“You get what you pay for.”

Hotel La Guaria Inn & Suites
Ranked #19 of 58 Alajuela B&B and Inns
charlotte
“You get what you pay for.”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I recently spent a night in this "hotel" recently. From the outside the building appears bright- it's a lovely lime green and yellow- you can't miss it. It is close to the fast food joints and the airport but those are the only perks in my opinion. The room left much to be desired- where to begin. It was not very clean. The blankets were stained and looked a little dingy. The springs in the mattress almost impaled me. Over my head there was a crack in the vinyl "sky roof" so all night I worried about some creature falling on me. Despite this I did not notice any critters or ants, so luckily I was spared. The window panes were not very secure and there was a large gap present. All night I could hear the wind rattling and whistling. It was the most disconcerting noise.
The towels were maybe clean. The shower was not clean, there was obvious dirt on the tiled floor. I showered in my flip flops. The shower curtains had mold. The water was hot and the toilet flushed so that was priceless.
The continental breakfast was decent. My coffee cup was stained and my glass was maybe washed. The food was what was expected- no complaints there.
The staff spoke english and was pleasant enough. They were kind enough to call for a cab which came quickly. It was ~3500 colones for the trip to the airport. The night cost about $50. the reservation was made by someone else. In retrospect I would have spent more money for peace of mind and a cleaner room.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank HKnewbie2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
SWMO
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I recently stayed at this establishment with a group of college students on an agriculture tour of Costa Rica. We stayed for 8 nights and found the accomendations very comfortable. I have a bad back so a poor mattress can be a problem, we stayed there for 8 nights with no back problems. We had 30 students in our group and no one had any complaints. It is very reasonable in price and is a good value. I was told that some of the poor reviews that it has recieved is coming from competitors. If it is not fancy enough for you, go to the Hilton and pay the big bucks. It is clean and secure and a good value which is worth a lot in my book when you are traveling on a budget.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Hilge
Ohio City, Ohio
Reviewed 24 November 2011

I stayed here for three nights my first stay and everyone was wonderful! Staff spoke good English, which was a relief, suit was spacious and very clean! Jose and family could not have been more helpful in booking tours, getting local assistance for a dental problem I had, and all were able to help with any question I had!

Located just one block from the center of Alajuela, local stores and cuisine are always fast and close. The locals were very friendly and the Church was spectacular!

I will stay here again when I return to CR! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank RobertoG878
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Travelers beware. Avoid this hotel at all costs! After returning to San Jose from a wonderful week in Golfito on the bus I was hounded by taxi drivers at the bus station that made up all of these stories about why I needed to spend the night in Alajuela for my late afternoon flight back to the US the next day. I was told that a bridge was broken and that the road to the Airport would be blocked on the day of my flight. I was also told that the hotel I had booked reservations at was dangerous and that I would be robbed. What was funny was that I did end up getting robbed just not by the "Panamanians" the Tico taxista told me about but by him and the hotel staff at Hotel La Guaria Inn. First, the taxi driver brought me to this hotel from downtown San Jose and charged me $30 US even though I had asked him to use the Maria. This was red taxi just to show you that even the official taxis can be pirates. While in the car he called a couple of friends and told me he only knew of one hotel in Alajuela and that the cost was $80 but that it would be nice. I should have gotten his taxi number to report him. Upon arriving at the hotel (which is in the middle of nowhere but close to the airport) I was charged $80 to stay at a filthy bed and breakfast that did not even look like a licensed hotel. The room had small round bugs in the bed and there were no fresh towels. They put me on the 3rd floor and I didn't feel safe (what was worse was that I had to carry all of my luggage up three flights of stairs). For $80 in Costa Rica you can stay at a really nice hotel so I was very disappointed. Finally to top everything off when I exited the bedroom portion of my "suite" my iPod was missing. When I complained to the hotel manager he did nothing. If you ever get caught in this hotel I recommend leaving and finding a taxi to bring you somewhere else.

Room Tip: Lock your doors.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank micro157

Travellers are raving about these Alajuela hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 June 2010

this hotel is involved in the cabbie scam, the room was utterly CHEESY! I stayed in twenty dollar rooms that rocked compared to this. seriously, go somewhere else like maleku! thats a good hostel and they shuttle you for free to the airport.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank herbcules
basel
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Hi everybody,

First, it is not usual that I let a bad opinion about a hotel but I would like to tell you to DO NOT BOOKING TO THIS HOTEL !
Actually, it is just a B&B and not a hotel, besides it was a student room transformed by a B&B.
During the night (I was sleeping), a guy opened my door and robbed me my laptop, Ipod etc..., I just herad a noise but when I was woked up everything is done !
Nobody calls the pôlice or help me so BE CAREFUL and do not go to this hotel.

My experience was terrible and I do not want that someone knows the same way

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank jackdodo
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Adequate but no great deal. No furniture in room except for two small tables with little lamps on them. Some rooms are much better than others so ask to see a few before accepting one. Very near airport and the hotel pays $5.00 for the taxi. Simple but adequate continental breakfast. Room cost $35.00. Helpful desk attendant. I'll pick another place next time.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo