits from room to room, and along the hallways, so take ear plugs.
Nice restaurant, and small pool.

• Liked — Restaurant
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple