“Local Character and Charm, Friendly Service, Free Service to Airport”
Review of Hotel Mango

Hotel Mango
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed 3 January 2010

We walked into this hotel on our way out of Costa Rica (last night before catching an early flight). They offered a cash discount, lovely outdoor -poolside restuarant on-site (food was a little pricey), and clean rooms. Free internet service, friendly English-speaking staff, and free service to shuttle in private vehicle. The price we got was $50 USD less than the walk in price at Holiday Inn Express. This hotel is an easy and safe walk from the Holiday Inn Express (walk on a sidewalk). I would recommend this Hotel for its charm and personality, and GREAT price.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank WarmWeatherVa

Reviewed 29 March 2009

upon leaving the mango I paid with my credit card at the front desk before checking out. I was in a hurry and my cab dricer was wating for me. I didn't really check the charges that well , as my glasses were packed in one of my bags. Big Big mistake! When I got back to Florida I noticed I was charged over $200 more than I should have been charged! I called the Mango and spoke to the manager, Diana and she informed me that it was there mistake and it would be corrected. after I received my next statement from the credit card company I called the manager again, she apoliged and gave me another excuse. this went on and on. By the time i contacted my credit card company I was told that to much time had passed and they could not help me. So in short I lost $200 the theifs at The Mango. If your fool enought to stay there, please watch your money

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jbraun2007
Reviewed 15 March 2009

After arriving in Costa Rica, we wanted a hotel close to the airport and one that is an Interbus (shuttle) stop. We took a taxi to Hotel Mango because there is no convenient hotel transportation from airport as described on website. ("All Amenities of a modern Hotel - Local calls at no charge. Free transportation airport-hotel and vice versa, Swimming pool, Restaurant, Bar, Security box, Internet, Facsimile service, Documents printing service, 24-hour Parking lot with vigilance, Laundry service, Money exchange, Therapeutic massage service, Tour Desk, and Car Rental." )
Cost of taxi with tips - $9. The hotel is convenient to the airport – At the end of the runway! Jet noise but not so much in the room. My $85 quote turns out to be a credit card charge of $102 plus $3.80 international service fee. Must remember to calculate taxes. Room is very basic, small but adequate for an overnight stop. I was surprised that there was little noise but we were exhausted and slept soundly. The restaurant is reasonable and good. Each night there is a special for $7. Tonight it was spaghetti, a natural drink and flan for dessert. The shrimp cocktail was fresh and delicious. I enjoyed the Plato Tipico. Breakfast included in price of room consists of some fresh fruit, coffee and toast. You can purchase a full breakfast.
Hotel service is mediocre. It is not the friendliness of the Costa Ricans. They do not respond to email questions. They do not volunteer information at the desk, you have to ask..
It is probably cheaper than most of the hotels near the airport. It met our needs for the night. I would recommend based on closeness to airport and Interbus stop but would say shop around. There is also internet connection (slow) in lobby. It appears that hotel’s further construction is on hold.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MDNPA
Reviewed 17 December 2008

We were very disappointed in this hotel. The price was top dollar for 2* comfort. The beds were terrible...ie you could feel all the springs in the mattress, the water temp was unreliable in the shower, and the continental breakfast was a joke... a few pieces for fruit and one slice of white toast...coffee.
they do have shuttle service to the airport though.
Our evening dinner in the restaurant was very good.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PMBSaskatoonSK
Reviewed 27 October 2008

On March 30th, 2008, I stayed for one night at the Hotel Mango located by Juan Santamaria International Airport in San Jose, Costa Rica before catching a flight to Miami early the next day.

Hotel Mango charged me 461,100.00 CRC or $955.55 USD rather than 46,110.00 CRC or $95.55 for one night!!

I did not catch the extra zeros added to the cost of the room when I signed the charge slip. When I received my American Express bill, I promptly called and emailed Hotel Mango four times to address this over billing issue. My calls however went unanswered as did my numerous emails. I began to worry that there was fraudulent activity when the Hotel Mango customer service representatives did not answer my calls or my emails.

I opened a fraud claim with American Express and they informed me that the hotel claims that I called in advance to make a reservation for 10 days but only stayed for one night so they didn't refund my money. Hotel Mango also forged the words "10 nights" on the reservation slip next to my name. I am currently fighting this charge with my credit card company.

Please be advised that this hotel will not hesitate to rip you off, not just for one night, but for as many nights as they can get away with.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank MinnesotanSurfer
Reviewed 26 July 2008

We arrived to an alarmingly higher rate than quoted. The person at the front counter was LESS THAN FRIENDLY. When asked for information or directions, acted bothered. The restaurant was impolite and slow to serve a lone diner! The rooms are ordinary, with very hard beds. In 2002 this was one of my favorite places to stay, in 2008 you should look elsewhere. The final straw was the DOUBLE bill on my credit card that I am in dispute on (and I did not pay for the rooms, my companion did!) Be careful, be open to other options. The shuttle and location or convenient, but many places offer this service, and other services with a smile. Check for something else!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2008

I stayed in this very nice hotel in March of 07 for 2 nights while waiting for a flight to Columbia and was pleased with everything until I checked my vise statement on line 3 weeks later and discovered that they had billed me twice,2 weeks apart for the same room.I phoned and wrote them via e-mail explaining the problem and got no response. At first I guessed poor management,but later I believe it is standard operating practice. Beware.Visa did cancel the bill when advised of the problem.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled solo