“Hotel La Guaria”

Ranked #17 of 60 Alajuela B&B and Inns
New Castle, Indiana, Usa
“Hotel La Guaria”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

If there were a rating below 1, I would give it. I would rather sleep on the street than in this hotel another night. It is loud, dirty and unacceptable. The front desk people were very nice, raising the score from a negative number to the lowest possible rating. We are well traveled and easy to please, but this hotel is so loud, there is no way to sleep.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kent043

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

We arrived in San Jose excited about the grand hotel we had reserved. Our taxi driver told us he would not take his kids there because of what goes on at night so he recommended another hotel closer to the airport. So we trusted the driver who seemed honest and genuinely concerned. Well, another one bites the dust. The 'hotel' he took us to was nothing like what we had reserved, not even close. Our other hotel would be so upset to know about this organized scam, taxi drivers earning their kickbacks and taking away their guests!
The hotel was old, old furniture, squeaky beds, dirty bathrooms, horrible breakfast. The service was ok but they are out to rip tourists off too or else they would not be involved with taxi drivers driving their business. I hope this helps someone because it is upsetting and insulting.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank P1er

Travellers are raving about these Alajuela hotels

Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Expat here. Thanks to Nature Air Airline changing hub airports I having stayed here once before, and had a very good experience ,decided to return. I had called ahead about 2 weeks before. When I arrived the had me down a day before. They did have a room that I stayed in. Now I kind of wished they didn't! Seems as their neighbors across the street from them have added some very loud barking dogs. The room did not have and a/c. Did not need it for the temp. But sure would have been nice for the fan to add a "white noise". Dogs barked off and on most of the night..... Heavy on the "most". If I were to stay their again...... Don't get a street level room. I would add another star if not for the dogs!
I would also say something about the taxi kick back theory.... Make sure to have them turn on their meter. My trip to the hotel cost about 2 dollars less than the next morning back to the same spot, no meter running!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Framingham, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Unfortunately, on my last night in Costa Rica, I was taken advantage of by an unscrupulous taxi driver (yes, an official taxi). I arrived at the San Jose bus station, and after we were driving for a few miles, he claimed that there was some major problem with the route to the airport and that I would be unable to make it in any reasonable amount of time the next morning. This was all in Spanish,which I was managing but I am not fluent. I had no way of verifying his story. He advised me to go to Alajuela (which of course was a much higher fare after all of the traffic), stating that it was safer and had more places I could enjoy myself that evening. He took me to this hotel. The man at the desk at night was nice. The toilet was not flushing properly in the first room. Overall, cleanliness was fair. Fixtures were loose The shower was weak. The room was noisy from motorcycles and car horns honking. Breakfast consisted of pineapple, bananas, two types of cereal, coffee, and some tasty cake-like bread. After reading other reviews mentioning connections with taxi drivers, this place seems highly suspect to me. Perhaps there is another explanation. At any rate, I would look into some of the other hotels in town next time. I enjoyed visiting the park and central market in the beautiful, sunny morning.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room away from the busy road.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank OccamsShaver
Dunedin, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

My friend and I had been backpacking Costa Rica and for our last night we decided to get a hotel so we would be in a nicer place and have our own private room. Almost ALL of the hostels I stayed in were nicer than this hotel. Everything was covered in dirt and was broken. It was very expensive for what you get. There was no hot water and the room was loud. The breakfast I. The morning consisted of bread or cereal. Should have continued staying in hostels.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
St. Catharines, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Worst hotel ever! There was no hot water, filthy towels, filthy blankets, and BUGS! Every pillowcase had dirt on it. No air conditioner, and was expensive. The rooms were small, smelly and filthy. The location was very dangerous as well… I have NEVER stayed in a hotel this bad. We only stayed for one night, thank goodness. DO NOT STAY HERE…. It was horrible! They have a relationship with the taxi driver. The taxi driver told us it was cheap and gorgeous. He lied and we ended up in a dump. NEVER will I stay here again… what a DUMP! My 2 daughters ended up with 2 allergic reactions, and medicine there is VERY expensive. I spent $60 dollars in medicine just for 6 pills and a small cream. It was BAD.
….DO NOT STAY HERE.. (DO NOT GET MISLEADED … NOT EVEN A 1 STAR HOTEL..0/10)

Room Tip: Rooms are bad All rooms are filthy Bugs
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sunshinne25
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Taxi driver convinced us the two places we considered were full. We were so exhausted so we gave up and let him take us here. Bad mistake. Duh! Thin walls, broken tv, warm shower, old springy bed, rude man at reception, nasty minimal breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013