“Good last stop” 3 of 5 bubbles

Alajuela Backpackers Boutique Hostel
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“Good last stop”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed here my last night in CR. Walked from here to airport in about 45m (also there is a Walmart on the way if you need anything for your flight) so that was nice. Nothing too special about hostel. I walked by the theatre room which looked nice. Upstairs bar was pretty cool. Traffic could be heard from my room which was kinda loud.

When I went to my room, there was a guy sleeping in it. The room smelled so horrible, I didnt even walk in. Went to the front desk and Maria (the same Maria from Pangea) was happy to move me to another room. Later, the bartender said the guy in the room there had been checked in for a month and was definitly the root of the smell.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed this hostel. Spent two days here, excellent location and good proximity to the airport. I took advantage of the free shuttle. My room was clean and quiet, got excellent sleep. I like the look and layout of the hotel, love places like this. Maria and Kendrick work the front desk reception and they are very helpful people and very nice. Maria Jose was very helpful for me and can make you some excellent drinks! Try the Adams! Yummy! Ceaser your pizza is excellent! I want you to stay inspired about your food. Food is the Universal language and you are very good at it! I want to say thank you to the whole staff. I felt very welcome here and I was traveling alone. This was important to me. Many times a single traveller may not get this, but come to Alajuela and you will, because the people are simply polite. Alajuela Rocks! I will see you all in eleven months!
Pura Vida
Paul

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

We booked and paid for a junior suite but when we got there we were put in to a small room with an en suite - no tv, no small seating area as described on site.

We complained and were told that there were no jnr suites available and we were in a normal private room but they cost the same. We rechecked boking.com site and there is a price difference but were told no refund and they charge the same in the back packers.

There were no kitchen facilities available. There was no on site restaurant as described on website only a bar serving pasta or pizza on roof.

The whole experience was disappointing, a rip off and total misadvertising.

I will be putting these comments on booking.com also to save other people this experience.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ndonnellan24

Travellers are raving about these Alajuela hotels

Vancouver, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

just stayed there 3 days ago. very noisy with nonstop constructions and workers yelling/ screaming during daytime, feels chaotic- dont try to rest or take a nap or sleep in. alot of fellow travelers were very annoyed and another mentioned that this is terrible compare to her previously stay and was looking to move out. place is clean, got hot water, staff helpful, even have ac in the dorms where we stayed. free shuttle to ap but only available 5 times a day, otherwise pay 1000-2000 colones for taxi or walk 20 minutes to airport.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

First stayed in this hostel in October 2012 and it was great. Met fun people, bar was open and internet was excellent, beds were decent. Bathrooms were a bit worn but for $15 and a FREE shuttle to the airport it was a super great deal. This year I automatically booked them at $17 a night for my first night in Costa Rica because I had a good experience previously. Shuttle service is excellent. I was so exhausted after 48 hours of zero sleep I could hardly wait to check in and take a nap. Construction was going on down the hall so constant banging. This normally would have been a problem but I was so tired it did not matter. No one checked into my dorm room until 9:30 that night so I had the whole room to myself that day to relax. I went to the bar several times to get some ice and it was never open. Too bad because its a beautiful view from the bar with lots of city lights. The night staff was kind to get me some ice from the downstairs kitchen. I really lucked out since it was Halloween so there was a full fiesta directly across the street in the park. Lots of music, mardi gras type costumes and nice fireworks. The sink faucet and shower head were broken in the bathroom but the water was warm. Lots of dirty grout in the tub. I am assuming with all the construction that these things will be fixed upon my next visit in February so I will certainly try them again. I met great people and the staff was super helpful to pick me up from the airport and get me on a bus the next day. The internet was good on 2 floors but does not work in the dorm room. Email communication was great and booking online was easy. I have to give them only 3 stars this time because of the condition of the hostel but the staff is 5 stars in my opinion. See you in February when I leave to return to the USA.

Room Tip: They do have private rooms for about $55. I chose the dorm just to save money. Ask in advance if t...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Hello fellow travellers ! We have stayed here before and it was bad but this time we have returned to see tons of new renovations under way! Looking good and keep it up! Prices still high;) but good with free shuttle. Breakfast does not exist so don't believe the website internet works down stairs and if your lucky in the bar. Good for one night stay beside airport

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Alajuela
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

I spend my last night in this hostel. Unfortunately it was quite bad, there is no nice area for sitting around with other travellers, internet was used by service crew instead of gusts, coffe machine was broken and the beds where quite cold at night without any blanket. I cant recommend it. Seems like a place once build and never looked after.