“Mini Shangrila , a Gem in disguise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Eukaria B & B

Casa Eukaria B & B
Ranked #11 of 59 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Mini Shangrila , a Gem in disguise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I was returning to Canada, my vacation was over. I was staying 100 km south of the airport in a surf village named Jaco, and my flight was at 6:00 A.M. (had to be at the airport by 4:00 a.m.) I decided I would pick a hotel nearby to the airport, and my search brought me to Casa Eukaria. No elevators , maybe 5 ground floor rooms. My first impression was 'eureka, I found gold in Eukaria! " the decor came from their heart, not from a decor book. Peaceful, relaxing, elegant and tasteful, and comfortable, well I felt at home. When I met the owner, instantly I said " you should double your price and do some serious advertising because you have a gem here ! cleanliness, proximity to airport, maybe 3 km, and instead of wake-up service, Steve actually drove me to the airport at 4;00 A.M..There is a certain degree of stress level involved in travel, specially air travel and anything that can be done to detract from the chaos of airports, gets high marks in my books They went above and beyond the norm to make me feel like I was already home. It's more than a hotel, it's home away from home .And did I mention that they made breakfast for me at 4:00a.m., included in price, must I say more? Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

The hosts were incredibly helpful in giving us tips and suggestions to get around costa rica. They even drove us directly to the bus stop to help us out. The house is very clean and the rooms/amenities are just as good as any hotel. I HIGHLY recommend this place. Well priced and completely worth it!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Bozeman, Montana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

Nice hotel! Andres and Morin are two extremely helpful people and made my Costa Rica vacation amazing! The breakfast in the morning is also really nice : ) The hotel is close to the airport, and you should know how to get there before you arrive in Costa Rica. The staff were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend this hotel/casa : )

Room Tip: Small bed and breakfast with only a few rooms. Any one you choose will be nice : )
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Zac M
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

We booked on line from Miami, we received email confirmation and we did call to make sure we had the address correct to give to the taxi when we arrived. David the manager, gave us an idea about how much a taxi would cost from San Jose airport, which was very helpful as the taxis were quoting one and a half times the price. We negotiated the price and had a safe 10 minute ride.
We arrived at 11:00pm, David greeted us and showed us our room, a lovely serene, clean and welcoming space. New & fresh ensuite bathroom, shower sink and toilet, clean white towels and lovely decor. Free wifi with a great strong connection.

We had a home cooked continental breakfast with eggs, toast, avocado, fresh fruit, juice and of course delicious Costa Rican coffee. There is a peaceful atmosphere around the whole property and a lovely array of comfortable lounges on the front porch. David is extremely helpful and speaks great English. I will return here and recommend to friends. Very relaxed, comfortable, clean, fresh with open spaces and lovely front yard.

Room Tip: We had the front room #5 and it was great.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Barbara P
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Possibly the worse place we have stayed in.This is a house not a hotel! Right next to the police station in the middle of a pretty seedy part of town. Located between two busy streets. Rental car shuttle bus could barely find the place and when we did nobody was there. Called the number on the reservation and was told someone would be there in 10 minutes....two young guys on bikes showed up and showed us our room...didn't bother to show us anything else let alone Casino(now thats a joke) , pool, spa or anything else. When I asked them for ice they handed me a single ice tray from the refrigerator. No AC, just a floor fan, one towel , no washcloths, dirty rugs on floor in bathroom and once you flush the toilet it doesn't stop running and floods onto the floor. Noise from cars, motorcycles, trucks and people coming home from the bar around the corner at 2 in the am. At 3:30 am their mutant dog starts barking and doesn't stop. They don't have a shuttle like the advertise but if you can get someone to understand what you are trying to say you can have them call a taxi for you for your trip to the airport. Spend a few more bucks and get a room you can actually get some sleep in!

Room Tip: Pick one in a actual hotel not a house that calls itself a hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
saviles007
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

After reading some of the reviews I can consider myself lucky I was never responded to! I emailed the hotel three days prior to arriving in San Jose. I never heard from them!!! I can't comment on the rest but if they can't get a simple email, I guess the rest must be true. I ended up staying at Hotel Luisiana and that was a terrible experience as well. I am not impressed with hotel logistics in Costa Rica in general. :(

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Granada, Nicaragua
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

I arrived here from the airport and was initially put out back in a room with no sink. I insisted on another room inside the main house. My back tooth fractured while there & so I decided to get all my dental work done by an excellent oral surgeon in San Jose. Thought it best to stay put and so paid for a full month at this B&B BIG MISTAKE. The "manager" latched onto me and became very scary monitoring my coming and going. After oral surgery I was ordered to rest in bed for several days and the place is unbelievably noisy with street legal dirtbikes reving around until 2am at night. Every morning for 4 weeks, I woke up to a flooded bathroom before they finally bought the $2 hose to repair the toilet. He used guest bath towels to clean up the floor every day and they were NEVER washed in hot water ever. There is absolutely no HOT water in the kitchen sink, room sinks or showers. Half the time there was no water period. The cracked so called blue pool had no water the entire time.The only hot shower is in the building out back where the "manager"stays!. I left four days early even though I had paid for over a full month because the "manager" lost it and accused me of "stealing the gate controller", "not respecting him" because I stopped paying for his lunches!, and forced me to sit and listen to his confused jabber or he "would call the police". It turned out the gate controller was in his room as usual! Substance abuse does not a good manager make. This is NOT a safe place for any age single female to stay.

