“Lovely experience, but it's definitely for a niche market”

Asclepios Wellness & Healing Retreat
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cleveland, OH
“Lovely experience, but it's definitely for a niche market”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I had a lovely experience here – mostly because I was traveling solo, stayed four nights (a perfect amount of time in my opinion) and was happy having the time to read, work, relax, with nominal interruptions. Having traveled alone, I would say Asclepios creates a pretty perfect environment for this. This IS nothing going on, so you don’t feel like you are missing out on anything; the pace is unhurried; it’s not an environment where you socialize with the few other guests that may be there (although you ‘can’); and their surroundings are really quite beautiful and relaxing. It’s a quick trip from the San Jose airport, and I was met by a friendly representative, just after exiting the airport; he radioed to my driver, and I was at the resort within about 20 minutes. The driver was extremely nice, spoke English well, and gave me some information on the area. Check in was easy – just a quick form to fill out for the spa (I did laugh because at the bottom it indicated that any sexual advances while undergoing spa treatments would not be tolerated), and the hotel, and I was off to my room.

It’s a small property with a beautiful main facility, housing the restaurant, reception area, offices, gym, common room (ONLY area with Wi-Fi). Just outside there is the pool area, with chaises. The rooms stand on one side of the pool, the spa facilities and yoga studio on the other. My room was Psyche (just one letter off!), and was on the second floor. It had a small porch looking out into the countryside. It was extremely spacious and very modern/Grecian. It is equipped with two twin beds, writing desk, large wardrobe; the bathroom with dual sinks and a large open shower. There is no minibar or other food/beverage option, other than a carafe of water that was placed in the room each day. I will say – bring snacks. The granola bars I brought saved me on many occasions. While you can always ask a member of the staff for something, there are really no snacks – only formal meal times, and they are at set times in the day. Other than that, the room was perfect; well, a bath tub would have made it perfect. I think some rooms may have these, and it’s worth it as it gets chilly at night.

Even though I had a good time, for what I was after, there are some definite highs and lows to this property. There is an impression that there is “a way” to do things here. There is a time to eat. And when you eat, you sit in the dining room or just outside at a table (not poolside). There is only a limited amount of foods/meals. Wine is not automatically offered (you have to ask for a menu), and, no matter when you order it, it’s not brought out until your meal is ready. However, I will say, the staff wants you happy so just express what you want. Wi-fi is only to be used in the community room (and you cannot get a signal in your room – although I could in the restaurant). As others mentioned there is no coffee served, though a good variety of teas and smoothies are available. It feels a bit cult-ish, although I do not use that in a negative way – you just kind of understand there are ways they like things done, but I found it more amusing than anything.

STAFF – extremely warm and friendly. You don’t a lot of them, but Carlos and Pablo are amazing. They were constantly providing water at the pool, excellent service at the restaurant, and tried to be as helpful as possible. As I’ve experienced elsewhere in Costa Rica, the staff was not overly gregarious; rather, they were polite, and if you made an effort, then they would open up a bit more. I got the impression several times that they make an effort to know you, your name, your itinerary, your likes and dislikes while there – staff I had never met knew what spa treatments I was getting that day – and that was nice. In the times I had a hiccup with my appointment times, they went out of their way to accommodate me. When I left, I generally felt I would be missed – really warm people there.

