“Quiet, clean, beautiful”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alajuela
Alegria Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 58 Alajuela B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Quiet, clean, beautiful”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My fiancé and I stayed here toward the end of December and we loved it. The host, George, is extremely kind and easygoing. He picked us up from the airport when we arrived, called us a taxi when we left, and even sent us off with a hot breakfast! (I can't eat gluten and he even found something I could eat!). The rooms are immaculate, comfortable, and quiet. We slept so well and were truly grateful to find such an oasis in Alajuela. George gave us great recommendations for food around town. We wholeheartedly recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

If you're looking for an easy, relaxing start to your Costa Rican holiday then you can't go wrong staying here. George was at the airport with a sign picking us up and then up early making us a delicious breakfast. A nice quiet part off town that felt very safe. Large room, good shower and even little hummingbirds outside as you have breakfast. George is lovely, welcoming, relaxed and does a mean breakfast. Thank you!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Tuscaloosa
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed at Alegria B&B again for my first night in Costa Rica. Great place just outside of Alajuela away from traffic noise just a 10-15 minute taxi ride to airport.
I enjoy sitting on the front porch watching the friendly neighbors walk by. Some even wish me a good day/afternoon.
Walking distance to grocery store and restaurant. Local bus stop is around the corner and taxis are parked nearby and get to Alegria B&B quickly.
Good coffee and breakfast too!

Room Tip: There are four rooms to choose from in this former private residence. The two big rooms have bathro...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Three of us stayed at the Alegria during our trip to Costa Rica in November, 2013. George was more than accommodating. He picked us up at the airport, provided helpful information about the country,and served us a wonderful breakfast in the morning before we left for our destination. The house is beautiful. The rooms were well appointed and very comfortable. We spent the night before our return flight at the Alegria as well. George got up (very!) early to get us to the airport on time and made sure we'd have something healthy to eat. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Las Flores has an ensuite bath and a very comfortable queen sized bed.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Buena Park, California, United States
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I had contacted the Alegria B and B to book my final night in Costa Rica. My girlfriend and I had to leave the next morning at 6:40am. The email response from them was timely and I was happy we were planning on staying there. I can't comment on staying there but feel it is necessary to warn any would be visitors of my personal experience.

In the early afternoon we discovered that the hotel was not showing on our GPS (Dollar Rent A Car). We found the address on the website and tried that as well but to no avail. Both my girlfriend and I emailed the hotel. We never received a response and had to scramble to find another place. We still have not received any type of communication despite quick communication when requesting a booking.

If you have a Dollar rent a car with GPS you will not find this place. Everything in the country is located by name. It's not pleasant when you are trying to leave the next morning.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Sag Harbor NY
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed at Alegria 2 1/2 years ago on our first trip to Costa Rica. After deciding we would visit Costa Rica again, both my husband and I immediately thought to stay at Alegria again. George, the owner, and whatever guests he has seem like one big family. George mentioned some of his guests call him "uncle George", and it feels like a family reunion when gathering in the evenings or at breakfast with George and his guests.

George picked us up at the airport. He now has a large American-size sedan for airport transport in comfort. George made arrangements for a four-wheel drive car rental. The car was delivered to Alegria, and we filled out the paperwork at Alegria. When we returned the car, we just left it at Alegria, George called the car rental company, and the whole car rental experience was the smoothest we have ever had.

George was extremely accommodating when we showed up early. Anita, the cleaning lady, was also very sweet. She gave me a big hug when I mentioned my mother's name was also Anita.

George recommended Jalapenos Central in Alajuela for dinner, and we went there twice with George; the second time another couple who was staying with George also came for dinner. It felt like a family outing as we shared our Costa Rican experiences with the other couple and chatted with George.

If you are looking for an accommodating, knowledgeable host in a convenient location near the airport, and you would like a relaxed atmosphere in a large house, then visit uncle George at Alegria! Pura vida!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed ad Alegria B&B for three nights before flying back home at the end of our vacation in Costa Rica. It was actually the best B&B I have been so far (have travelled a lot!).
The room was very clean, big enough, had a big private bathroom, fan, WiFi, a comfortable bed, TV, ...
But the real reason to go there is George, the owner. He was so nice to us, let us park our SUV right at his private place at the entrance and made us feel welcome within seconds. At the first morning, he had baked muffins for us for breakfast - delicious!
Our last evening we actually spend going out for dinner with him and another couple that stayed there and drank a bottle of wine with him afterwards talking about everything.
Going to the airport (George insisted on calling a cab for us a 4 am!) took 10 minutes only and cost around 5 Euros.
Just perfect!