Room Tip: Adventure Inn is where I went next and it was wonderful and safe.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Ema A
CasaEukaria, Owner at Casa Eukaria B & B, responded to this review, 17 September 2011
Normally it is not the position of Casa Eukaria to comment on guests and their opinions. Everyone is entitled and we respect their opinion. All opinions are read and talked about with the owner and the manager and if changes are needed they are executed. However these comments were more of a personal attack to the owner and manager of Casa Eukaria. We fell that the guest has not painted an accurate picture of her experience here and embellished tremendously her stay here.
This particular guest requested extra help on many and we do mean many occasions and Casa Eukaria went out of their way to help this guest. After a while the requests were too many and after a while Casa Eukaria had to decline them. We feel that this is where the problems began and so Casa Eukaria simply stopped helping her and treated her JUST like any other guest. She very quickly had a change of attitude and started making the lives of the employees and manager of Casa Eukaria increasingly difficult. Let’s review the facts one by one.
Yes the guest did arrive here and stayed with at Casa Eukaria on TWO occasions and the time spent here was more than a month. Roughly six weeks to be exact. Because she emailed prior to her arrival and knowing that she was traveling with her cat and that she was planning on having her dental surgery in San Jose we put her in our largest room the garden side room. We never offered her any other room. Why would we offer her anything else? The garden side room has the space for clients with long term stays as so does the executive suite. The dates of her first stay were from June 25 through July 2. She returned from the Caribbean side and arrived back at Casa Eukaria on July 9 and was scheduled to leave August 9.
If she felt in danger why did she return for a second time and why did she talk with the manager then strike a deal for a long term stay? Why would she go to multiple lunches with the manager as she said? If she felt danger why didn’t she call the owner? The guest had access to the owner's cell phone.
The owner stayed three nights at Casa Eukaria during the latter part of the guests visit in order to give the manger time off from the guest as well as to observe the guests increasingly aggressive behavior. Did the guest make any comments to the owner about the manager? Not a single one.
Casa Eukaria admits it experienced serious water issues during her stay. Two underground pipes burst and the Insta-Hot that heats the showers of the house failed as well. The reason for the pipes bursting was because for three weeks while the guest was here the municipality was repairing the water mains in the town and the fluctuation of water pressure caused the pipes to break. She was told of this and we apologized. She accepted. Casa Eukaria fixed these issues the very same day.
It took Casa Eukaria longer than expected to replace the water heater but it got it done. The total amount of time without hot water was 2 days. We apologized and she commented that she understood that things happen slowly for whatever reason in Costa Rica and smiled and said nothing else. If the house had no heated water that means the manager had no heated water.
The leaky tube in her bathroom was a bit of a nightmare because the repair man was asked three times to fix it and for whatever reason each time resulted a failure. On the fourth the manager got it right. When the manger asked the fix it guy what he thinks went wrong each time he was sent in to repair the line his response was, Sir I honestly have no clue. “In all my years I’ve never had an issue with a simple repair such as that.” The manger knew him well enough to know that the man was being honest. This was not an issue that took a month to resolve. Also the water that leaked from the line was the same water that the house uses which is natural spring water. Much of this part of town is connected to springs. Costa Rica is blessed with much water and many homes rural and suburban use this water.
On more than one occasion the guest was reminded that the detergent as well as the hand and body soaps and dish soaps that are most often used in countries like Costa Rica are engineered for cold water. Hot water is considered a luxury and generally only used in the showers. Casa Eukaria has hot showers only and so doe’s a vast number of Costa Rican homes and businesses.
The guest stayed during a rainy season here in Costa Rica. The rainy season is considered winter here and it’s silly to fill a very small pool that is going to be filled with debris from the adjoining palms as well as whatever plant life may fall in because of the rainfall. If she ever wanted to use the area she never let management or the owner know. She had access to both. They would have filled it if asked. Also the pool gets cold during the rainy season because of the lack of sun and who wants to sit in a cold pool? Lastly who is going to use the pool during a rainy season while it’s thundering overhead?
The manger at Casa Eukaria has to know if a person is coming and going so he can let them out of the gate. Casa Eukaria has high wall and fences to provide guests and their property a secure environment. The manger keeps the remote control in the kitchen for easy access. The morning in question the manger admitted to the owner that tempers flared on both sides the missing remote issue. He did apologize to the guest but there was no response back. However the remote was not in the manager’s room. It was off property with another employee. At this time the situation between the guest and Casa Eukaria was already very tense. This was the morning of July 5.
Her second stay was to last from July 9 to August 9 until she was asked to leave on July 5. Casa Eukaria will not comment on the reasons why she was asked to leave. As a manner of common courtesy we respect our guests and will not comment on them as a person. We will say however that we can refuse a person and can expel them if we feel they have crossed a line. She MORE than crossed it.
Casa Eukaria advises the guest that she be very careful of whom she accuses of substance abuse. Costa Rica has laws that protect its citizens from slander.
Casa Eukaria accepts that it experienced a weird few days of technical problems while the guest was there. It made all necessary repairs and the house is 100% percent operational. We ask you the traveler to visit for example hotels.com’s website which is a partner with tripadvisor.com and look at the positive reviews that others have left and see for yourself that although Casa Eukaria is not the Taj Mahal it is a very warm place to stay and a fine example of a typical Tico home.