TREATMENTS – I found most of my treatments just “okay” to slightly below average. I tried to choose things others had enjoyed, and a few that I thought would be interesting/relaxing/etc. **Stone Massage – skip it; This is always hit or miss for me, but I wanted to try it here. It was fine for the first half, but it ended ten minutes early, and the last half felt a bit frantic and disorganized. I would book massage here again, just not this one. **Naturopathy – My counselor was an hour late, I was informed, due to traffic. It ended up being more like 90 minutes, but this was perfectly fine with me, as I had no problem occupying myself with other things. I didn’t realize until after the appointment that I had been meeting with Marisia, the owner. She is a charismatic, confident woman. My appointment was again, just okay. If you have specific nutritional concerns, this may be for you; for me, it was more of a therapy session, and again, she has very specific ideas about food, medications, supplements, life, etc; I was open to listening, but this may not be for some. **Hammam – Interesting experience. I was with two other people, which surprised me – so wear a swim suit. You go into the steamy room for 15 minutes, plunge into a pool, come out and sit in a relaxation area for 15 minutes, then 15 more in the steam. It was a relaxing experience. However 15 minutes in the steam started to actually cause me anxiety because it was SO difficult to breathe – the other two people in there had the same issues. However, they don’t lock you in there, so just go out if it’s too much! **Body Wrap – Terrible would be one way to describe it; and a waste of money would be another. I was told to lie on a table; there was no ‘choosing’ what treatment I wanted (as stated in the menu); clay was put only on certain areas of my body (which made no logical sense). I was wrapped in the plastic. Then the therapist just left the room indefinitely. The clay part took all of ten minutes at the most. She came in 20 later and said “Your treatment is over!” I probably looked at her like she was nuts. Then she asked me to stand up (keep in mind I’m still wrapped in plastic and was now standing, holding one hand over my chest and trying not to slip on the wet floor); she cleaned the table while I stood there uncomfortable, then told me I was to shower myself off when she left. The only “shower” was 3 shower heads Above the table, so basically you have to slide back onto the table, get the plastic off, and try to take a horizontal shower, while the bed is sliding around everywhere. Humorous, but that’s about it. **Reiki – I was informed that the person coming in to do the reiki was from Spain; and when he arrived (about an hour early) I happened to be in the community room and he guided me to a website where he told me to look at the (many, many) types of reiki and try to pick a few (he spoke very little English). This was like picking a needle in a haystack – I had zero idea how to do this, so I glanced at it but decided I would let him choose for the most part. My experience isn’t really fit to print here, but all I have to say is that it was odd, and not for the faint of heart. If you want a better idea, google tantic reiki (Note: do not do this at work, or when children are present; also not a good idea if you are easily shocked.) That’s all I’m going to say about that. **Life Coaching – this was the only thing I very much enjoyed, and it was the thing I almost cancelled. The therapist was an expat from the U.S., and was extremely laid back, insightful, and friendly. She uses a lot of different techniques and I found this to be one of the best sessions of this kind I’ve ever had. My session was with Natalie G, who works with Inner Balance in Escazu.

ACTIVITIES – **Volcano: Good; my guide and I went to the Poas Volcano – it’s a national park. I would have been much happier being dropped off and left to explore on my own – there are very clear trails everywhere and there’s not an abundance of things to see – that’s what I would recommend asking if you plan to go. However, after he informed me he was taking me to breakfast because he knew the food at my place was “terrible”. I immediately loved him. He took me to Fredo Fresas and it was the best food I had the entire stay! Definitely plan on asking for a meal stop! **Yoga : Good, challenging, and in a beautiful studio on site. Ask when in the week they are planning group classes, because they are far less expensive. Although I almost cancelled by $45 solo class my last day there, it ended up being awesome! Tamara is a great instructor – challenging and helpful, so I’m glad I ended up doing it. **Go for a Walk: Just across the street there is the most beautiful cemetery and a lovely plantation that you can roam around, walk through, and just generally explore. The cemetery was literally magical.

FOOD – I was well aware of the food controversy going into this trip, however I like to eat vegetarian and I figured – how bad can it be? I’d like to say that maybe I just didn’t order the right thing, but the fact is that this is not a ‘restaurant’ and it is definitely not Costa Rican food. It is a kitchen that serves a set number of dishes that – to me – made odd sense in terms of overall health, wellness or nutrition. As many have said, the salads and the soups are solid. I had a great onion and almond soup, and a very good arugula salad (I hope you like nuts because they are in everything. I do.). The entrees were generally disappointing. I wanted to give it a chance, but it was difficult. The snapper I ordered the first night was abysmally overcooked to the point that the skin was rendering off of it in those pools of fleshy globs that occur when fish is not cooked properly. I knew this was fine, just unappetizing, but the taste was extremely bland, even when I applied salt. The vegetables were undercooked and unseasoned. Next I tried vegetarian – the black bean and yucca burger. This was – hands down – the worst thing I have ever eaten at any establishment. The “burger” turned out to be three, runny, soggy patties the texture of a thick smoothie, piled on a plate with some mango and lettuce. I ate it because I was starving. I could go on, but suffice to say some other diners there seemed to like their meals because I heard them say so. But I have a hard time believing it. The stuff I did like – smoothies, juices, salads and soups, and dessert. The single entrée I had that I liked best was the eggplant stuffed with mozzarella. It was basically gooey fresh mozzarella with pesto on a plate. Again, I have no idea how this was overtly healthy, since it was swimming in oil, but it tasted good! The food is nothing you can’t get past, if you choose wisely, but there are No other options around, so just make sure this is for you.

OTHER – Dress casual, pack light. There is no obvious dress code, and you are pretty isolated from everything. Bring something heavier for nighttime, as it can get chilly and there is no A/C or heat in the rooms. I had zero problems with bugs overall.

I would probably come back here, if the price was right, but it would have to be extremely right. As it was, I came at the shoulder season in August, and I loved the way it was sunny in the morning and rained in the afternoon. All in all, an interesting, relaxing place; just be pretty certain it’s what you are looking for. And if I did return, I would spend my money on things like the sauna, Hammam, yoga and other activities that I enjoyed best and that turned out to be the least expensive.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
10 Thank Candace P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We chose this place for our honeymoon, after purchasing a Groupon- which included 4 nights, 2 massages, 2 flotation sessions, and daily breakfast. First I will start by saying that this place has a beautiful view! The view from our room was incredible :) The spa services and facilities were very nice, we really enjoyed that aspect. We really enjoyed hanging by the pool in our spare time- such a beautiful view there as well. Also, much of the staff was very nice, and helpful in all of our requests! The grounds were beautiful and peaceful, the resort is gated and security is pretty tight. Our biggest issue here was the food... the restaurant is vegetarian, which isn't so bad for the first couple of meals...and then it gets tiring- especially if your not a vegetarian. We found that we were VERY hungry most of the time. The restaurant is not open all day, just for 3 meals- so if you need a snack, too bad. They do say they will serve you anytime you want, but its hard to find someone around to serve you. To eat dinner here takes a VERY long time, usually at least an hour or 2, the server is often times the person running the front desk as well. My favorite was breakfast, always fresh fruit and a fresh smoothie, and we really enjoyed the company of the server at breakfast as well :) When we tried to leave the resort to eat elsewhere, it was a challenge because many of the locals haven't heard of Asclepios, and there are no addresses/street markings in Costa Rica. So taking a cab was a challenge. We were able to walk down to a nearby resort and eat some "real food", but there is not much else nearby.

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Besides having a hard time finding this place that's not marked on the streets that seem to be unmapped and unnamed, it is close to SJO airport and the most surprising luxury retreat that I have experienced in a long time. The spa and massage, hamman and facilities are small but top notch. The room was pure and simple, the food healthy and cleansing. There is nothing to do here but gaze at the gorgeous green mountain view and breathe in the landscape and clean air. The staff is quiet, soft spoken and as beautifully pure as can be. This place embodies the meaning of pura vida and it's a wonder more luxury retreat seekers are not found here, I think because it's so hard to find. This may not be a bad thing.

Room Tip: All seem great in this small place
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Joy360
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Our daughter gave us a 4 nights stay at Asclepios for our 35th wedding anniversary.
We got there at about 4:00 Pm on June 19, 2012
We were driven there by a local friend who had a hard time to find the place.  The resort has a security guard at the entrance gate and the entire property is surrounded with a tall (about 10 feet high) barbed wire fenced that reminded me of a high security prison.
We were warmly greeted at the reception desk with  a glass of a refreshing fruity shake. We were then guided to our room (wen chin). It is on the first floor, it has a large sliding glass door with a nice view to the forest, but with no tv, radio, clock or wi-fi connection.  Everything was fine and dandy until about 5:00 pm., that is when we noticed ants and other bugs ON THE BED.  We called the front desk and they came to inspect.  They tried to calm us down by telling us that the bugs were harmless.  We expressed our concern about so many bugs on the bed, and that we were worry about an ant or any other bug crawling into an ear.  Things got worse when we saw what appears to be a flying roach.  I told them that there was no way we could sleep in that room.  At that time I pulled my phone and started taking videos of the bed and all the bugs that were crawling and flying all over the room.  They asked us to see a different room.  After inspecting it,  we found there were a lot less bugs and we settled for that room for the night.  We're given a complimentary tea to help us calm down and relax.  We then went to the tv/computer area in order to use the Internet there, but at about 9:30 Pm they started to turn off all the lights at the property because they close at 9:30 pm. They told me that a lady would remain all night at the property.
We walked in the dark to our room only with the lights from our phones.
There were bugs flying around in the room, but thanks God, none on the bed.
When we were ready to go to sleep, Another surprise.  The ceiling fan light did not turn off.  When we tried to turned it off, it started to flash like a disco ball.  The only way to turned it off was by turning off the fan.  Can you imagined it,  a room in Costa Rica with closed doors and no AC or a fan? My biggest surprised was when I called the reception extension 0 and no one answered. That is when I realized that we were the only guests at the resort, And that there was no a single soul besides us there.  A lot of things goes thru your head,  like what would happen in case of a medical emergency.  In order to sleep, We placed our pillows on top of our heads.
The next morning, we spoke to the manager, Braulio, whom apologized and stated that he will switch us, free of charge to the best room they had, and he gave us  free hour on The jacuzzi.  Nothing big considering what we went thru on our anniversary night.
The breakfast is a plate of fruits and a fruit shake see picture http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/Selectivehomes/Costa%20Rica/d782279f.jpg
Lunch and dinner was not included in our package, but and i found them To be priced high and the portions are small, for example a small piece of salmon with a small baked potato sliced in half and a single lettuce. $17.00 us. See picture
<a href="http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/Selectivehomes/?action=view&current=photo.jpg"
after such a bad experience,we called our friend to get us out of there. We ended up staying at her home and had a wonderful time.
The costa rican c people are very friendly and the country is beautiful. We went to the Poas and Arenal volcanoes, the thermal waters of Baldi the hanging bridge, tha waterfalls of and others.
Asclepios was not for us.
Is it for you?

Room Tip: If you really want to stay there and do not like bugs, ask for a room that is not on the ground floo...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jd1914
Somerville, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Very nice and clean resort! Not a lot to do though. Make sure to book your tours/treatments a head of time or they might not be available. The food was incredible but the menu was limited. The soup and salads were the best! Carlos and Miguel were awesome waiters! Make sure you bring plenty of reading material (the local wal Mart does not have books/magizines in english0. The treatments were good with the exceptionof the body wrap/vinchy shower. Not worth the money and not up to par.I wish I would have got the contact information of the girls who were there at the same time as I was. Kim and Andrea I hope you enjoyed your extended stay in CR! Kris Le

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are awesome! Nicely decorated and a great view. Very sunny in the morning.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Toronto
Reviewed 21 May 2012

First of all I would like to bring to everyone's attention that Asclepios is a healing and wellness retreat. It's not a resort with everything you can eat and drink under the sun so please do your research before you complain. This is a retreat caters to specific clienteles who are looking for a very healthy, relaxing spa-like experience. I travelled alone and stayed at Asclepios for 8 nights drowning in luxury. The food was amazing, being that it was organic and full of natural flavours. The view from my room was spectacularly overlooking the rainforest. My room and the whole facility is European inspired and was clean crisp and beautiful. Did I mention that the view of the entire facility was spectacular as well? My yoga classes, massages and sauna sessions were wonderful as well and it really added to the full Asclepios experience. To keep myself entertained, I bought magazines and a novel, word search/crossword puzzles, playing cards, a portable dvd player and music. I've also had the privilege to speak to and know a lot of the staff there, who happen to be one of the most genuinely nice and professional group of people I've met. I also went on several day trips to the Poas Volcano, the Waterfall garden and into the city of San Jose. I have come to appreciate the beauty of this country and the people's eco-conscious lifestyle along with their simple attitude towards life. I will definitely go back again!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Angel L
Troy, New York
Reviewed 15 March 2012

After a year full of of getting married, getting my masters degree and exhaustive job hunting my mother and I took advantage of a quick get away to Costa Rica thanks to a Groupon for Ascleopois. Overall, we had a lovely time and I very quickly fell in love with Costa Rica as a whole, but the resort left something to be desired.

The grounds and spa itself, it was quite nice and treatments were expensive but great. I liked that there were some services that were not readily available here in the states. However, when we signed up for classes/services almost everything I wanted was "not available at this time." I was so upset that they did bring in a Pilates teacher (fabulous) and a life coach, but I had to forgo several others. I really was expecting to be able to get up every day and participate in some sort of class-yoga, Pilates, meditation etc. but nothing was offered because there weren't enough people staying. And things that were offered we could not get the "Group Rate" as anticipated. On top of that there was no beginner or advanced classes. My poor mother took the her first yoga class with me, and while I am an avid yogi, even I found the 2 hour(!) yoga class to be exhausting. Another woman in the class had been taking yoga for 15 years and said she had never been in such a rigorous class in her life. The nutrition service was a joke. If you can't produce your blood type she cant tell you anything. Having never given blood or been hospitalized I have no record of my blood type. I wish she could have given me a *little* advice on nutrition even without my blood type. Instead she tried counseling me on how to be happier. Whatever. It was fine, it came with the Groupon but I wouldn't spend money on it otherwise. Massages, Vichey and Hamman = AWESOME.

Rooms were spartan but nice. Pretty much what it seems in the pictures. Nothing fabulous but comfy and clean. Maid service was amazing. I only wish that there was a better curtain for the large glass doors that line the back wall. There was only a sheer curtain so you HAD to dress in the bathroom which I found annoying. Also, walls are thin-you can hear everything, just as an FYI. I have no idea why they don't leave the wonderful waterfall they have flowing during the day on all night. It would not only drown out sounds but is a very relaxing and peaceful sound to sleep to. No deal breakers but again, annoyances.

The grounds are impeccable and stunning though a bit sterile feeling at times-but to each their own. The pool and views are wonderful. However, with only 6 or so lounges by the pool, I would hate to see what it would be like if it were more crowded. Other than by the pool there is no where else you can really go to enjoy the scenery. Even outside your room there is a cute patio area with a lovely view but no chairs etc., so you really can't hang out there at all.

Some of the staff was phenomenal, others not so much. Some would bend over backwards and others would see you needing something, like a lounge cushion, and walk right by you several times before someone else helped you. Overall, they did not seem happy and I felt badly for them. You can tell the owner runs a tight ship but perhaps to an extreme. Also, many of them had very limited English. I am not one who expects everyone in a foreign country to learn English, we are visiting them after all, but it makes it far less relaxing when you are hesitant to ask questions or for anything when you know it will be an ordeal to communicate. This is particularly hard with food and especially hard if you have an allergy.

Speaking of food, perhaps my biggest complaint would be the food. I am pretty in touch with eating well and eating organic, fresh etc. So I thought I was well prepared for the meals here. Not so much. Firstly, breakfast was a joke. It's a piece of fruit, a roll, honey with some granola type stuff and a smoothie. Nothing substantial and little/no protein (which doesn't have to be meat! hello soy!?) to keep you full. From my understanding this is NOT healthy. You need a good breakfast to rev up your metabolism and keep you from over eating later in the day. This is especially a problem if you plan any excursions because you have no idea when you will get to eat next. Also there is NO coffee. I have heard that the owner does not deem it healthy. I disagree as do most medical professionals and medical studies! Coffee actually can have it's advantages in moderation and you are in Costa Rica THE COFFEE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD! Highly disappointing. I felt so badly for a woman arriving the morning we left who was more or less reliant on coffee and was about to pay my mother for her Tylenol with caffeine to kill her headache. Another problem is the lack of variability- as others have mentioned, the menu hardly changes between lunch and dinner and is mostly the same every night. We stayed for 4 nights and I cannot imagine staying longer since i was already bored of the options. Also the meals are small. I'm not a big eater- I dont expect my portions to be huge, but i have to say that I never felt satisfied or really full. And for the price you were paying I felt that was not acceptable. All I know is that I am pretty happy we stopped at the grocery store on the way to the resort. And I felt so deprived that I headed straight for the Burger King at the airport for my first take out meal in YEARS.

I also must mention that we went during November, which is the 'rainy' season. It was great insofar that it's cheap to travel, not crowded at the attractions and it only really rains in the late afternoons. However, the Spa was a ghost town with only myself and my mother, 2 girlfriends and one solo traveler there during our stay. It was a little weird and I would have enjoyed meeting others especially since there is no TV, limited internet etc. I was fine with shutting off from the world, but there was literally NOTHING to do if you weren't getting a spa treatment or taking part in their ONE class a day (if that was even offered). During the day this was ok because I could sit in the wonderful sunshine overlooking the sugar plantations but once it was night time, you were left to eat dinner and then sit in your room. Literally the place closes down at 9pm and does not start operating again until 730 the next morning. Hope you don't feel like anything to eat or drink other than the water they gave you in between those times. And forget trying to get back in after 9 if you left the grounds-she locks up the place so you have to make previous arrangements (which they are not inclined to do). In fact, it doesn't seem like they are very inclined to allow you to leave at all. Excursions they offer are limited and not full day. I'm so thankful that we did our ziplining before we got to there. We did do a trip to the Poas Volcano and Waterfall Gardens and it was more than we could have imagined. Our guide Fransisco was AMAZING and truly made our trip. That day was the best day of the entire vacation. He is SO knowledgeable and nice and genuinely in love with his country and his work. I would not hesitate to use him again if/when I return to C.R. If I were to do the spa/health experience again, I would go elsewhere. For the money this place costs at yo begin with nothing is included- no meals (other than the fruit and smoothies they call "breakfast"), treatments, classes, transportation---and nothing is particularly special about this place. So while we mostly enjoyed our time there and nothing horrific happened, there is nothing that would bring me back.

If you take anything away from this (long) review, it's this:
-Meals are monotonous and small
-No real breakfast and NO coffee
-Not much to do and NOTHING goes on at night
-Minimal classes if there are minimal guests
-Expect to nearly double what you spent to stay there in food, transport, services an any excursions you take once you just can't stand to sit there any longer

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank 8Pawprints479
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alajuela
Xandari Resort & Spa
Villa San Ignacio
Villa San Ignacio
#9 of 27 in Alajuela
Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center

Been to Asclepios Wellness & Healing Retreat? Share your experiences!