“Stay somewhere else.”

Hotel La Guaria Inn & Suites
Ranked #18 of 60 Alajuela B&B and Inns
“Stay somewhere else.”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Taxi driver convinced us the two places we considered were full. We were so exhausted so we gave up and let him take us here. Bad mistake. Duh! Thin walls, broken tv, warm shower, old springy bed, rude man at reception, nasty minimal breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 18 May 2013

The staff are Great. The rooms were full of little bugs and the bedding and furniture have been over used. The lounge chairs by the pool were almost falling apart. Aside from that, if thisnisjust a 1 night stay than I suppose it is okay, otherwise just get a hotel room in downtown Detroit.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Alajuela hotels

Mount Pleasant, Iowa
Reviewed 19 February 2013

After a less than satisfactory experience across the street we moved to this hotel for a brief night's stay, leaving at 11 p.m. for a flight back to the US. They were very friendly and helpful, although there may have been some collaboration with the taxi that took us to the airport. He charged us 5000 colones even though the clerk said it would be $6 or $7 dollars. It is a less than 10 minute trip at that time of night.
The shower was one of the best we had in the country, plenty of hot water. Except when someone opened the garage door to the street, it was quiet and we were sleeping in the early evening.
Cannot comment on breakfast since we did not have it.
The rate was reasonable for three people for a limited night and no breakfast.

Room Tip: To avoid street noise, get a room not on thestreet sides of the hotel (it is on a corner).
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank gachap
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Expat here on the move again. I was in greater San Jose area for a one night stay. A local taxi driver advised me of this great place. I had told him that I was looking for some place that was close to the main airport. I spent the night there. The room was clean, quiet and they spoke english! It is located appox. 3 minutes taxi ride to the airport. ($5.00us). They have a continental breakfast included in the room rate. Also, their is a pool. You can walk around the streets with no fear. Located with-in a block from the hotel are both fast food and regular resturants. The cost to stay... fantastic. Tax included my night was less than $70.00 us. This will be my departure point from now on when I need to catch and early morning flight.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank coatiman
costarica
Reviewed 3 July 2012

i live since 20 years in costa rica and the hotel LA GUARIA INN is still my most favorite one, because i travel with my dogs and cats, they r also welcome there ( as long as they behave well ) it is a 4 minute taxi-drive to the airport, it is quiet and also close to the center and good restaurants ! the family-run hotel has been ever since very helpful and friendly. not only that, they offer good breakfast, a great swimming pool and cheap prices too ! just amazing !

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank beachfrontlife
Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I have stayed in La Guaria Inn everytime I am in Costa Rica for the past 10 years. The rooms are beautiful and spacious, the staff is incredibly helpful and friendly. In all honesty, I would not stay at another hotel in Alajuela. It is extremely safe and secure, and is a peaceful nook in the busy city of Alajuela. I highly recommend this to everyone!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Mary J
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My very 1st time staying in this Hotel was in 1993 and the Owners Adrianna and Jose were just great to a non speaking Spanish Person. Not only did they help me get my belongings out of Customs they treated me like a person. I have sent at least 1,000 people to stay with them through the years and all of my friends and associates have never had anything but praise for how they were treated.
They have grown from 6 cabinas to a very nice Hotel. They serve a great continental breakfast, offer assistance with taxis and car rental and see that their
clients are well taken care of. Now their 2 oldest children who are very outstanding young people work the front desk as well. This a family environment that can be appreciated by all and everyone working the front desk speaks English and Spanish.
I have been living in Costa Rica for a long time working as a Notary and Expediter besides Coaching in the USA and Costa Rica and in all of my years of travel this is the only hotel that I have used they are great hosts.
Last point of interest they are very close to restaurants , PARK JUAN SANTAMARIA, POAS and especially since it only cost $6 to get to the airport from Hotel La Guaria Innthen is another great advantage of staying there.

Stuart Mahler
Head Coach CR National Team
State Editor WUSA// Regional Ranking Director
Vice Chairman
National Teams Director
Florida USA Wrestling Association, Inc.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business