“Friendly and Helpful”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alajuela
Costa Rica Airport Lodge
Ranked #41 of 60 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Buena Vista, Colorado
“Friendly and Helpful”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

After being bounced around by the car rental agency and wondering what I had got myself into, I was told of Hotel el Cacique. I was was welcomed there as a long time friend and treated by the family as a guest they had been waiting to arrive. They gave me the comfort I needed and a place to relax for what went from a one night visit to four nights. The helped me by taking me to the bus stations or directing to what I had to do to get around in Costa Rica. I returned to pick-up a friend after 10 days and left things to be protected on my next 2 weeks wondering around. Being only a 10 minute walk from the airport was a Great convinece. Having someone give me advice before I wondered off was very helpful to my 30 day stay, wondering aimlessly.

Room Tip: I liked both down stairs and upstairs, possibly down stairs was a litlle quieter,, but to me it was...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank bunnylanecabins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Close to the airport - so I easily made my 6:00 AM flight. Johnny was a great host, and speaks English like a US citizen - because he spent a few years in North Carolina as a teenager. He also acted as guide the night before my flight and showed me around the city... and I was so glad I wasn't driving! I would recommend this for anyone on their way to/from the SanJose Airport. And the WiFi worked fine, too.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank bill_writer
Tyler, TX
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This hotel is the ideal spot if your looking for a place to stay after you land in san jose, when your leaving or if you are intending to stay and visit the capital. It is 2 minutes from the airport so when my husband and i land we just walk over. It is located right by the city park and within walking distance from restaurants, a night club, casino and convenient stores. Join the family! Maria, Jose, John and Ringo (their beautiful dog) are extremely hospitable and just cool to chill with. If your looking for a friendly AND CLEAN environment this is the place. If you need a favor, for a very fair price they will help you out if available. Plus they have water beer and breakfast, what more would you need?

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank davidcheslehoff
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I've read and agree with all of the positive reviews about this place. Family run, basic affordable rooms, clean and safe. Arriving at night can be daunting as it's on a dark side street, but once inside and interacting with Johnny and his family you'll relax. Most hotels near airports are either super expensive, total dumps or both and neighbourhoods surrounding airports are rarely picturesque. Arrive with the right expectations and Hotel Cacique will be just fine for the price and an easy 5 minute walk to the airport. Best place to eat nearby is a Peruvian restaurant around the corner, or directly across from the airport attached to the gas station is a soda (restaurant for locals) with basic fare, or even better check out the woman serving homemade soups, stews, fish, coffee and fresh fruit juices out of the taxi stand office about 50m down the same side of the street.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Irving S
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I have been traveling to Costa Rica for the past 7 years. On my first trip I was lucky enough to come across Hotel El Cacique, and the family who operate it from their home. Jonny and his family have always treated me like a part of their family. I can't say enough how good it feels to visit the city or fly into the airport here and know in 2 min I am safe and at home where I can rest.
And you can't beat the price, to be 2 min from the airport and the bus station, free wifi and cool people who make you feel like your at home.
It's a no brainer...

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank BuenaNota-1
JohnnyHotelElCacique, Owner at Costa Rica Airport Lodge, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Thanks big time for all those nights you have stayed with us! We have shared music, drinks, jokes, laughter! Cheers to the good times Bro! You have become part of my family!

- Johnny
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I stayed at the hotel for three days recently and I was pleasantly surprised at the level of hospitality I received. The owner, John, makes you feel like you are staying in his home.
The room was clean, the linens were clean. There was a blanket (surprisingly rare in Costa Rica, I've found) and plenty of towels.
If I could some up my stay at the hotel, it would be with this: my credit card must have fallen out of my pocket while I was there, and the cleaning staff found it under my bed. I never even knew it was missing. When I arrived back at the hotel after running some errands, John gave me the card. As I'm sure all travelers know, he saved me a great deal of hassle through this gesture of integrity.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs, airplanes are loud.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Do you want a $3 taxi ride to the airport? Do you want the lowest price place to stay in the Alajuela airport? Yes and Yes, Hotel El Cacique offers both. Clean, places near to eat, anything you need can be attained. John is super cool. Surfers this is your spot while in transit.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo